Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,959,588 times

Advertisements

Why do people on firearms internet forums trash this rifle so much? The two main complaints about the Mini-14 seem to be that it is SLIGHTLY less accurate than an AR and it doesn't accept as many accessories. I'm just curious because the Mini-14 receives a lot of hate on forums but the reviews of it are almost universally positive.

Is it a case of people who haven't actually shot one trashing it or are the people who don't like it mostly AR fanboys? Or are there legitimate reasons why it is a poor rifle?

Last edited by War Beagle; 01-28-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,852,117 times
It's certainly not as accurate as it could - or should be. Having said that, it's a FUN gun to shoot, and certainly not as expensive as an AR - even when you home-build 'em. I've got an AR I built to drive tacks - there's $600+ worth of optics on it, another $500 in build costs (it was a slow build, as I aquired the various components I wanted - including a 20" bull barrel) PLUS a $240 trigger. Buyin' one already built would've been $2,500+. I've got others that I've got less than $400 in, so there's a WIDE choice.

I just like the AR platform better - I can build one out pretty much any way I want, without having to "trash" stocks, etc. - just buy what I need, or in many instances, folks can pretty much find 'em already built the way they'd like.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
All you hear about is the accuracy problems due to the thin barrel when it heats up, the gas system, the trigger assembly, the magazines and you can spend a fortune on it and it still can't group consistently. Why waste the money when you get a AR that works and is accurate in comparison?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,959,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
All you hear about is the accuracy problems due to the thin barrel when it heats up, the gas system, the trigger assembly, the magazines and you can spend a fortune on it and it still can't group consistently. Why waste the money when you get a AR that works and is accurate in comparison?
That's good info. Most of the complaints I have read are much less specific than that. They are usually along the lines of "It stinks, don't buy it.".

Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,966,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Absolutely not correct.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Ruger Mini-14. In fact, there are models made by Riger that will shoot 1 MOA with very good reliability. Plus there are lots of accessories for it.

Lets talk some facts. The term "AR" has become so misused that it is virtually meaningless. There are a lot of slapped together semi-autos called "AR"s and they are barely passable when it comes to accuracy and reliability.

Also, a true Ar-15 is no more accurate that a Ruger Mini-14. Usually, when people refer to the "AR" being more accurate, it is because mostly, they are not the AR-15 but a look alike that has a heavier, higher quality barrel and other design modifications. The accuracy of the AR-15 is a myth because few people actually buy them, instead buying secondary market copies.

The most common comparisons are anecdotal, some person on Youtube posting videos that are hardly good measures or those comparing heavy barreled or modded AR look alikes (or from Colt) to standard Ruger Mini-14s.

Ruger makes a target grade version of the mini-14 that will amaze you with it's accuracy.

As far as reliability is concerned, that too is a misconception as the Ruger Mini-14, with proper maintenance, is ultra reliable. Like any rifle and more so with semi-autos, proper maintenance is a key issue affecting reliability. There are some law enforcement agencies that run hundreds of thousands of rounds through standard Mini-14s and then rely upon them for regular LE duty.

Lot of people rave about the reliability of H&K semi auto rifles. That is until those that never maintain them start talking about the locking rollers failing and so on. There are routinely replacement parts required in any semi-auto rifle and most people never pay attention to the schedules or only take notice after something fails, then bad mouth it.

Also, like with any firearm, you choose the rifle for the job. If you are going to do a lot of high volume shooting, only the complainers choose a light barreled rifle and then squawk about it.

The statement that the Ruger Mini14 can't group consistently is pure nonsense. Choose your ammunition wisely, as you should always match ammo to firearm, keep it clean and know how to properly clean a barrel and action and it groups consistently and accurately, easily as accurate as most people need.

$1100 is hardly a fortune and that is the MSRP for a target Ruger Mini-14 that will shoot 1 MOA all day long.

Most comments about which firearms are accurate, unreliable and so on come from uninformed sources, those that repeat what they've read somewhere from questionable sources.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,852,117 times
Well, what can I say...only owned 3 Mini's over the years....have none now, several AR's.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM

And one more thing. As with any mass produced firearm and often custom jobs too, certain production runs will have issues. Colt has them, Remington has them, H&K has them and so do they all. The factories fix them. You will always find anecdotal stories about some jimbooby that had this or that go wrong, then find out the guy is cleaning the bore with a straightened coat hanger, cut up t-shirt and 30w motor oil. Then looking a little further, you discover he bought 10,000 rounds of old Chek ammo with steel jackets and corrosive primers.

Just sayin.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,149,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Well, what can I say...only owned 3 Mini's over the years....have none now, several AR's.
I agree with you, we knew that some Ruger apoligists would step up to defend this gun. I wrote a letter to Ruger on this very issue. I had a new SS mini 14 that in a cold bbl would not hit the broad side of a barn. I shoot expert at the local DSM shoot with my ARs. I got a responce from Ruger that said that they had problems with the dies wearing down and not being replaced but they have updated the dies and now the gun is A OK. LOL Too late if that is the issue. I will take any of my ARs over a mini 14. And now you seep people trying to get 14 or 15 hundred out of them. I would not spend the money. If I saw one for 400 or less maybe I would pick it up but not for over 600 would I waste the money. Get a good quality AR and you can when the hopplaphobia dies down do like I did and for around 99 bucks get a 22 conversion kit in SS for the ARs. I got one left handed for my Stag left and one right for my Colt right. I can shoot 22lrs cheap out of the same gun. So I have a 22lr and 223.

Last edited by itlltickleurinnerds; 01-28-2013 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM

185 posts, read 406,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Why do people on firearms internet forums trash this rifle so much? The two main complaints about the Mini-14 seem to be that it is SLIGHTLY less accurate than an AR and it doesn't accept as many accessories. I'm just curious because the Mini-14 receives a lot of hate on forums but the reviews of it are almost universally positive.

Is it a case of people who haven't actually shot one trashing it or are the people who don't like it mostly AR fanboys? Or are there legitimate reasons why it is a poor rifle?
I have one and I've really enjoyed it; I don't shoot competition, just went out and did some plinking on the weekends. I've put thousands of rounds through mine (all cheap Russian stuff) and have never had any sort of issue with it. Don't shoot it much anymore, as I have moved past the 5.56 on to larger calibers. The bottom line is, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Yup, out come the Mini-41 vs AR-15 stuff. Like those life long talks about 9mm vs 45 acp and on and on. Always someone that had a problem, then spoke to the company or something like that.

Never heard of anything like that with Colt right? No such thing as a bad Ar-15 with no resolvable issues right?

Utter nonsense.

I've owned and fired both AR-15, their many copies and Ruger Mini-14s and the H&Ks, the FNs, and on and on. Big deal. All, when properly maintained shot well.

Most people who complain about accuracy can't hit anything much less see it. Usually, those who complain about a firearm can barely qualify.

Expert at the local DSM?

I competed at:

Camp Perry
Hanford
PanAm games

and won too.

Guess what? None of that matters one bit. Lots of people can brag, having done nothing. All it means is what you did or you experienced. Means squat.

Chevy vs Ford, 9mm vs 45. Revolver vs semi auto. Colt vs Ruger. Remington vs Winchester. 223 vs 308. Always someone to complain about something when it comes to that stuff and not one of them can prove a darn thing except what happened in their world, doesn't mean that is the way it is.

Lots of people won't buy Colt. Does that mean Colt sucks? Nope. Same for Ruger. So what. Your little world, not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting