Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 02:14 PM

335 posts, read 356,801 times

Advertisements

My grandpa is dying. I made a trip from Los Angeles to hang out with him and my grandma for a few days. His memory is shot and doesn’t really understand or know what’s happening to him anymore. He recognized me and knew who I was. I met the at home hospice nurses.

My mom, grandpa and grandma just dropped me back off at the airport to fly back to realty. I hugged my grandpa but wasn’t sure what to say. I said, “take good care of grandma for me.” I couldn’t say “see you at Christmas” or “see you later” because I most likely won’t.

He said, “you are a good guy.” almost as if he knew it would be the last thing he said to me. His memory is shot and probably has no idea that he is dying, but for that one moment it seemed like he wanted to tell me that.

I remember him being so strong, great with his hands, friendly, a great people person, so smart.

I’m on the airplane trying not to cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 03:01 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Sorry to hear this, OP. Take deep, slow breaths while you are on the plane.

It's very hard to lose a grandparent. Sounds like you two thought a lot of each other. You'll have his lovely comment about you to remember from now on....

I think what you said was fine...you being there means more than words.

Take care of yourself over the coming weeks...

Old 05-19-2018, 03:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Nothing wrong with crying though you may cause a commotion on a crowded aircraft. I used to bawl my eyes out in the car - at a time when I needed to cry it out.

I'm sorry that you had to say goodbye to your Grandpa but I'm so glad you were able to get there. He must have remembered you because he said you're a good guy. Now you be sure you live up to that in every way - and I'm sure that just means be yourself.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I lived through a similar scene when my dad died. My mom and dad came into the airport to see me off. I knew I would never see my dad again. This was after Christmas, and he died on January 26. The truth is that I remember one thing he said to me ("You are a kind and good girl") I know the three of us talked and encouraged each other, but I really don't remember what I said. I know I cried walking down the concourse, cried on the plane, etc. This was about 35 years ago. We all seem to remember what is important to us. Although I can't remember the conversation, I remember the smiling, the love, the regret at leaving each other.

It doesn't matter if you had exactly the right words to say. Words aren't the most important part. You will remember the feelings. He loves you, you love him. At the times in our lives when we say goodbye, it feels to me that we are rather apart from the world - enveloped in an atmosphere of intense of love and loss that others will not see. That's OK. And if they do see some of it (your tears) that's OK, too. I have seen quite a few people crying at airports. Parting is hard.

Take care of yourself. Be patient with your feelings. Blessings on you and your grandparents.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:26 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
That's tough. I had the last conversation with my grandma before she was placed into a coma and died a week later, and right before my grandfather died I was the last one to speak to him. Literally 10 minutes after he talked to me he was dead.

My condolences go to you and your family.

P.S. I'd be crying. If anybody had an issue with me crying because I just said my goodbyes to a loved one can suck a fat one.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:46 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
(((hugs))), OP.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:07 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
My grandpa is dying. I made a trip from Los Angeles to hang out with him and my grandma for a few days. His memory is shot and doesn’t really understand or know what’s happening to him anymore. He recognized me and knew who I was. I met the at home hospice nurses.

My mom, grandpa and grandma just dropped me back off at the airport to fly back to realty. I hugged my grandpa but wasn’t sure what to say. I said, “take good care of grandma for me.” I couldn’t say “see you at Christmas” or “see you later” because I most likely won’t.

He said, “you are a good guy.” almost as if he knew it would be the last thing he said to me. His memory is shot and probably has no idea that he is dying, but for that one moment it seemed like he wanted to tell me that.

I remember him being so strong, great with his hands, friendly, a great people person, so smart.

I’m on the airplane trying not to cry.
Even when your memory is shot, you remember some things. He may not have remembered how to tie his shoelaces or fry an egg, but he remembered you.

I think love is the thing to go.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:21 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
My last visit with my dad before he passed, he told me I had grown up to be a wonderful lady and he was proud of me. He knew his time was coming as he got tired of battling cancer for the fifth time. Also a myriad of health issues and his quality of life hadn't been good for years.

I treasure that last visit. It still hurt when he did pass but in a way it was a relief knowing he was no longer suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning