Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,874,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognusty View Post
Yes we do, however my reply was to infrastructure. Those things you benefit from everyday. Roads, Dams and Damn repair, Sewage,Schools,etc. I can't see paying money to a private corp when most of these things are underfunded. You have damns that are in need of repair. Bridges and Roads that are in need of repair. School systems that are losing teachers because of funding.

I don't think it is quite responsible right now to do it. Just my opinion.

I don't disagree that there are many priorities that should be on the great state of South Carolina's "to do" list with regards to infrastructure. I disagree that more funds should be thrown at our pitiful school system but that is a subject for another thread. I just have a deep concern that this opportunity to bring SW into our area will be lost because of political jockeying in Columbia. Believe me when I tell you that AT&T absolutely moved it's headquarters in San Antonio to Dallas primarily due to more affordable airfare options and direct flight routes. This opportunity, or the loss of it, will define how many new businesses our state will attract. Given the fact that we have the 4th (?) highest unemployment rate in the nation, this is a critical situation. Folks, we aren't discussing whether or not we have to drive to Atlanta or Charlotte once a year to get a cheaper flight to see auntie and uncle. We are talking about commercial opportunities and JOBS that will not come to our area because there is no low cost carrier. Do the right thing and let your congressmen and women know that we are keeping score and this does affect the entire state....more businesses, more jobs means more tax money for OUR state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times
Quote:
You can't compare state infrastructure to private business. Its a waste for people among the state to pay to a private business for something that most will not directly benefit from.
Nice Post!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Believe me when I tell you that AT&T absolutely moved it's headquarters in San Antonio to Dallas primarily due to more affordable airfare options and direct flight routes.
Not exactly the best example since San Antonio simply could not compete with the nation's fourth-largest MSA which will naturally have more direct flights to more places.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,874,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not exactly the best example since San Antonio simply could not compete with the nation's fourth-largest MSA which will naturally have more direct flights to more places.

The example is appropriate....it is a concrete example of how affordable air transportation impacts commercial decisions at the highest levels. If it wasn't a critical advantage, Columbia would not have solicited SW to begin with. We need SW...... much more than we need regionalistic obstructionists hindering the bill......

Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Nice Post!
We have always given tax incentives to companies to expand here. How is this any different? Where were the Columbia protests over giving tax incentives to BMW and Boeing? This is nothing more than a bunch of good ole boy Columbia lawmakers being jealous that Greenville might get something better than they will. Too bad too sad I say. It's not Greenville's fault Columbia isn't aggressive in landing these things. If they want things like Proterra, BMW, Southwest, and Boeing they should quit complaining and put their money where their mouth is.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:38 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Why can't BOTH Greenville AND Coluumbia get a low-cost carrier? Why can't Greenville get Southwest and Columbia get Jetblue or Airtran? Do you guys in Columbia not want low air-fares? I can't believe people in the midlands don't care about this issue like the people in the upstate and the coast do. Is there something in the Columbia water or something?
They can and they did. Greenville has been successful with the low fare carrier, Columbia had not. Low fare airlines go where they can be successful. Allegiant has been successful in Greenville, but could not make it in Columbia and pulled out. Spirit tried Columbia and pulled out as well.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 AM

59 posts, read 111,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
We have always given tax incentives to companies to expand here. How is this any different? Where were the Columbia protests over giving tax incentives to BMW and Boeing? This is nothing more than a bunch of good ole boy Columbia lawmakers being jealous that Greenville might get something better than they will. Too bad too sad I say. It's not Greenville's fault Columbia isn't aggressive in landing these things. If they want things like Proterra, BMW, Southwest, and Boeing they should quit complaining and put their money where their mouth is.
The difference is BMW and Boeing are bringing that they brought something very different than what SWA is bringing. The two companies were relocating and establishing job opportunities that benefited everyone in the state. They created residual opportunities that maybe lacking also such as trucking, freight etc. SWA is providing a "service", which wouldn't bring in many employment opportunities.

Apples and Oranges to me

Old 04-26-2010, 06:47 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
The difference is BMW and Boeing are bringing that they brought something very different than what SWA is bringing. The two companies were relocating and establishing job opportunities that benefited everyone in the state. They created residual opportunities that maybe lacking also such as trucking, freight etc. SWA is providing a "service", which wouldn't bring in many employment opportunities.

Apples and Oranges to me

Are you absolutely sure about that?

“It’s my understanding there are now 27 corporate prospects in the Upstate alone and if they all came it would be an additional 14,500 jobs,” he said. “And all of these companies have stated that having limited flight options and the lack of a low-cost air carrier service is a concern.”

Airports around the state interested in grants legislation, senator says | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News

Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
The thing is this: 95% of businesses in SC employ fewer than 50 people and 90% employ fewer than 25 people. Neither Boeing, BMW, nor SW Airlines should get corporate welfare from the state because percentage-wise they don't provide enough jobs, not even enough spin-off jobs. That's why all the Boeings and BMWs that want to can locate in the state and even if none locate in Columbia, the capital city will keep confounding some by somehow continuing to have the largest workforce with the lowest unemployment rate. And when state budget cuts truly hit and a bunch of satellite state offices that have resulted from a decentralization of state government from the capital are closed, the capital city might need a new logo: Columbia, the Unassuming Plodder.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Why do we provide welfare for people who do absolutely nothing to benefit their community?

I am not in favor of continual giveaways to lure business, unless the potential risks and rewards are calculated in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area