Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:30 PM

347 posts, read 980,124 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize that Barnes & Noble has free WiFi now. It's been about a year or so (at least) since I brought my computer there, and at that time they were charging for it. That's good news that it's free now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
What's at the Courtyard? You're being too subtle
It's a secret.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 PM

347 posts, read 980,124 times

Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 AM

26 posts, read 40,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I just wanted to clarify this so as to save you some headache and $$! (since I'm pretty sure that the kid at ATT will be glad to take advantage of your lack of knowledge and sell you something you don't need )

WIFI refers to wireless networking based on a wireless card and router or access point (802.11x), and is a wireless version of a wired network. To take advantage of WIFI you only need a wireless card in the computer and a wireless router or access point.

In the case of hotels, businesses, airports, etc that provide free WIFI, you only need a wireless card in your laptop, as the company is providing the access point for you to connect to. If you laptop doesn't have a wireless card built in, then you can pick one up at your local Best Buy or other electronics store for $50 - $60.

The services sold by your wireless (cell phone) company are not WIFI, but are a wireless technology that are based on wireless (cell) phones. They have different names depending upon the carrier (3g / 4g) but connect via the cell phone system, and act as a modem. These systems give you access anywhere that you have cell service, but usually can't compare to the speed that you will get from WIFI, and of course have a monthly fee / contract.

There is a good chance that your laptop has WIFI built in already. Look for the term 801.11.xx in the paperwork or even on the machine itself. If not you can probably carry it into the local electronics store and they'll get you set up quickly.

Thank you very much! Now I understand how this dumb thing works! I checked my laptop, and it does have an "Orinoco Wireless" card already installed, and I could configure it OK. Now I guess I have to find a WIFI hotspot to test it out.

I really appreciate all the help you folks have given me.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafman View Post
I really appreciate all the help you folks have given me.
I think this is indicative of the general friendliness of this area and one reason why Greenville continually ranks high in various relocation guides.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:14 PM

26 posts, read 40,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I think this is indicative of the general friendliness of this area and one reason why Greenville continually ranks high in various relocation guides.

Enjoy your visit!

It isn't actually a visit. We're moving to Greenville. Mountains, flyfishing, great people and....no alligators!

Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafman View Post
It isn't actually a visit. We're moving to Greenville. Mountains, flyfishing, great people and....no alligators!
That's even better! Welcome!

Good luck in your search for a rental (saw the other thread). Wish I could help, but have no experience in that department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area