Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:53 PM

124 posts, read 174,727 times

Advertisements

When I first purchased it but after the concealed handgun class, much less empowered. There are a lot of consequences associated with owning a gun. Most people follow the rules and I do. I take owning a gun very seriously. Already had it confiscated after a domestic fight because it was not locked properly. What a hassle trying to get it back.

Last edited by lotsoflov1232; 09-17-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 12:54 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
With that said....while I don't think the word empowerment is the right word, I don't think it is necessary to rake you through the coals over. I think for someone who has no firearm related experience, you are trying to express your feelings/thoughts the best you can.
Can't rep you again yet, but thank you.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Most police depts. shoot if a person gets to 21ft away or closer, the logic being that a person with a knife can cover 21ft with only a few strides and make actually shooting/restraining extremely difficult/
Ok, thanks for the info. Good to know.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Yeah, just get a plug from some appliance you don't use anymore and splice it and connect to fence, then plug it into the wall... that would make for a rather amusing light show.
Interesting idea, but I think I shall have to pass.

I do have one question I'd like input on, however. Given the fact my choice of self-defense options are somewhat limited at this point in time, would any of you actually try to take a picture yourself of the perp or perps I am dealing with? That is to say, would any of you sit in the dark just waiting for the perps to come along and then flash the camera? I keep seeing $ signs in front of me. I was waiting on a bid that I was to have received last night for an outdoor camera system and I do believe the company flaked on me. These outdoor systems aren't cheap. They run anywhere from $2K up to $3500K. Given the fact I want to get out of here anyway, I am iffy on this.

Now, if I were an experienced gun owner, I would do this no problem. Logic being, if the person kicked in my door or crashed through the glass it would be obvious harm was intended and I would be in my own house so the law is pretty clear there (at least where I live it's pretty clear I do believe). However, I'm not an experienced gun owner. Nor am I rich. Oh, and since everybody (most) "packs heat" (is that outdated?) down here, that is another concern I must take into account.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:43 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Interesting idea, but I think I shall have to pass.

I do have one question I'd like input on, however. Given the fact my choice of self-defense options are somewhat limited at this point in time, would any of you actually try to take a picture yourself of the perp or perps I am dealing with? That is to say, would any of you sit in the dark just waiting for the perps to come along and then flash the camera? I keep seeing $ signs in front of me. I was waiting on a bid that I was to have received last night for an outdoor camera system and I do believe the company flaked on me. These outdoor systems aren't cheap. They run anywhere from $2K up to $3500K. Given the fact I want to get out of here anyway, I am iffy on this.

Now, if I were an experienced gun owner, I would do this no problem. Logic being, if the person kicked in my door or crashed through the glass it would be obvious harm was intended and I would be in my own house so the law is pretty clear there (at least where I live it's pretty clear I do believe). However, I'm not an experienced gun owner. Nor am I rich. Oh, and since everybody (most) "packs heat" (is that outdated?) down here, that is another concern I must take into account.
"Packing heat" is kind of Hollywood, as far as when you could apply a handgun in defense you should not "believe". You should KNOW, whether you have a duty to retreat (or not), and when it's legal to shoot in defense. I always recommend finding a lawyer versed in self defense shooting cases (do not rely on just a criminal defense attorney, they're entirely different defense strategies), and having a consultation before giving them a retainer just in case, and to get the real skinny from someone who knows how the law is applied in your area. You can find SD Lawyers via the SAF or NRA, give them a call.

On photography get a (some) trail camera(s) there's a selection at Cabela's (which IIRC you've previously mentioned you have near you).

Trail Cameras, Scouting Cameras & Motion Sensor Camera : Cabela's

This saves you being outside with a camera and at risk and cost less than a CCTV system. Always send the robot into dangerous situations first...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Electrobraid Horse Fence Videos

One hit on this and they we be done.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:08 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I'm wondering how long it takes to feel this way. I must admit I am much more comfortable with the concept of a gun in my house than I thought I would be. Granted, my pepper spray and portable alarm will have to do for awhile, but at least it is something.

At any rate, I've been up all night trying to get the guys who scale my wall on camera. Too late. They were here earlier. I am wondering if I still have a pool cleaner in my pool and I guess I'll find out in a couple of hours. I so want to get those SOBs in action that maybe tomorrow night I just start my surveillance way earlier.

I do have the gun by me for some reason, even though it is not loaded and no magazine is nearby. Sort of makes me feel a wee bit more secure even though I would not use it. I am armed, as I said above, with the spray and alarm and phone and alarm fob (and camera of course). I'm really starting to get angry and don't even care if they see the flash. As soon as they do, I hit the panic button on the alarm system and dial 911.

At any rate, I know your mileage will vary, but when did just having it around, even if not loaded, start to make you feel a little more secure (if this applies to you at all). BTW, I know I tend to share a lot of info, but this situation is what led to my getting a gun so it's sort of wrapped up in the whole deal. Focus is guns, guns, guns and how you felt and what your journey was like. Anyone care to share?

Col Jeff Cooper:

"Having a gun does not make you armed any more than owning a piano makes you a pianist."

Get training.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
"Packing heat" is kind of Hollywood, as far as when you could apply a handgun in defense you should not "believe". You should KNOW, whether you have a duty to retreat (or not), and when it's legal to shoot in defense. I always recommend finding a lawyer versed in self defense shooting cases (do not rely on just a criminal defense attorney, they're entirely different defense strategies), and having a consultation before giving them a retainer just in case, and to get the real skinny from someone who knows how the law is applied in your area. You can find SD Lawyers via the SAF or NRA, give them a call.

On photography get a (some) trail camera(s) there's a selection at Cabela's (which IIRC you've previously mentioned you have near you).

Trail Cameras, Scouting Cameras & Motion Sensor Camera : Cabela's

This saves you being outside with a camera and at risk and cost less than a CCTV system. Always send the robot into dangerous situations first...
Well, I just had someone here the other day telling me he was not packing. And I need a lotta lawyers for a lotta stuff right now. Great idea of yours, but it will have to go on the back burner.

Also, I am on the other side of town from Cabela's. It's a drive and one I won't make today. I do agree with you though on the robot comment.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Col Jeff Cooper:

"Having a gun does not make you armed any more than owning a piano makes you a pianist."

Get training.
Funny you should say this. I've had the same piano for over 25 years and do not play it. Yet another to do thing on my list.

And if there is one thing I have gotten out of participating in this forum it is to practice and get training.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Electrobraid Horse Fence Videos

One hit on this and they we be done.
Quite the original idea. Checked the prices out and they are not expensive. I wonder who I could get to install that for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting