Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 11:43 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

When I was going through a divorce many years ago, I looked for books or literature on the subject and found very little. Now I believe there are more books on the subject but nothing beats an interpersonal relationship with those going through it, especially for the first time.

A local divorce support group helped me over the rough spots...such as what's next, how to cope with overwhelming change, how to tell children, when to get a lawyer, etc.

Most of the time we supported each other telling our stories, thereby gaining acceptance and understanding.

Just thought I'd open that avenue for anyone, male or female, currently in the process of divorce. It can be a sad and lonely time but it helps to share with others.

Tell your stories here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 01:21 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Acting in my capacity as moderator of this forum:

Interesting thread idea. Many times the grief of loss in a divorce has direct comparison to the death of a person. The "death" in this case is of the marriage or couplehood. I am concerned that the anger of divorces and perceived unfairness of the partner not contaminate this forum. The same standards required of other posts in the forum must apply, no denigration, approaching with a sense of compassion, empathy for the loss and the process of recovery. This forum is a respite for people who hurt, where they are met with support and not judgment and are expected not to judge.

I'm not sure that the newly divorced can keep the emotional balance required to write about their open wounds without blaming, but lets give it a try. It is best if people can police themselves. If this doesn't work or a more rancorous or complete thread on divorce is desired, my guess is that it would work within limits in the relationships forum.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:39 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Oh, my goodness, gbh. Getting too tame in here? No, I am not laughing at the subject, I was divorced twice before I married my late hubby. Mmmnh, mmmnh, still would not be able to be totally civil, even though they were in '74 and '95. Too much manure. Good luck!!

Old 09-22-2018, 01:54 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Well, I just put this out there as I had no one to turn to when going through divorce after 23 yrs marriage until the support grp.

No, this is not a place for spouse bashing...

more to get and give info in case anyone finds themselves overwhelmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning