Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:35 PM

11,710 posts, read 24,822,897 times

Advertisements

"One of the issues we are facing on the state level is that politicians from the Midlands are looking at this and saying, 'If we didn't get it, we don't want anyone else to have it,' " Cordeau said. "This bill is a fulcrum for any effort that would be undertaken by us or any other group. You'd think the whole state would be on board. We're committing our efforts to getting that bill passed."

GSP Airport hoping to land Southwest Airlines | GoUpstate.com

Just because you guys in Columbia didn't get Southwest Airlines is no reason to ruin it for the rest of us. Tell the lawmakers in the midlands to quit being a bunch of spoiled brats and tell them to pass the bill already which would benefit the whole state not just GSP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,875,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
"One of the issues we are facing on the state level is that politicians from the Midlands are looking at this and saying, 'If we didn't get it, we don't want anyone else to have it,' " Cordeau said. "This bill is a fulcrum for any effort that would be undertaken by us or any other group. You'd think the whole state would be on board. We're committing our efforts to getting that bill passed."

Just because you guys in Columbia didn't get Southwest Airlines is no reason to ruin it for the rest of us. Tell the lawmakers in the midlands to quit being a bunch of spoiled brats and tell them to pass the bill already which would benefit the whole state not just GSP.
Jealousy...just like jealousy over BMW, Proterra, even Whole Foods for petes sake. Sad.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,886,697 times
Quote:

Ummm, you do know that this whole thing came up before Southwest turned CAE down right? At any rate, it's all politics and if you don't think the same hasn't been done in the past involving other areas of the state, then you're mistaken.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Ummm, you do know that this whole thing came up before Southwest turned CAE down right? At any rate, it's all politics and if you don't think the same hasn't been done in the past involving other areas of the state, then you're mistaken.
Yes, I do but that is still no reason for the Columbia lawmakers to be a bunch of cry babies and try to hurt the other metro areas in the state by killing this bill just because they might not get a low-cost carrier too. Oh and Charleston has joined with Greenville and supports this incentives package: Charleston lobbies for incentives for low-cost airline | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News

Hill said a group of Midlands senators, after realizing low-fare kingpin Southwest Airlines had snubbed Columbia, continue to stonewall the air incentives bill. Urging her audience to target those lawmakers while in Columbia on Wednesday, Hill said, “This is what is standing between us and low-cost carriers.â€

Old 04-22-2010, 08:00 AM

8,255 posts, read 13,393,821 times
I think the Midlands politicos read this forum and are angered by all the Cola bashing by Gvillians An Eye for an Eye...

Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 AM

5,595 posts, read 15,397,114 times
If that is indeed the case, then they are obviously not very wise, because luring low-cost airlines would clearly help the entire state -- including Columbia. I admire their competitiveness, but perhaps it should be directed toward more beneficial interests.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 PM

8,255 posts, read 13,393,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If that is indeed the case, then they are obviously not very wise, because luring low-cost airlines would clearly help the entire state -- including Columbia. I admire their competitiveness, but perhaps it should be directed toward more beneficial interests.

I guess you can never tell with politicians.. Each of them is looking for the "big win" and to have a ribbon cutting in their district so I imagine that it does get competative in the General Assembly among the legislators as resources/funding become more scarce. It also has alot to do with them and egos than the actual cities/areas they represent. Other than say the Chamber of Commerce, Convention and Visitors Bureau and some business interest.. most people in Columbia wouldnt be pissed off in SW went to Greenville.. I mean the average Columbian's thoughts are probably... "Oh wow.. SW may come to Greenville.. wish we had that here... maybe I will drive up there to save a couple bucks....wonder what I'm gonna eat for dinner tonight" The politicians make it a pissing match between areas ( and maybe some forumers contribute as well)

It does beg the question of... whose interest does a State Representative represent?? Your district/city or your state? Of course the text book answer is both but policy and practice are often different and often the answer becomes.. "their own interest".

Last edited by Woodlands; 04-22-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM

737 posts, read 1,656,354 times
Let me get this straight? Why should the Midlands support a bill using state money (not private) to subsidize (give money to, which I now most conservatives hate) a private company looking to expand in a region not unrelated to it? If Greenville can't get SW with it's own revenue forget it. Don't expect the people of the Midlands to hand over money to a project 100 miles away specifically in only one region of the state. That's crazy! If the tax base was big enough in the Upstate this wouldn't be a problem for them they wouldn't need the rest of the states help. I will write the Senators personally and tell them thank you! Hell maybe I'll even organize a Tea Party and tell em "Don't touch my tax money it's fine the way it is".

At any rate it sounds like a good reason to boycott SW airlines here in the cities, and there fares really weren't that much lower than Delta.

Last edited by sandlapper; 04-22-2010 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Let me get this straight? Why should the Midlands support a bill using state money (not private) to subsidize (give money to, which I now most conservatives hate) a private company looking to expand in a region not unrelated to it? If Greenville can't get SW with it's own revenue forget it. Don't expect the people of the Midlands to hand over money to a project 100 miles away specifically in only one region of the state. That's crazy! If the tax base was big enough in the Upstate this wouldn't be a problem for them they wouldn't need the rest of the states help. I will write the Senators personally and tell them thank you! Hell maybe I'll even organize a Tea Party!

At any rate it sounds like a good reason to boycott SW airlines here in the cities, and there fares really weren't that much lower than Delta.
The bill is designed to benefit the ENTIRE state not just Greenville. It clearly states that the incentives money is good for any commercial airport in South Carolina. Not sure why the lawmakers in Columbia can't get that through their head. If Greenville gets Southwest Airlines, why can't Columbia get another low-cost carrier like Jetblue or Airtran? The state is always giving tax incentives to companies like BMW and Boeing to expand here. Why not Southwest?

Last edited by g-man430; 04-22-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 PM

737 posts, read 1,656,354 times
Quote:
The bill is designed to benefit the ENTIRE state not just Greenville. It clearly states that the incentives money is good for any commercial airport in South Carolina. Not sure why the lawmakers in Columbia can't get that through their head. If Greenville gets Southwest Airlines, why can't Columbia get another low-cost carrier like Jetblue or Airtran? The state is always giving tax incentives to companies like BMW and Boeing to expand here. Why not Southwest?
Again how will the bill benefit the state of SC? By offering tax incentives again aimed at building up the tourism economy? How many years must we be forced to drink the Kool-Aid? Outside of SC most places operate on evidence based outcomes, and accountability. Not opinions and feelings. When has tourism delivered the state into economic prosperity? Does anyone have the latest unemployment rates for the state of SC, how about Charleston, Horry, Greenville, or even Richland Counties? What is the economic output of each city? How has tourism delivered? Why don't law makers in the Upstate, and Coastal regions get it? The way to economic prosperity isn't by cutting sloppy deals that largely benefit private industry and no-one else. How many people get ahead in life by working in the low educated, low paying service industry? Why is SC's answer always centered around taking the lazy way out (tourism)? Does the state think it can out compete Florida? At the least it should be investing in educational capital.The feudal system only works for those who already have extremely large sums of money. Iv'e never been satisfied with eating cake. The states best and brightest leave because the environment in SC can not support their educational attainment.

Last edited by sandlapper; 04-22-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area