Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:51 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times

Advertisements

Inkpoe - My condolences on the loss of your father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:51 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
It's been a little over 2 weeks now. It doesn't really feel... "real". It's been kinda crappy, with my (maternal) grandmother's passing, an issue from a particular neighbor, my dog getting struck, and overall just having to sort through my dad's things. He's kept a lot of papers. Random ones at that, like old bills, taxes from 2002... but we can't find the more recent ones-- I think he actually shredded those. I was wondering why he'd shred the more recent ones but not 2002. At least, the kids had fun shredding tons of papers.

That last night of my dad's life, I left my brother at the hospital with my dad and came home. I was feeling completely ragged and burnt out. But my middle child was still up, waiting for me. She's 4 1/2 years old. My husband had explained to her in the simplest terms that my dad wasn't coming back and she wanted to confirm it with me. So, Grandpa's body isn't working anymore? He's going "up"? Yes, he is. And she says: "So... He's going to College, then?" Odd, but we laughed.

I had to ask my uncle for the name of the funeral home that my family used for generations. Before I left to the hospital, I had asked my husband to Kik me the address. He was flabbergasted. The funeral home was actually located on College Street. I don't know, it did weirded us out a bit. I do wonder if my dad's spirit visited my daughter and told her "College" to make sure that we chose the right final place for him. My daughter doesn't know why she brought up the College thing. I know some will just dismiss it as a coincidence. But I do wonder. My sister and I do think he was there to meet my grandmother because she died just after we laid him in the ground.

Sorry, I'm just rambling on.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:29 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
That's okay, Inkpoe. That is why and what we do here. I got goosebumps reading about "College". Who knows,could be. I'm sorry about your Grandma but I am sure your Dad was one of many to meet her.

Peace to you and yours.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:10 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It's been a little over 2 weeks now. It doesn't really feel... "real". It's been kinda crappy, with my (maternal) grandmother's passing, an issue from a particular neighbor, my dog getting struck, and overall just having to sort through my dad's things. He's kept a lot of papers. Random ones at that, like old bills, taxes from 2002... but we can't find the more recent ones-- I think he actually shredded those. I was wondering why he'd shred the more recent ones but not 2002. At least, the kids had fun shredding tons of papers.

That last night of my dad's life, I left my brother at the hospital with my dad and came home. I was feeling completely ragged and burnt out. But my middle child was still up, waiting for me. She's 4 1/2 years old. My husband had explained to her in the simplest terms that my dad wasn't coming back and she wanted to confirm it with me. So, Grandpa's body isn't working anymore? He's going "up"? Yes, he is. And she says: "So... He's going to College, then?" Odd, but we laughed.

I had to ask my uncle for the name of the funeral home that my family used for generations. Before I left to the hospital, I had asked my husband to Kik me the address. He was flabbergasted. The funeral home was actually located on College Street. I don't know, it did weirded us out a bit. I do wonder if my dad's spirit visited my daughter and told her "College" to make sure that we chose the right final place for him. My daughter doesn't know why she brought up the College thing. I know some will just dismiss it as a coincidence. But I do wonder. My sister and I do think he was there to meet my grandmother because she died just after we laid him in the ground.

Sorry, I'm just rambling on.
It is very possible he told her. My grandfather died when I was 10 & he came to me to tell me everything was OK. 10 minutes later we got the call that he was gone. I think that is one of the reasons I don't fear death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning