Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my CHL class tomorrow, and plan to start carrying my pistol more often.

My employer doesn't allow weapons in the building; therefore, whenever I have my pistol, it will remain in my car in the parking lot.

I drive a fairly bland car that doesn't go boom with stock rims. The only sticker on it is for the neighborhood boat launch.

My question is whether it's better to keep my pistol in the glove compartment locked or utilize a lock box with steel cable attached to the seat frame.

My thought process is that anybody who might break into my car would most likely check the glove compartment. If I were breaking into a car, and the glove compartment were locked, I'd believe that there was either a radar detector, gps unit or gun locked away. I'd also believe that it wouldn't take more than a few good kicks or a screwdriver to have my glove compartment opened in 10 to 15 seconds. (I won't be testing this).

With a cabled lock box, yes it can be opened, or pulled out, but I'm guessing that it would take much more time or better tools (which could include something like a brick) to get to the gun.

Opinions?

BTW, I did order a cabled lock box which will be here today, but I'm second guessing my opinion that it might be the best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Lock box hidden from view and hard to get out. Trunk would be even better.

I can pop open a locked glove box with my bare hands.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Second vote for lock box, second agreement that a glove box can be popped open very quickly, in a matter of seconds with a screwdriver (and it's the first place a bad guy will look).

A cable lock box can be opened indeed, but it takes a lot of time and some tools to do it. Most crooks don't have the patience and/or don't carry a four-foot long bolt cutter with them (it helps also if the lock box is secured under the seat, to the car frame, where they can't position the bolt cutter either).

Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
A locked glove box is no safer than an unlocked one, they aren't built to withstand much abuse.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 PM

582 posts, read 778,981 times
My vote is to leave the gun at home in a gun safe. Both of the above methods are good ways of assuring that a handgun gets into the hands of a criminal.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:03 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
I'm going to go the other direction from nealrm. I say bring it in to work, unless you work for the government or there are any actual laws (not company policies) that you would be breaking. Concealed is concealed. If you do what you're supposed to do as a concealed carry permit holder, the boss will never know you have it, and you won't be defenseless if that disgruntled employee that got fired a few months ago shows up for revenge.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm going to go the other direction from nealrm. I say bring it in to work, unless you work for the government or there are any actual laws (not company policies) that you would be breaking. Concealed is concealed. If you do what you're supposed to do as a concealed carry permit holder, the boss will never know you have it, and you won't be defenseless if that disgruntled employee that got fired a few months ago shows up for revenge.
Problem with that other side is, that its likely a gross violation of company policy and could lead to summary termination when discovered (it's not a matter of if it's a matter of when).

You might have grounds to sue, but when you're out of a job, you committed a gross violation of your previous companies policy making alternative employment difficult, and you're suing someone who has far more financial clout than you do (you're employed by that company, you don't own it), your chances are somewhere between fat, and a snowball in hell, the companies property is private property, they have the right to set any conditions of entry they desire.

If you're working for a company with a "no guns" policy, the options are simple, abide by the policy, or work elsewhere.

Meanwhile both options (glove box, or lock box) are not ideal, if the car is stolen, both also implicitly steal the gun too, and for most cars it's quicker and easier to steal the whole thing, than even mess with the glove box. If you're going with a lock box which is the better solution, then might I recommend not putting it in the trunk? It's the obvious place, and having a lockbox in the trunk guarantees that anyone trying to steal from you is going to open it (or try to). Put it under the front seat or something, so it can be mistaken for some electronics box, ideally weld it to the floor.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:39 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times
Doesn't really help you with your question, but make sure to keep copies of the serial numbers in a few different places in case the gun(s) does happen to get stolen.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:32 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Considering what Gugnir said - if you work somewhere that has a no guns policy, you feel like you really want to pack on the trip there, and you are worried about someone breaking in to your ride while it's in the company parking lot - seems to me you are overdue to look for a better place to work!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:27 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
My vote is to leave the gun at home in a gun safe. Both of the above methods are good ways of assuring that a handgun gets into the hands of a criminal.
He will be getting a concealed carry permit and, usually, will be carrying a weapon on his person. But, there are occurances where him and myself cannot carry a weapon - court houses, post offices, etc. They are relatively rare, so I have the car safe to handle those rare events.

Now in the OP's case, it might be argued that he is going to work everyday and cannot carry, so it's not a rare event for him. A valid question which may also be dependent on the amount of security exists in the employee parking lot. Still, he may be doing chores before or after work where he will wish to carry his weapon.

It's ironic however that "no guns allowed" restrictions actually may contribute to providing guns to the criminal elements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting