Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 03:17 PM

421 posts, read 390,900 times

Advertisements

I think COVID and our administration slowing down mail service has put a hamper on me getting a copy of my marriage certificate from the state.

We were married 39 years and I don't think we ever had gotten an official certified marriage certificate in all this time. We did have our "certified" license from the church but that is basically not worth anything when you are dealing with insurance, social security, etc.

I've applied for one (actually 3 copies) through my home state where we were married. Been two weeks and no replies from them, tried calling and leaving messages to no avail. Would like to get social security survivor benefits straightened out as soon as possible. I'm probably asking too much! I always want everything done YESTERDAY :-).

The death certificate, in comparison, was pretty easy just want to the local vital records office for AZ and within an hour had 5 copies. Unfortunately, I can't do that as I live 1,300 miles from Iowa where we were married.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 07:28 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
I think COVID and our administration slowing down mail service has put a hamper on me getting a copy of my marriage certificate from the state.

We were married 39 years and I don't think we ever had gotten an official certified marriage certificate in all this time. We did have our "certified" license from the church but that is basically not worth anything when you are dealing with insurance, social security, etc.

I've applied for one (actually 3 copies) through my home state where we were married. Been two weeks and no replies from them, tried calling and leaving messages to no avail. Would like to get social security survivor benefits straightened out as soon as possible. I'm probably asking too much! I always want everything done YESTERDAY :-).

The death certificate, in comparison, was pretty easy just want to the local vital records office for AZ and within an hour had 5 copies. Unfortunately, I can't do that as I live 1,300 miles from Iowa where we were married.
I went through the same thing last year and mine took about 3 weeks — before Covid. That’s the monkey wrench today.

Did you ask the Social Security office about the one you have? They might take that.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:18 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,223 times
Quote:

Sorry for your loss..
Did you try VitalCheck? On-line. The link below: it says 2-5 business days vs 4-6 weeks possibly directly.
You need to pay a bit more

https://idph.iowa.gov/health-statistics/request-record

I am not 100% sure, but you could apply for SS survivor benefit on-line? Then you just need to tell them your exact date of marriage and location of the marriage- you may not even need marriage certificate- SSA can look it up

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-21-2020 at 06:39 PM..

Old 09-21-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Sorry for your loss..
Did you try VitalCheck? On-line. The link below: it says 2-5 business days vs 4-6 weeks possibly directly.
You need to pay a bit more

https://idph.iowa.gov/health-statistics/request-record

I am not 100% sure, but you could apply for SS survivor benefit on-line? Then you just need to tell them your exact date of marriage and location of the marriage- you may not even need marriage certificate- SSA can look it up
When I went last year, I was told that when I claimed widow’s benefits they had to be filed at the office. Also our full retirement age is different than what everybody else’s is. And Social Security wants everything handed to them, they don’t look anything up.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:56 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
When I went last year, I was told that when I claimed widow’s benefits they had to be filed at the office. Also our full retirement age is different than what everybody else’s is. And Social Security wants everything handed to them, they don’t look anything up.
Thanks, I thought they try to do as much on-line as possible this year due to COVID

Old 09-22-2020, 12:11 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:

Did you order from Iowa Vital records? They are saying 4-6 weeks for regular mail.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Thanks, I thought they try to do as much on-line as possible this year due to COVID
It’s my understanding, certain things are more difficult than others to put online. There’s a lot of there’s a lot more paperwork involved with Widows benefits than there is regular benefits. My sister remembers that when my mom was collecting them it was under her Social Security number. But I’m pretty sure she’s wrong, because she was collecting my fathers benefits, so it would be under his Social Security number. I mean that’s a dumb thing to fight about but you know we’re sisters so… It’s always something.

I’ve already given them his death certificate, they’ve put it into the system. I got my grand $255 payout. I’m sorry, by the way, I think that’s funny — it’s just a funny amount. $263.47 is funnier but I’ll take 255.

And I got a copy with an embossed stamp for the wedding certificate. Because I was like you, mine has this look of something pulled out of a cracker jack box and not an official document.

So all the stuff I need is tucked away, cause I’m not ready to apply yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning