Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 04:21 AM

288 posts, read 200,850 times

Advertisements

My Grandad died yesterday. He was 93 looked young, was mobile and young at heart for his age. Nearly 5 weeks ago he had a stroke at home and was found by his son. He showed signs of recovery but 2 weeks ago he caught covid in the hospital then pneumonia which he died from breathing difficulties. The doctors took him off the oxygen then he passed away. I feel sad he went through all that difficulty at the end.

He was my only grandparent left and was one of the most nicest, funniest and gentle souls you would ever meet. I know I will never meet anyone like him again and feel devastated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 12:16 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
My Grandad died yesterday. He was 93 looked young, was mobile and young at heart for his age. Nearly 5 weeks ago he had a stroke at home and was found by his son. He showed signs of recovery but 2 weeks ago he caught covid in the hospital then pneumonia which he died from breathing difficulties. The doctors took him off the oxygen then he passed away. I feel sad he went through all that difficulty at the end.

He was my only grandparent left and was one of the most nicest, funniest and gentle souls you would ever meet. I know I will never meet anyone like him again and feel devastated.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your grandpa sounds like he was an amazing man & you are blessed to be carrying his legacy into the future. You were lucky to have him & I know he was lucky to have you too.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:26 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I am so sorry for your loss.

Your grandad lived a long, good life and I know that you brought him great joy as he did to you. It is a blessing that he did not linger long - suffering and going downhill, but instead passed peacefully. Your family had the opportunity to say goodbye to him and you will always treasure all of the many good memories that you have of him growing up.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:03 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
It really is a blessing that he didn't linger. My paternal grandmother, Nana, the only one that I ever knew, died when I was just eight years old. She'd do things like take me to and old fashioned ice cream parlor, buy me a massive sundae, then return me to my parents to deal with the sugar withdrawal. Grandparents can get away with that. I really miss her.

I'm sorry about your grandad.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:20 AM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
I’m sorry about your granddad. Much as you’ll miss this kind and good man, it’s such a wonderful family link to have had this relationship with a grandparent. Your memories become a generational bond.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:03 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
His legacy lives on in you.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:45 PM

288 posts, read 200,850 times
Thank you all for your kind words, they have helped me.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:29 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I think that I know at least a bit about how you feel about his final weeks. The same sort of thing happened to my dad. A month after visiting mom and dad, he had some sort of cardiac event. He had a failing heart valve and lung. Just a month later he had lost a lot of weight and was gasping for breath on portable oxygen. I wish that I could have been able to breathe for him. It was painful to watch. A few weeks later he spent his last days in Cardiac Intensive Care. The family doctor somehow managed to allow my six year old son to visit. After asking about all of the equipment, he fell asleep on the bed next to him. Dad left early the next morning.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:54 PM

15,596 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'm so sorry - but keep in mind how lucky you were to have him for so long, and how lucky he was to be functioning well at an advanced age.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:41 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,314,948 times
Your description of your grandad means he loved you as much as you loved him. What a blessing the two of you were for each other. I understand the devastation and I’m sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning