Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 07:57 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I see them more as complementary. Their formats and targeted customers are different.....certain thing Whole Foods does very well that TJ's doesn't compete on well (bakery, hot foods, health and beauty, name brands, etc). Certain things TJ's does well that Whole Foods doesn't compete on (price, cheap wine, specific TJ's branded goods).

If most people are like me, they'll cross shop and buy some at both stores, especially given the fact they are only a block apart.
I agree with this. When I move to Greenville, I am sure I will go to both because there will be certain things I love and can only get at one of them. Not much crossover IMO - they are very different stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:36 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
The title of this thread is "Trader Joes possibly coming to Greenville".

Shouldn't that now be changed to "Trader Joes is here".

Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 AM

137 posts, read 396,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I see them more as complementary. Their formats and targeted customers are different.....certain thing Whole Foods does very well that TJ's doesn't compete on well (bakery, hot foods, health and beauty, name brands, etc). Certain things TJ's does well that Whole Foods doesn't compete on (price, cheap wine, specific TJ's branded goods).

If most people are like me, they'll cross shop and buy some at both stores, especially given the fact they are only a block apart.
In my experience (in Southern California TJ's) the real reason TJ's exists is the wine selection and they still make a good profit there even with the great prices. They PACKAGE the produce (several items per plastic bag, etc.) to help their costs, but it sure hurts the appeal. I feel like they are a store the Jone's are considered to shop in and the crowds follow. Whole Foods is somewhat the same, but definitely with a modest reputation for wholesome items. I don't see many people passing Whole Foods (say, coming from Simpsonville) to get to TJ's after the newness is over, because WF also has a prestige ambiance.

That being said, it is possible to get "stuck" on certain TJ proprietary items, and travel the distance because its the only source for those. People who have the luxury to have lots of shopping time especially will hit TJ's for just a few items, week after week. That happens with hardly any other food store. But I wager those items WON'T be the produce.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurx View Post
In my experience (in Southern California TJ's) the real reason TJ's exists is the wine selection and they still make a good profit there even with the great prices. They PACKAGE the produce (several items per plastic bag, etc.) to help their costs, but it sure hurts the appeal. I feel like they are a store the Jone's are considered to shop in and the crowds follow. Whole Foods is somewhat the same, but definitely with a modest reputation for wholesome items. I don't see many people passing Whole Foods (say, coming from Simpsonville) to get to TJ's after the newness is over, because WF also has a prestige ambiance.

That being said, it is possible to get "stuck" on certain TJ proprietary items, and travel the distance because its the only source for those. People who have the luxury to have lots of shopping time especially will hit TJ's for just a few items, week after week. That happens with hardly any other food store. But I wager those items WON'T be the produce.
I see what point you are making, but if your analysis was correct about TJ's, then they wouldn't have grown from their original store. TJ's has become a successful chain because they are careful of what markets they enter and very careful of what products they offer and what kind of clientele they can bring into the doors. TJ's is well aware of their competition in this area.

I think TJ's will be fine. Will they grab the mother of 5 who cuts coupons and shops at Walmart for the discounts? That mother may only visit TJ's once in a while, then again, that's probably not the kind of customer TJ's is courting.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 AM

137 posts, read 396,722 times
USNRET:

I don't have any different opinion of Trader Joe's than you do as far as I can see. I certainly didn't mean to imply that they couldn't make a go of it, or didn't deserve someone's business. You are right that they are careful to "court" business, as you finally said, and they design every small aspect of their marketing approach. They will be a great success in Greenville, especially in that location!

I just happen to be very practical about shopping, and don't follow the crowds, but DO look at quality, ingredients, and keep health as a primary objective when I shop for food. Therefore I am more likely to spend my money at a health food store, or a farmer's market, or a local grower's store than at Trader Joe's. Just my set of values. But I am way in the minority. I still see TJ's as a store which attracts with glitz and pizzaz, not good food values. I would tend to shop very little there even if they were next door to me.

Since you sensed my bias in my post, I thought I better expound on it and clarify it. It will only add to the overall discussion about TJ's. Maybe we can get some input on health as it relates to TJ food!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurx View Post
USNRET:

Maybe we can get some input on health as it relates to TJ food!
Personally, I can tell you that much of the food I buy at TJ's is healthy, or at least a healthier version over other brands. Of course, my favorite cookies there, Mint JoJo's (leave some on the shelf it they're there first day shoppers) or the Pistachio White Choc. Chip cookies are definitely NOT healthy for you, but they also don't have all the cr*p other cookies have.

Trader Joes puts out pamphlets/flyers that list all the nutrition information you need on what I guess is most of their products

Scroll down to the bottom of this page, you'll see links for products that are Vegan, Kosher, etc.

Trader Joe's

For instance, below is a link to foods considered to be Fat Free:

http://www.traderjoes.com/pdf/lists/list-fat-free.pdf

Old 10-21-2010, 07:48 AM

For those of you who are going to experience Trader Joes for the first time might wonder why they ring the bell, I did for a long time before asking...

What do the bells mean at my local Trader Joe's?

It's a kind of Trader Joe's Morse code. Those blustery PA systems just didn't feel right to us, so we came up with a simple system to communicate - island style. One bell lets our Crew know when to open another register. Two bells mean there are additional questions that need to be answered at the checkout. Three bells call over a manager-type person. Honestly, it's much easier than the ole message in a bottle trick

Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,807,609 times
I understand you now thurx. We all could use more choices that are healthier. It's just too bad that at least the perspective is eating healthy means spending more $$$ and time.

Looks like TJ's will bring a better option over the normal discount supermarkets.

I walked by today at lunch and things are looking really nice inside. Saw Trader O's cereal for only $1.99. Some of the staff waived at me as I looked inside. Looks like it will be nice place to shop.

So who from CD will be the first to shop there tomorrow? I won't be over until lunch.

One thing I noticed today as I walked through the parking lot at noon, there wasn't a whole heck of a lot of parking left. You may have to park out by Home Depot. I expect that area to very busy Friday and for several weeks until the things settle down.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
ONLY a little over 8 hours away until chaos erupts. Hopefully they have police on hand. Those women with their purses don't mess around.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
ONLY a little over 8 hours away until chaos erupts. Hopefully they have police on hand. Those women with their purses don't mess around.

Yes, so any men who want to take their life in their own hands and attend the grand opening better remember this fact! And so should any police standing in their way!

Good luck TJ's Shoppers, my thoughts are going to be with you tomorrow!I'll be with you in spirit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area