Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 01:12 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times

Advertisements

Same here - just checking in wishing elston and cyn the best in their respective situations.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Good morning all!
Having strange feelings not sure what they are. Just overwhelmed I guess. Now the money issues are really starting to bother me. I need to talk to an attorney to figure out how to deal with this problem.
I also have several tests coming up and some treatments. Guess my doctor wants to see what the cat scan shows next week before he tried to do a biopsy on the lungs. I'll just be happy to get something done that I understand! Just happy my girlfriend is coming next week--same day I get that full pet/cat scan. A busy day! Maybe she will help me better understand what is going on. Mean time now my daughter is sick--hope it's not the flu..probably just over-stressed. Last week was the worst!!!!
Sure hope all is going well for elston..and everyone has a blessed day.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:59 AM

815 posts, read 981,425 times
Good morning cyn. I know you will feel better when your friend comes. It is so overwhelming for you to deal with everything on your own. Waiting and worrying and wondering what is happening can be such a mental drain. I know it's not easy, but try to stay focused on the things that you CAN control.
And get as much rest/sleep as possible.

We are bracing for a big hurricane here in north Florida. I am a nervous wreck. We don't live directly on the coast, maybe 30 miles inland, so I'm not worried about flooding. But we live in the woods with lots of big trees that could easily fall on our house if there hurricane winds. And it's likely we will lose power for several days or even a week or more. I think if it was just my husband and I, we would probably evacuate, but having 13 rescue dogs makes that not an option

Wish us luck!

Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Cyn, all you can do is take a day at a time, and soon this will be behind you. Just go with the flow as best you can.

We are watching the hurricane too. Hubby and I always ride it out with our generator set up if needed, but now he’s recovering from shoulder surgery, so not sure if we’ll be able to be as prepared this time. There’s always something.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:06 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Fortunately Michael will swing around my part of SW Florida. Elston's too. Best wishes to those north of us.

Cyn, when you start your chemo and or radiation, do not come in contact with any children or sick people if you can help it. That goes for your gf too. You don't want her brining germs back to you. Doctors recommend shopping at off peak hours. Not between 4-6 p.m. Just imparting some knowledge I have learned. If at all possible, if you go out into crowds, wear a surgical mask.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:17 PM

I don't even go out now much sadly!
Molly, be safe and I will be praying for you and your critters. No power outages either!!

Old 10-10-2018, 04:09 AM

Good morning all. Please stay safe for all of those in the way of this hurricane.
I have that pain back in my side again--not sure why. For some reason these doctors seem to take their time between appointments. I guess they know what they are doing.
Have a blessed day everyone!

Old 10-10-2018, 04:35 AM

Keeping those prayers going for everyone especially elston and Molly!!

Old 10-10-2018, 09:08 AM

815 posts, read 981,425 times
So far, so good.
We still have power, and just a light rain and no winds.
Of course, the worst is still yet to come.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:46 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning all. Please stay safe for all of those in the way of this hurricane.
I have that pain back in my side again--not sure why. For some reason these doctors seem to take their time between appointments. I guess they know what they are doing.
Have a blessed day everyone!
My sympathies and best wishes for those in the direct path of this hurricane-been there done that and it's terrible, and the aftermath is even worse. We're looking at the storm clouds dragged along south (in the outer bands) of Michael, a bit breezy with occasional rain, but not bad at all. We're grateful this storm passed by us but boy I feel for our fellow Floridians in the panhandle and our neighbors to their north and east (GA, ALA, NC, SC). The only saving grace is the storm is moving fast, not hanging around for days like Florence did.

Cyn, I always assumed that with a diagnosis of cancer that the docs and other healthcare providers moved to get things done ASAP, but I've also seen where they waited a few weeks, even a month or two for tests, surgery for friends I knew with cancer. I never understood that either, but hoped it meant the cancer wasn't growing too fast and they could afford to wait.

But even with the wait for appointments, if you have concerns, have signs or symptoms that you think your doctor ought to know about and maybe doesn't, it'd be a good thing to call the office (speak to the doc, or a nurse there) and let them know. They can evaluate your symptoms, either act on your information, or at the least reassure you if it's something minor or expected. That's what they are there for, and it would help your psyche to have any questions answered, to know that you have informed your docs of what's going on and make you feel less (hopefully), that you're just hanging out there on a limb all by yourself waiting for them to get around to treating you.

And the finances..... you aren't alone, there are so many people in that boat, and I promise you your doctors and other healthcare providers are well aware of the scope of this problem. What I'd probably do in your shoes at some point would be to speak to someone in the doc's office, hospital, other healthcare facilities (a manager or someone in their billing departments, or a social worker in one of these places could direct you to the right person to talk to) to get some help. Or perhaps one of your family members can do this if you're just not feeling up to it. There are programs out there to help
people who need such help, and healthcare facilities will often significantly discount their services and allow you tp set up a payment plan, but you have to ask. In any case, a healthcare facility social worker will know what programs (public or private) are out there that might help you out. Also, pharmaceutical companies often have programs to help cover the costs of the expensive drugs used for chemotherapy, or there might be clinical trial programs you can get into which will cover at least some of your costs. Ask your providers about what's out there!

The important thing for you is to concentrate on beating this cancer thing, and know that the finances will work out one way or the other (perhaps in ways you can't even imagine right now). I know it's easy to say, much harder to do, but if you're able to try and not worry about how you're going to pay for all this (and you know you have lots of company in that boat), it might help you to live your life, sleep, rest and concentrate on getting well a little better. There are folks out there who will help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning