Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

I'm a little tired of hearing words like "loony" and "paranoid" being used (seriously) in reference to gun owners and those who support our Second Amendment right to be vigilant against abuses of government.

Do you really, really trust your government THAT much? Do you think that governments get out of control in other countries because those people aren't like us, and good proper American politicians would never abuse their power or subjugate their people, that's just not possible...do you think that? Really?

Since folks like these comparisons so much (gun/car) how about this...

You go to get insurance on your home. You have never in your life had a house fire, and no one in your neighborhood has either. You don't own candles, you don't smoke, you don't do any of a dozen things that could cause your home to catch fire. You find out that you've got a choice between a form of home insurance that would cover you in the event of a house fire...or one that won't. Which do you choose? We prepare for the possibility of all kinds of things, even if they are unlikely, for the simple reason that it gives us PEACE OF MIND. Without peace of mind, it is hard to live your life and pursue your happiness.

The peace of mind that a gun owner in America has, goes way beyond being able to defend his own home (whether against an intruder or the government.) It is the peace of mind to know that his fellow citizens are also armed, and that this is at least some deterrent to a government bent on rounding anyone up and putting them into camps, or (possibly more likely) against a foreign government launching war on our home turf. You scoff at the notion that our government would put anyone in a prison camp? Yeah? Tinfoil-head talk, is it? Why would they do that, right? Why did Hitler's Germany do that, then, if it's so ridiculous and improbable? Why did we put the Japanese in camps here in the US? You tell me, why these thing that "will never happen"...have totally happened. And other countries get invaded all the time. Why not us? You think it's because the rest of the world just loves us so much?? Doubt it. Think our military will always be enough to keep them off our soil? It would be pretty easy to take advantage of the downsizing going on, or our troops being elsewhere, and make a move. I'm not saying "they" (said hypothetical foreign power) would WIN...but what if they knew that, and thought it was worth a suicidal effort just to blacken our eyes? Other countries are tired of us bringing war to their homelands, who is to say they don't band together to put us in our place? Well, at one point the leadership of a hostile foreign power considered it. But decided not to, because of the perception that our citizens are armed with lethal force. It's not just the known quanitities of our military you'd have to deal with.

My paranoia runs the other direction. I didn't want guns in my house, because I am afraid (still) of becoming a target of my own government. More "control" laws means more documentation. We are law abiding citizens...so IF our government sent any force to disarm the citizens...we'd be on the list. And I don't trust a gang of thugs to knock and ask nicely. In that scenario...is it better to be off the radar, or to stand up for your principles?

I lacked the courage to make that choice. So my husband has made it for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 04:08 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
IF our government sent any force to disarm the citizens...we'd be on the list. And I don't trust a gang of thugs to knock and ask nicely. In that scenario...is it better to be off the radar, or to stand up for your principles?
It's OK, just think that if they send people, it's going to be these guys...

So... why did I say that...?
Does anyone see the deliberate mistake...?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
I see it.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Misstep in gun bill could defeat the effort | Local News | The Seattle Times

The gun grabbers are always saying "we aren't going to go house to house for your guns" or "we believe in the second amendment too, we just want sensible limits". We all know this is garbage, they know we know this is garbage and yet they still cling to their lies.

Turns out they accidentally let the cat out of the bag. WA state had a gun control bill in its legislature that called for the banning of "assault weapons". Obviously, plenty of Washingtonians already own the scaries, so some legislators threw in the requirement that owners of pre-existing assault weapons submit to a police search of their homes each year. The responsible legislators claimed that some staffer put that clause in there and the actual legislator never read the bill (where have we heard that before?) that was only 8 pages long.

As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this sort of thing in the future and in other areas besides guns. There doesn't seem to be any limit to what the government wishes to be involved with, and since everything is about safety now, there are plenty of other hazards in every home that the good local safety inspector might need to know about.
To put it simply, there are no such things as "Assault Weapons", but there are a lot of Assault Humans. Like I mentioned before, violent idividuals have been around since the beginning of time, long before guns were invented.

Somebody needs to remind anti-gun politicians, all over the United States, not just Washington, that "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them".

Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I see it.
Well, the gubmint does tend to do things bass ackwards anyway.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
To put it simply, there are no such things as "Assault Weapons", but there are a lot of Assault Humans. Like I mentioned before, violent idividuals have been around since the beginning of time, long before guns were invented.

Somebody needs to remind anti-gun politicians, all over the United States, not just Washington, that "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them".

if washington dc outlaws firearms, too many americans will then be considered outlaws by the government. I will be one of these as well, as I wont give up any firearms in my lifetime.

the eotech sight on that swat guys rifle is backwards, but I dont expect any liberal to know that.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 PM

709 posts, read 656,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the eotech sight on that swat guys rifle is backwards, but I dont expect any liberal to know that.
Even saying this, I'm sure many still won't know what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting