Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times

Advertisements

My wifes pretty small at 5'0" but handles most things fine from a bench. People are individuals though, she loves my BLR 7mm08 but says my 30/30 Marlin kicks too much, I think its a fitment thing since the loads I shoot from that Browning are heavier than my 30/30 loads by a long shot.
A 357 can be a great learning gun because you can load it with 38's for a lower recoil alternative.
22's are great too but I find many people when started on them exclusively are hesitant to move up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
I think a 22 revolver is a good choice as a first gun. It is cheap to shoot and has almost no recoil. A 223 rifle would be good for a starter rifle also, because they don't have a whole lot of recoil. Both Winchester '94 and Marlin '95's in 30-30 caliber recoil because of the stock design, but they are the two most popular firearms in 30-30 caliber. I visit our local range every Wednesday and our shooting club has both men and women in it and meet the 2nd Sunday and 4th Saturday of every month. Some of my firearms are shown under my 'hobbies' photo album in my profile, but most are not. I've been collecting for many years.

Recently I met a woman at one of our local gunshops who wanted to learn to shoot. She followed me to our range and I let her shoot several different handguns to see which type she liked the best. She ended up buy a small Smith & Wesson 5 shoot revolver in 38 special caliber. She emailed me yesterday that her concealed carry permit arrived. If you want to view different firearms log on the gunbroker.com you will see a variety and see what they are selling (asking) for. If you have questions and don't want to ask them here, DM me, I don't mind.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 03-26-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
OP, the following link is to a website designed and written by Kathy Jackson for women involved with CCW or seeking information about firearms, holsters, carry methods, etc... . Please bookmark it and share it with your wife.

Cornered Cat

Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
Default Any Lady Gun Owners/Shooters Out There? Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
OP, the following link is to a website designed and written by Kathy Jackson for women involved with CCW or seeking information about firearms, holsters, carry methods, etc... . Please bookmark it and share it with your wife.

Cornered Cat
loveboating,

When you seek info about firearms for your wife, Kathy Johnson who maintains the website Cornered Cat is undoubtedly very knowledgeable as mention by the above post, but so is our own resident C-D poster lifelongMOgal. Her vast knowledge and experience with firearms is amazing, and the best part is she is right here to share that knowledge. Any advice she gives you will be well thought out and backed by experience in the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting