Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:09 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times

Advertisements

Thank you Skyliner! Btw, I also shop every now and then at a local Indian store, so that's useful info for me.

NewYorkBorn, thank you very kindly, but I'm still in FL so it may be a while before I find out what they have if G'ville indeed ends up being my destination (the air quality thing has me a bit concerned...), hope you don't mind if later on I do have take you on your offer to PM you though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 05:19 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
A Hebrew Market? I had no idea!
Actually, it is a Middle Eastern market, not Hebrew unfortunately. The name 'Holy Land International Grocery and Halal Meat' had me fooled at first glance (didn't notice the "halal meat" part until this afternoon). It looks like a very nice place though for anyone needing Middle Eastern grocery products.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Hi everyone, I am again thinking of moving, this time very seriously as my health can't take much more of the weather here and the Greenville area continues to be in my min.

I know it's not a "big" city (though more than big enough for me) so I don't expect it to have "everything" and I used to be very adaptable where food is concerned but after living in S. FL for nearly 13 years I've gotten used to finding foods I grew up with easily, and because of some dietary restrictions (must absolutely avoid wheat, and eat dairy sparingly especially during summer months) I stretch my food choices by buying some hispanic foods like plantains, yuca (manioc), coconut milk, Dominican casabe, oriental rice noodles and things like that which I get here at supermarkets where they are cheaper than at health food stores.

Thanks in advance for any info.
I don't live in Greenville but I know there is a Whole Foods Store there which carries most of what most ethnic markets carry. There you can get Amaranth, Buckwheat and Buckwheat noodles, Quinoa and Quinoa noodles, Spelt, etc etc. They also have numerous cheese and safe and healthful sugar alternatives. It may not be at a discount but you'll get quality for your money--and it won't be a rip off.

They also specialize in carrying foods for people with food sensitivities. If I were you and was moving to Greenville, that is where I would shop all the time (until I discovered better less expensive alternatives).

I'm in Charleston and altho there are a few Asian Markets within a half hour of where I am, Whole Foods is much closer and I do most of my shopping there.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
You won't have any problem finding what you're looking for in the area. I too am from SOFLA (Kendall) and I've definitely passed enough Asian Mkts and a few Latin markets as well. Walmart does carry Goya and others, just depends on what you are looking for. A few health food stores as well, Whole Foods like in FL along with Earth Fare, among other small ones I've yet to find. We buy a lot of Middle Eastern food, and while Pita House has a decent selection, the prices are definitely higher than down in SOFLA, but at least they are available. Not to worry.

staying in FL is just killing me so I need to get out of here.

I can totally relate! Born and raised in Miami, hate it! We bought a home in Greer and are doing a "slow move" there. Just came back to SOFLA on Sunday and hated leaving/coming back to FL!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:35 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times
Thank you both, it looks like I really won't have any problems if God allows me to go there, for me this is not just a decision "made with my head" (but I think not many will understand though).

Eldemila, I was just given some flack at the FL forum for stating my opinion/experience in the area where I live. For some people S. FL is paradise (and good for them!) so they can't believe anyone at all could be unhappy here, that's a very narrow-minded view, as I told them there's no "one-size-fits-all", otherwise the 50 states wouldn't exist, right? I'm going to DM you if you don't mind, I'd love to have more input from someone from around here who has already taken steps to move there!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:41 AM

98 posts, read 203,695 times
Hey there
I'm from Boca Raton, and lived there for most of my life, about 25 yrs...my parents lived there about 30 yrs. Moved to the Upstate and built on land up here about 2yrs ago. In my neighborhood, when I still had my FL tags, when I moved in, people stopped by every week to say hello. Alot of them are former south FL peeps who have moved here too...just in my neighborhood there are people from Pembroke Pines, Davie, Delray Bch and Ft. Myers.
No doubt about it, South FL has changed - all for the worse. Crime is everywhere, traffic sucks -even with 5-7 lanes on 95, the people are very rude for the most part and it can be a very expensive place to live as cost of living/homeowners insurance/property taxes/HOA's are out of control. I was fortunate to sell while I was still ahead, but most of my friends down there are all upside down, some upwards of 150-200K on their houses. Essentially, they are in no-win situations.
There are many things to like about the Upstate area. The people, first and foremost, are what I noticed. Huge difference. Much nicer. Also, the morals and values are more solid up here. Instead of swingers clubs and strip clubs on every corner, you'll notice alot more churches. Unlike south fl, there are far fewer jewish people here. Mostly different demoninations of Christian faith.
Cost of living here is half of that of South FL. The traffic can be iffy at times, but that's bc the highways here are only 2-3 lanes. You don't have the 5-7 lane madness of I-95 anywhere around here.
The only negatives I have experienced would be the nightlife here, which is nothing like South FL (although that might not be important to you, and to be frank, nowhere in the US has the nightlife of South FL, except for Vegas LOL), and the restaurants. While in South FL, there are a ton of great restaurants and culinary choices everywhere, here in Greenville, they are mostly downtown. Another negative for me at least is that alot of restaurants here still allow smoking. Also, still somewhat conservative regarding alcohol sales on Sunday - I'm not a smoker and don't drink that much, but who cares if booze is sold on Sunday? This isn't 1750, right?
Boca and south FL will always be home, but this is a nice area. Definitely takes a little getting used to as it's very different from South Fl...but, in my opinion, a good different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Thank you both, it looks like I really won't have any problems if God allows me to go there, for me this is not just a decision "made with my head" (but I think not many will understand though).

Eldemila, I was just given some flack at the FL forum for stating my opinion/experience in the area where I live. For some people S. FL is paradise (and good for them!) so they can't believe anyone at all could be unhappy here, that's a very narrow-minded view, as I told them there's no "one-size-fits-all", otherwise the 50 states wouldn't exist, right? I'm going to DM you if you don't mind, I'd love to have more input from someone from around here who has already taken steps to move there!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLtransplant View Post
Hey there
Another negative for me at least is that alot of restaurants here still allow smoking.

If you eat at any restaurant inside the city limits of Greenville, smoking is forbidden. Greenville passed a "no smoking inside" ordinance/law.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
If you eat at any restaurant inside the city limits of Greenville, smoking is forbidden. Greenville passed a "no smoking inside" ordinance/law.
You can purchase alcohol on Sundays in the city limits as well.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM

98 posts, read 203,695 times
Exactly, but the city limits are what 25 sq mi? The Upstate area in general is large....so, unless you live in the city limits or within close proximity, sit in the non-smoking section at all the restaurants everywhere else. LOL
South FL banished smoking in the tri county area 10-15 yrs ago, so it was a huge surprise to see that smoking was still so prevalent in this area in public spots that are outside of the downtown 25 sq. mile area of city limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
You can purchase alcohol on Sundays in the city limits as well.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 AM

I'm sure it is difficult for some people to drive 10, 20, 30, or 40 minutes just to eat in a completely smoke-free environment and/or purchase alcohol on Sunday. Fortunately there is a centrally located area in the Upstate full of options. Not long ago, we didn't have even a single option (for Sunday alc. sales) in the entire Upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area