Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone out there might have any "inside information" on this question:

I have been searching the 'net for a Kel-Tech SU 16 CA model for a while, and every place I hit lists them as out of stock. Yeah, there are some used one out there available, but I VERY leery about buying a used firearm on line (in fact, I am even a little leery of it at gunshows because there is usually no opportunity to take it for a test drive first!).

Sooo, I was wondering if anybody can tell me if there really is a shortage out there (due to extremely high demand, or just because the company is limiting production, etc) or what? Or, perhaps if I am just looking at the wrong on-line gun dealers! LOL.

Anyway, as I mentioned, just wondering if anybody "knows" anything about all this.

Also, on a related tangent, I checked out a place called "Impact Guns" (company out of Utah), and it appears they may have some in stock just by perusing their site.

BUT...in checking out the company (when buying anything on line, I always check out reviews, BBB, etc), I have read quite a few negative things about them. Of course, I realize there are going to be complaints even against the most reputable dealers in any product, but this one seems to have more than usual.

And a consistent theme is that some customers have complained that while they (Impact Guns) will say the firearm is in stock, they (customer) end up waiting many weeks, even months, and when finally calling to find out what the hell is going on, are told along the lines of, well, a mistake was made when your order was placed, but we are doing everything possible, and your gun will be shipped as soon as possible, yada, yada, yada.

Ok. Enough rambling on my part. Those are my two questions! Thanks ahead of time for any assistance, insight, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 02:16 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
This would be a better question if you posted it on Calguns.net under the rifle section. Hundreds of retailers, vendors and professionals from the gun industry participate on that site. Pretty much the catch all place to discuss guns in California.

I have not heard of any shortages with the Keltec Su16 Ca. I just did a quick check on google shopping and found several dealers showing in stock.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
This would be a better question if you posted it on Calguns.net under the rifle section. Hundreds of retailers, vendors and professionals from the gun industry participate on that site. Pretty much the catch all place to discuss guns in California.

I have not heard of any shortages with the Keltec Su16 Ca. I just did a quick check on google shopping and found several dealers showing in stock.
Thanks for the info, BD...but just to be clear, I am not from Califorinia, so that one is not an issue. I just happen to like that particular model, which combines the models of A and C..and came up with CA...which, in turn, (intentionally or not!), is not only legal in California...but matches their postal code! LOL

So it really has nothing to do with California, per se. I live in Texas!

Again, though, thanks for the info. Can you provide me some some links to dealers which actually have them in stock? Feel free to DM me. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM

12 posts, read 27,210 times
Kel-tec just moved into a new Manufacturing Facility, and they are having Power issues for their CNC machines, which Limits production. WHat they are doing is limited runs of each model IIRC

Old 03-09-2011, 05:30 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
I would like to see one with wood furniture on it.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
You say "I am even a little leery of it at gunshows because there is usually no opportunity to take it for a test drive first". Tell me, where can you buy a gun of any kind and take it for a test run? I've purchased many firearms online, and have never once had a problem. Buy everything new, then you don't have to worry, but you will pay a much higher price.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You say "I am even a little leery of it at gunshows because there is usually no opportunity to take it for a test drive first". Tell me, where can you buy a gun of any kind and take it for a test run? I've purchased many firearms online, and have never once had a problem. Buy everything new, then you don't have to worry, but you will pay a much higher price.
Easy. If I know the person I am buying from (or somebody local who has been recommended to me by a mutual friend), I never have had anyone object to doing a bit of shooting with it first.

But seriously, as it is though, I was being little "tongue-in-cheek" about the gun-show thing, as in fact I have bought at shows before and never had a problem.

I was serious about being very leery about buying a used firearm on line from an individual that I know nothing about. At least at a gunshow I can see and handle the product I am buying even if there is not a chance to fire it (which of course, you are correct about). This not true of some individual on-line seller where one can't really be assured of much.

Now then, so far as on-line goes, a reputable dealer with a good BBB rating and/or reviews from satisfied buyers is different...

That is good that you have never had a problem in that regard, and perhaps most people don't and neither would I. Still though, if it came to a choice between the two, I would rather pay a little more for a new one since there would be a guarantee that any problems would be taken care of.

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-10-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpdpipes View Post
Kel-tec just moved into a new Manufacturing Facility, and they are having Power issues for their CNC machines, which Limits production. WHat they are doing is limited runs of each model IIRC

Thanks very much for that information! That explains quite a bit!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just wondering if anyone out there might have any "inside information" on this question:

I have been searching the 'net for a Kel-Tech SU 16 CA model for a while, and every place I hit lists them as out of stock. Yeah, there are some used one out there available, but I VERY leery about buying a used firearm on line (in fact, I am even a little leery of it at gunshows because there is usually no opportunity to take it for a test drive first!).

Sooo, I was wondering if anybody can tell me if there really is a shortage out there (due to extremely high demand, or just because the company is limiting production, etc) or what? Or, perhaps if I am just looking at the wrong on-line gun dealers! LOL.

Anyway, as I mentioned, just wondering if anybody "knows" anything about all this.

Also, on a related tangent, I checked out a place called "Impact Guns" (company out of Utah), and it appears they may have some in stock just by perusing their site.

BUT...in checking out the company (when buying anything on line, I always check out reviews, BBB, etc), I have read quite a few negative things about them. Of course, I realize there are going to be complaints even against the most reputable dealers in any product, but this one seems to have more than usual.

And a consistent theme is that some customers have complained that while they (Impact Guns) will say the firearm is in stock, they (customer) end up waiting many weeks, even months, and when finally calling to find out what the hell is going on, are told along the lines of, well, a mistake was made when your order was placed, but we are doing everything possible, and your gun will be shipped as soon as possible, yada, yada, yada.

Ok. Enough rambling on my part. Those are my two questions! Thanks ahead of time for any assistance, insight, etc.
Impact Guns has a few locations now I believe. Contact them by phone. If they have one in stock that you wish to purchase get the serial # at the time of purchase, prior to giving out your credit card number. Tell them you want e-mail confirmation to include the serial # and that you will be furnishing that info to your FFL accepting transfer. If they cannot give you a serial# then the firearm is NOT in stock. This trick should work with any vendor.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who provided information on this thread topic. As it is though, I solved the problem by just spending a few extra dollars and getting an AR-15! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting