Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 03:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

REading about all these old dogs - I have two older dogs. They are both 11 years old. One of them is a lab and she is just full of benign tumors and she's got arthritis too and she just looks awful. But she doesn't seem to be in any pain and she's the sweetest old girl.

A few months ago, she's the dog who tripped me on the patio, by lying down right behind me so when I turned to walk in that direction, I tripped right over her and landed on my right elbow (dominant arm). I shattered it. Oh my gosh, the pain. It was also a compound fracture so that was grody. Anyway, my old girl dog was SO UPSET. I felt almost as bad for her as I felt for myself! And to be honest, I was glad my husband wasn't around then because he would have probably wanted to kill her for hurting me so severely. But of course, I wasn't going to kill her. I'm glad I was in the hospital a few days though because it gave me a chance to cool down. I was pretty upset and part of that was at her!

But I do hate to hear about your dog, mlj. They become our babies. I know I am going to miss these two idiots terribly when they're gone. I can imagine how sad you must be feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 09:05 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
REading about all these old dogs - I have two older dogs. They are both 11 years old. One of them is a lab and she is just full of benign tumors and she's got arthritis too and she just looks awful. But she doesn't seem to be in any pain and she's the sweetest old girl.

A few months ago, she's the dog who tripped me on the patio, by lying down right behind me so when I turned to walk in that direction, I tripped right over her and landed on my right elbow (dominant arm). I shattered it. Oh my gosh, the pain. It was also a compound fracture so that was grody. Anyway, my old girl dog was SO UPSET. I felt almost as bad for her as I felt for myself! And to be honest, I was glad my husband wasn't around then because he would have probably wanted to kill her for hurting me so severely. But of course, I wasn't going to kill her. I'm glad I was in the hospital a few days though because it gave me a chance to cool down. I was pretty upset and part of that was at her!

But I do hate to hear about your dog, mlj. They become our babies. I know I am going to miss these two idiots terribly when they're gone. I can imagine how sad you must be feeling.
Thanks KA, truly. My Koa wasn't old but she was really sick, although she did not let it show at all. It is a devastating loss.

I have been reading your thread and think of you often.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:15 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
My fiancé died in December, my step dad in January, and now we had to say goodbye to one of our doggies this week.

The sadness just keep coming. Feels like life will never be OK again.
It will be ok, but you will still grieve for those you've lost that's normal and confirms that you are an empathetic loving person. My parents and my only sibling have been dead for many years and I miss them terribly but for some reason that I can't explain when I think of one of the death of any one of my dogs who have died I just start crying and can't stop.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:18 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
So sorry. My best friend is 13 now and I try to appreciate everyday that she is with me. I cry just thinking about losing her.
I know how that feels, my dogs are 11 and 12. The oldest is really starting to slow down and I don't think he will be with me much longer, and that is so hard to deal with.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:20 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
My neighbors lost both of their dogs early this year. Weeks apart. I was wondering why I didn't hear them. Abby and Trixi.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:17 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I know how that feels, my dogs are 11 and 12. The oldest is really starting to slow down and I don't think he will be with me much longer, and that is so hard to deal with.
My two Westies are 11 and 12 too! Since they are a small breed, I'm hoping they last to 17, but I have seen estimates for that breed to be 12-15. Noooo, please, I'm not ready!!! It's never long enough.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:57 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
My two Westies are 11 and 12 too! Since they are a small breed, I'm hoping they last to 17, but I have seen estimates for that breed to be 12-15. Noooo, please, I'm not ready!!! It's never long enough.
Agree.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:08 PM

My dad always used to say "All pet stories have sad endings," and he was right I believe. He was a dog lover for sure, very tender hearted.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:31 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Sorry for your losses. I had similar...bam, bam, bam.. including my pet. It was tough, but things do get better depending on how and how much you dwell on the losses.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:39 AM

This.

Humans are amazingly adaptable and most genuinely want to be happy and at peace in my experience. Not everyone, but most people.

Things do get better for those who want things to get better usually. It's hard to get through though. But we can do it and most DO do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning