Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 06:41 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times

Advertisements

My father and my grandfather died two days apart in 2000. My mother died on my father's birthday in 1984, and he died three days after hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 08:13 PM

922 posts, read 791,364 times
MQ, I am so sorry to hear about all of these recent losses. Each one is difficult, but to have so many in a short time is painful and scary I am sure.

In the beginning of December, we drove across the state (Kansas) to see my daughter and her family. While we were there, three people she knew were hit and killed by semi's on the Kansas backroads near her town. This was just after another friend had died, and two more of her friends lost family members within a couple of months.

My daughter was in a very serious accident when she was hit by a semi 3 years ago. It was a miracle that she survived. Eleven years ago by best friend's husband was killed by a semi. These were also on Kansas backroads. I was pretty tense driving back home across Kansas...

It's true that when we get to our age (I am 63) we start to lose people more frequently. It's just the circle of life I suppose, but that doesn't make it any easier does it?

Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 PM

815 posts, read 980,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
We sadly because of age and health moved to CT because we will need support of daughter.
We gave up North FL after 25 years to a regressive tax and more taxes.No longer a pleasant state to live in.
We also came to be near family and in a short while lost seven members,
The worst part my wife has come down with dementia,zero short term memory.
So sorry to hear this.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:17 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
MQ, I am so sorry to hear about all of these recent losses. Each one is difficult, but to have so many in a short time is painful and scary I am sure.

In the beginning of December, we drove across the state (Kansas) to see my daughter and her family. While we were there, three people she knew were hit and killed by semi's on the Kansas backroads near her town. This was just after another friend had died, and two more of her friends lost family members within a couple of months.

My daughter was in a very serious accident when she was hit by a semi 3 years ago. It was a miracle that she survived. Eleven years ago by best friend's husband was killed by a semi. These were also on Kansas backroads. I was pretty tense driving back home across Kansas...

It's true that when we get to our age (I am 63) we start to lose people more frequently. It's just the circle of life I suppose, but that doesn't make it any easier does it?
No, it doesn't. The younger women particularly bothered me. Both were seemingly healthy, very vibrant people, and then BAM, they're gone.

I haven't finished being sad over the loss of one person when I hear about the next one.

I've experienced death in quantity before. I'm a WTC survivor. I lost 84 coworkers in one very bad day, but that was different than whatever this is that's been going on recently.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
My father and my grandfather died two days apart in 2000. My mother died on my father's birthday in 1984, and he died three days after hers.
That must have been hard.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
God bless 'em, Mq! Must be good genes!
Yes, there's some of that on my mother's side. My mother was 73 when her mother/my grandmother died at 94. My oldest sister is 69 and her/our mother's still alive. That's unusual.

I'm not counting on it, because I smoked for many years, but I'll take whatever help those genes will give me, thank you.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:58 AM

307 posts, read 224,137 times
Yep, it happens. It was non-existent to a slow slow roll in my late 30s to a slow roll in my 50s to
who's next (was almost me !) in my 60s. We're always wondering who's next. That's why
we have our legal documents and our final wishes (advanced directives) all spelled out.

I am sorry about what you're going through. Unfortunately, that's life.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:49 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Whats worse is when I hear somebody died and then think, gee I thought they were already dead....

Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWNC View Post
Yep, it happens. It was non-existent to a slow slow roll in my late 30s to a slow roll in my 50s to
who's next (was almost me !) in my 60s. We're always wondering who's next. That's why
we have our legal documents and our final wishes (advanced directives) all spelled out.

I am sorry about what you're going through. Unfortunately, that's life.
Yeah, I know it's life, but this has been a particularly busy spell. I don't normally have a death of someone I knew either very well or fairly well every single week.

I have to do that paperwork. I don't have a lot in the way of assets, and I have only one child, so I kind of put it off figuring it's easy--I croak, she gets whatever. My pension ends with my death.

I have life insurance so she could kill off my mortgage and have a little something left over, but that's about it, so I haven't bothered with a will, but someone said it will be easier on her if I do. The advance directive is something I should definitely have.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:05 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I know it's life, but this has been a particularly busy spell. I don't normally have a death of someone I knew either very well or fairly well every single week.

I have to do that paperwork. I don't have a lot in the way of assets, and I have only one child, so I kind of put it off figuring it's easy--I croak, she gets whatever. My pension ends with my death.

I have life insurance so she could kill off my mortgage and have a little something left over, but that's about it, so I haven't bothered with a will, but someone said it will be easier on her if I do. The advance directive is something I should definitely have.
Please do get a will, Mq. I was an only child with just my dad still alive and he just kept poo-pooing me when I would ask him to go get a will made out. "Everything is going to go to you anyway." was always his retort. Well, Dad died with no will. I can't quite remember what sequence things went on but I ended up having to get a lawyer, pay him 5K to do what needed to be done cuz Dad had no will. One thing I DO remember is the lawyer had to put a 3 day notice in papers stating that Dad had died and asking if anyone contested me getting his estate. IDK if NY has to do that but in Mass. it was required. ANYONE could have contested. No one did, fortunately. Just spend the bucks, Mq, do your daughter a favor. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning