Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

My sister lost a child almost 1 year ago. How should I acknowledge this anniversary and let her know I'm thinking of her without causing any more pain than she is already in? I sent a card on the child's birthday. She appreciated that, but this is different. I also don't know, going forward, how to deal with these dates year after year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Maybe you should just ask your sister.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:40 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
My cousin lost her son when he was two months old to SIDS. On the first anniversary, I sent her a single white rose in a vase with a blue ribbon. For the next three years, I did the same thing, but on the fifth anniversary, I sent her a miniature rose bush that she could plant outside. He would now be 38 years old. They don't live in that house anymore, but she says the bush was such a beautiful reminder every spring when it would begin to bud, and she loved the roses in full bloom.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
My cousin lost her son when he was two months old to SIDS. On the first anniversary, I sent her a single white rose in a vase with a blue ribbon. For the next three years, I did the same thing, but on the fifth anniversary, I sent her a miniature rose bush that she could plant outside. He would now be 38 years old. They don't live in that house anymore, but she says the bush was such a beautiful reminder every spring when it would begin to bud, and she loved the roses in full bloom.
Marcy, what a beautiful gift.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Maybe you should just ask your sister.
ask her if i should send her a card or gift??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
that was a very nice thing to do.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
ask her if i should send her a card or gift??

that was a very nice thing to do.
Just ask what you can do to acknowledge the life and passing of this child. Let her decide what she would like.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:09 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
I can't see anyone answering, "Yes, I'd like you to send me a gift." I really like the idea expressed above, of sending a flower or a flowering plant. Just something to say, "Thinking of you today."

Old 03-27-2014, 02:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
My daughter's friend, whom she has known since age 4, lost her daughter at age two. Every year, on the anniversary date, they visit the grave at the children's cemetery, and let a few white balloons soar off into the sky. I do like the idea of planting a rosebush, which will bloom every year. And if there is a grave site, planting some bright yellow daffodils.

Depending upon where you live, maybe you could start a new tradition, maybe just going for a long walk, or maybe going out for ice cream sundaes! It is the idea of being with her, and "standing by her side", which shows the love. And I don't mean that literally -- you can live on opposite sides of the world and manage to send a beautiful, loving handwritten letter!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Just ask what you can do to acknowledge the life and passing of this child. Let her decide what she would like.
I don't think you understand what I'm asking. If I lived close to her, I suppose I could ask what she had planned and if she wanted company. I live out of state, and was thinking of sending a card, or something. Asking her if she wants me to send a card or flowers would be silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I can't see anyone answering, "Yes, I'd like you to send me a gift." I really like the idea expressed above, of sending a flower or a flowering plant. Just something to say, "Thinking of you today."
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
My daughter's friend, whom she has known since age 4, lost her daughter at age two. Every year, on the anniversary date, they visit the grave at the children's cemetery, and let a few white balloons soar off into the sky. I do like the idea of planting a rosebush, which will bloom every year. And if there is a grave site, planting some bright yellow daffodils.

Depending upon where you live, maybe you could start a new tradition, maybe just going for a long walk, or maybe going out for ice cream sundaes! It is the idea of being with her, and "standing by her side", which shows the love. And I don't mean that literally -- you can live on opposite sides of the world and manage to send a beautiful, loving handwritten letter!!!
Thank you. I kind of like the idea of marking the day with my own children, since I live far away and can't physically be with her. I like the idea of doing that on his birthday better than doing it on the day of his death, though. Maybe I'll send flowers, or make another donation to the charity they chose when he passed.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,818,181 times
A card or a bunch of flowers, or a plant, anything really.....with "Thinking of you on this day....call me any time if you need to talk or if you need anything."

I have a good friend whose only daughter died in a freak automobile accident at the age of 22. I have always sent something like this to her, if not a gift or card, at least an email. She seems to appreciate.

The important thing is the feeling behind it, the love you are sending to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning