Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:43 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times

Advertisements

Well, by now you have probably just about made up your mind what you are going to get, Mossberg or Remington in either a 20 gauge or a 12 gauge. I just counted my shotguns and they number 19, not including a 410 made by Thompson Center. One of the 20 Gauges is a Remington model 11 semi auto (manufactured years ago) the other is a SXS (also known as a double barrel) distributed by Stoeger Arms, and the other 17 are all 12 gauge. Some of them are pumps, some semi auto loaders, some SXS, and a couple O/U (Over and Unders). For your purpose I would recommend a pump shotgun, you will find it easy to use once you learn how all the features on it work. A double barrel, side by side is the very easiest to load and use, but you are limited to only two shots before you have to spend a few seconds reloading. With a pump you can buy an extended magazine and have as many as 8 rounds available for firing befire you have to reload. Remington Mag extensions are cheaper than Mossberg, and easier to find and install. I still would recommend 12 gauge over 20 gauge, the reason being you have more pellets in one shotshell with 12 gauge, and if you use double ought buck shot, that makes a big difference. 12 Gauge shotshells and slugs are more common and therefore easier to find than a 20 gauge. Then comes the recoil argument, I find there is very little difference in recoil, since the weight of the gun makes a difference and the shotshell load you are using also makes a difference. One poster said a 20 gauge has 50 to 60 % lighter recoil than a 12 gauge. I find that hard to believe, since none of us have any device to actually measure the felt recoil of a gun, I think recoil is what you perceive it to be. Some people are more sensitive than others of us. Whatever you decide to buy will be much better than nothing, I hope you learn to shoot it before you set it in a closet and forget about it. Good luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM

Here is a video clip of Jasmine Jesse loading and shooting a 12 gauge Winchester 97 pump shotgun. Notice, the recoil doesn't seem to bother her, nor does it affect a quick follow up shot. The second video is another loading technique, shooter is again using a 12 gauge.

Taurus Jessie Abbate - YouTube

USA AMMO Shotgun: Combat Loading - YouTube

Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM

18 posts, read 72,750 times
My personal preference would be a Saiga 12 gauge, pistol grips, laser, drum mag and more ;-)

I'd keep the old gun just in case

Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleClassAmericaDOTORG View Post
My personal preference would be a Saiga 12 gauge, pistol grips, laser, drum mag and more ;-)

I have a Saiga Tactical 12, quad rail, Eotech 512 and 10/12/20 round mags. It's too heavy. Impractical.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 PM

Default Shotgun questions - recommendations and how to get rid of old one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleClassAmericaDOTORG View Post

The Saiga 12 gauge is ok, but the magazines are long and awkward to handle (unlike a tubular magazine). I have a drum magazine for mine, and while it is neat to look at, it isn't practical. When loaded to capacity the drum magazine makes the whole affair too heavy to be real useful. Even 8 rounds in an 1100 or 870 Remington makes the gun harder to maneuver quickly. Three of my SXS are coach guns with short barrels, they are quick to point and shoot, but any experienced shooter with a short barreled pump shotgun can point as fast, and shoot more rounds faster. No matter what you are shooting you need a good device to hold you shotshells so you can retrieve them quickly and lots of practice doing everything right, if you are to reload and fire your gun quickly. Anyone that doesn't practice will be surprised at how fast a shooter who actually practice's can shoot, you wouldn't have a chance defending your life against them. You don't realize how darn slow you are until you actually try loading and firing a shotgun as fast as you can.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Go to a range, select the right ammo, fire both, decide. You'll want the 20 gauge and it will be plenty. If for some reason you wish to wield a larger, heavier gun in tight spaces, you will win with the 12 gauge. You can't lose and both will kill or stop equally.

Ignore the zombie replies and the ballistic bs you are now going to hear. If you have a friend who owns some, go to the woods and shoot up some limbs or stationary targets. 1/2 inch plywood is a good target. You tell me, within 20 feet, do ya' think it will stop some malcontent? Use high brass, 4 shot in 12 gauge or 2 or 3 shot in 20. Fire away...quickly. Focus on quick follow up ****(s). Try to get off 2 or 3.

Mission accomplished. If they keep coming after that, you will have quite a story to tell your friends as you empty the last 2-3 rounds into his carcass and/or friends. You can do it.

Buy the youth model. You are covered. Even in 12 gauge.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,482 times
As for getting rid of the current gun... I have to ask why.. Just clean it and set it aside.. You never know when it could be useful. But.... If you are set on getting rid of it I would first see if someone in the family might be interested. This is often times the easiest way to "sell" a gun. If that doesn't work I would take it to a gun shop and see if they will buy it or sell it on consignment. Since you said it's a 30 yrs old gun it might be worth something.. The other option is to sell it on Gun Broker. Just do your homework first and see what the gun is worth and make sure you're not breaking any laws.

Now.. As for replacing it. I too am going to recommend a Mossburg 500. They are no frills, get the job done shotguns. I have the 500 with pistol grip in matte black that holds 8 rounds but you can get the same model with a stock. I've run well over 1000 rounds through it and it has never once hiccuped.

As for gauge... I'm going to recommend the 12G model. Ammo is more readily available and the price is basically the same. You also have more options (at least in my area) and recoil can be managed by the type of load that you buy. My 5'6" GF has no problems shooting the 12G Pistol grip with 2X-buck.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:06 AM

5 posts, read 40,173 times
I would venture to say, most of the shotgun use for hunting birds, rabbits, squirrels can be done with a 20ga bore gun. I have killed just as many turkey up close under 25 yards with a 20ga gun than those at 35 & 40 yards with a 12ga 3-inch or 3.5-inch gun. Nothing like hunting quail in the field over German Shorthair Pointers with a 20gauge shotgun and it is a lot easier on your arms and shoulders at the end of the day too.

I would take a good close look at the Remington model 1100 or the 11-87 that has been proven for the last several decades and still selling strong with hunters across the country. I have 3 of the model 1100, 1 of the 11-87 field grade shotguns and they are bullet proof and half the price of the Italian made guns.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:43 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I like the idea of owning one multipurpose shotgun. Female, older, not an enthusiast, just practical.

I have an old crap shotgun I got from someone 30 years ago that I don't want. Its heavy, crap. (a Westernfield) first, how do I get rid of it?

Then, recommendations? I read one article that touted the wide range of ammo for the 12 gauge. But other articles recommend the 20 ga for lack of recoil, accuracy.

I like simple, reliable, flexible scenarios and ammo, easy to remember operation.

This is something I will shoot once and put in a closet till I need it (probably never). There is a remote possibility of living in, or traveling in, the country in retirement where I might feel the need for a shotgun as protection against wild animals or the occasional wounded animal out of its misery type thing in addition to the protection from bad people.
If you don't practice at least a little, you won't shoot very well when you need to.

As for the old gun, probably you can trade it in on the new gun you want, most "Ma and Pa" gun stores will do this. Probably won't give you a lot for it, but if it's in working order you can almost certainly get $100 for it.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 PM

285 posts, read 927,673 times
At least trade the old gun in on a newer one that is more suitable for you. Everything is worth something. It is my opinion that the old shot gun has paid for its self and that its time to send it on its way and get updated.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting