Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose and why?
M&P Shield .40 11 45.83%
Springfield XDs .45 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,027,961 times

Advertisements

I have decided to step up my CCW caliber, having carried .380 for a very long time, the availability of more potent rounds in a package as small (even thinner) than my current choice, I am treating myself to a new carry piece. Please don't go off on caliber tangents or suggest a Glock. I've done quite a bit of research on these 2 pieces, so it will be one of these 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 06:16 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,642,677 times
Both good weapons, whichever seems more comfortable to wear. I bet a gun shop would let you try them out in holsters in the store.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Both good weapons, whichever seems more comfortable to wear. I bet a gun shop would let you try them out in holsters in the store.
Yeah, if any shop in my area had either one in stock, they are currently very scarce. Size wise they are close enough to call the same, width difference is only .1 inch i think? Holster will be a N82 Tactical.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 PM

46,319 posts, read 27,181,581 times
WOW, some pretty pathetic answers here.

I will never do another .40cal, so in this choice I would do the .45, the .40 has some pressure issues I just do not agree with.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,984,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I have decided to step up my CCW caliber, having carried .380 for a very long time, the availability of more potent rounds in a package as small (even thinner) than my current choice, I am treating myself to a new carry piece. Please don't go off on caliber tangents or suggest a Glock. I've done quite a bit of research on these 2 pieces, so it will be one of these 2.
Which do you shoot better? With which are you the most consistently accurate and which fits your had the best (proper firing grip)? If you don't know I'd suggest the OP get to a range which offers rental guns or get with friends who own same to shoot theirs.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Which do you shoot better? With which are you the most consistently accurate and which fits your had the best (proper firing grip)? If you don't know I'd suggest the OP get to a range which offers rental guns or get with friends who own same to shoot theirs.
I really hate it when I have to quote myself "if any shop in my area had either one in stock, they are currently very scarce".

That being repeated, if I want one any time soon I'll have to buy it online, with the waiting list my local shops have for both of them, I'm looking at months before anyone even puts one out for rental.

And the question isn't how you think I should decide between the two, the question is what would be your choice, I've owned handguns since the early 90's, I don't need to be told how to decide what to buy. I'm just looking for some simple opinions on the 2 listed firearms, I don't understand why this is so difficult for people.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:16 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,207,383 times
Quote:
I don't understand why this is so difficult for people.
You asked on a public forum for opinions and didn't really state a purpose for WHY you are limiting yourself to a choice of two overhyped subcompact pistols when there are other (and possibly better) options available. People are going to chip in regardless.

Online prices may or may not be better than gun store prices. You have to figure in shipping and dealer transfer, and the demand is extremely high. Have you considered taking a road trip to another area which might have a gunstore with these in stock?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 PM

46,319 posts, read 27,181,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
You asked on a public forum for opinions and didn't really state a purpose for WHY you are limiting yourself to a choice of two overhyped subcompact pistols when there are other (and possibly better) options available. People are going to chip in regardless.

Online prices may or may not be better than gun store prices. You have to figure in shipping and dealer transfer, and the demand is extremely high. Have you considered taking a road trip to another area which might have a gunstore with these in stock?
The purpose was, he wanted this or that gun. Nothing more nothing less....

Why do people have to dig deep into what someone wants?

"Over-hyped" to you maybe, to others maybe not.....

I still stick with my original post....the .40 has pressure issues, so the .45 would be it.

Jordon, just so you know, I'll never own a .45 or another .40.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,207,383 times
That's fine. 9mm in Winchester Ranger T variety does wonders (124gr +P+, 127gr +P, 147gr) and I've seen pictures of what it did to someone's arm- would hate to see what it does to a torso.

Anyways, my original answer was "M&P Shield", and that's how I voted before my posts were "cleaned". Reason being that the XD line (in my opinion) has funky ergonomics and an unnecessary grip safety (whereas the M&P can have a manual safety).

Old 07-28-2012, 06:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,984,933 times
Quote:
I really hate it when I have to quote myself "if any shop in my area had either one in stock, they are currently very scarce".

That being repeated, if I want one any time soon I'll have to buy it online, with the waiting list my local shops have for both of them, I'm looking at months before anyone even puts one out for rental.

And the question isn't how you think I should decide between the two, the question is what would be your choice, I've owned handguns since the early 90's, I don't need to be told how to decide what to buy. I'm just looking for some simple opinions on the 2 listed firearms, I don't understand why this is so difficult for people.
If you've owned handguns since the early '90s then you should understand enough about them not to be offended by my questions or suggestions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting