Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:49 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,616 times

Advertisements

Screw the company policy, your life is more important than that. Get a lockbox and hide it good. Say nothing about the gun meaning, never talk about it.

Before you hit your job's parking area stop and box the gun so no one will see you stashing it while in the parking lot. Get some rags and stuff 'em in front of the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Guns are not allowed in our company premises, and it is an automatic "you're gone" offense. Since the odds of me needing it are extremely remote, for me personally, the ultra-low risk of needing to defend myself at work isn't high enough for me to lose my job.

I will be leaving it in my car. We've never had a car stolen at work or in my neighborhood, but break-ins (smash and grabs) are an actual concern.

After reading posts, thinking more and reading online, I'll be leaving the gun locked in the lockbox, which is steel-cabled to my car seat frame when at work or going into my kids' schools. At home, it goes in the safe. Most everywhere else, it will be in my IWB holster.

Thank you for the replies.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm taking my CHL class tomorrow, and plan to start carrying my pistol more often.

My employer doesn't allow weapons in the building; therefore, whenever I have my pistol, it will remain in my car in the parking lot.

I drive a fairly bland car that doesn't go boom with stock rims. The only sticker on it is for the neighborhood boat launch.

My question is whether it's better to keep my pistol in the glove compartment locked or utilize a lock box with steel cable attached to the seat frame.

My thought process is that anybody who might break into my car would most likely check the glove compartment. If I were breaking into a car, and the glove compartment were locked, I'd believe that there was either a radar detector, gps unit or gun locked away. I'd also believe that it wouldn't take more than a few good kicks or a screwdriver to have my glove compartment opened in 10 to 15 seconds. (I won't be testing this).

With a cabled lock box, yes it can be opened, or pulled out, but I'm guessing that it would take much more time or better tools (which could include something like a brick) to get to the gun.

Opinions?

BTW, I did order a cabled lock box which will be here today, but I'm second guessing my opinion that it might be the best option.
They steal the car, it is easier and faster than messing with locked glove boxes or cabled down lock boxes. After that, getting your gun is a rather simple thing to do.

If your concerned about storing the gun while at work and usually commute to and from with a once in a while errand along the way, think about what you're doing and why. Are you going to unlock the gun after work on the way home? If so, you will establish a pattern and eventually everyone will know what you're doing. Would you consider using your gun while driving?

Do you have security at the place of work? If not, you fell safe enough there but not anywhere else? Better check on work place violence, your chances go up there as opposed to other places.

Just saying, evaluate the reason you are going to go through all this. I am not implying there is no justification for it, that is up to the individual, just that it seems some things haven't really been thought through.

If your employer doesn't allow weapons in the building, they will probably address your having a gun in the parking lot in quick order. In a very short period of time, everyone in the building is going to know you have a gun locked in the car. You can try to keep it a secret but like most such things, eventually the word gets out, someone sees you messing with a lock or something and then it becomes the talk of everyone including your boss, their boss and it goes from there.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
They steal the car, it is easier and faster than messing with locked glove boxes or cabled down lock boxes. After that, getting your gun is a rather simple thing to do.
Maybe where you live, they steal cars, but here in Houston, car break ins are radically more common than thefts.

Quote:
If your concerned about storing the gun while at work and usually commute to and from with a once in a while errand along the way, think about what you're doing and why. Are you going to unlock the gun after work on the way home? If so, you will establish a pattern and eventually everyone will know what you're doing. Would you consider using your gun while driving?
It will usually stay locked on the way home.

I drive through a really sketchy area after leaving work, and sometimes, I don't leave until after dark. If I were to have a break down or flat tire in this area. It would only take me 20 seconds to have the gun holstered. And IMHO, a gun 20 seconds away is better than a gun at home in the safe in many situations.

Quote:
Do you have security at the place of work? If not, you fell safe enough there but not anywhere else? Better check on work place violence, your chances go up there as opposed to other places.
You have to have a card key to swipe to gain entry.

I know I read a lot more stories of people robbed, beaten and killed while in the process of getting home or on an errand here than I do of people being shot at work.

Quote:
Just saying, evaluate the reason you are going to go through all this. I am not implying there is no justification for it, that is up to the individual, just that it seems some things haven't really been thought through.
Like I said, a gun 20 seconds away > than a cop 5 minutes away or a gun at home in a safe.

Quote:
If your employer doesn't allow weapons in the building, they will probably address your having a gun in the parking lot in quick order. In a very short period of time, everyone in the building is going to know you have a gun locked in the car. You can try to keep it a secret but like most such things, eventually the word gets out, someone sees you messing with a lock or something and then it becomes the talk of everyone including your boss, their boss and it goes from there.
Texas law states that employers can not ban you from having a gun in your vehicle. Nobody at work knows I have one in my car, but they do know about the 2 guys who always tell HR during our annual HR rules and codes meeting that the "no guns" in the parking lot rule is illegal and that they will not follow the rule. BTW, HR's standard answer is, "We know what the law is, we just need to have that in there due to our facilities that are in other states without that law."

Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Problem with that other side is, that its likely a gross violation of company policy and could lead to summary termination when discovered (it's not a matter of if it's a matter of when).

You might have grounds to sue, but when you're out of a job, you committed a gross violation of your previous companies policy making alternative employment difficult, and you're suing someone who has far more financial clout than you do (you're employed by that company, you don't own it), your chances are somewhere between fat, and a snowball in hell, the companies property is private property, they have the right to set any conditions of entry they desire.

If you're working for a company with a "no guns" policy, the options are simple, abide by the policy, or work elsewhere.
Absolutely agree here. The Second Amendment, like it or not, does not trump a property owner's rights and authority to control what is and is not allowed on that property. "Owner" rights also apply to any entity that is renting or leasing a property.

So, if company policy says "no guns allowed" and an employee is discovered carrying one anyway, it will very likely be regarded as an extremely serious offense -- to be dealt with by termination of employment. And, while anybody can sue anyone at any time, the plaintiff's attorney would probably have extreme difficulty establishing a reasonable cause of action. To simplify, no cause of action equals no legal standing, equals no lawsuit.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Guns are not allowed in our company premises, and it is an automatic "you're gone" offense. Since the odds of me needing it are extremely remote, for me personally, the ultra-low risk of needing to defend myself at work isn't high enough for me to lose my job.

I will be leaving it in my car. We've never had a car stolen at work or in my neighborhood, but break-ins (smash and grabs) are an actual concern.

After reading posts, thinking more and reading online, I'll be leaving the gun locked in the lockbox, which is steel-cabled to my car seat frame when at work or going into my kids' schools. At home, it goes in the safe. Most everywhere else, it will be in my IWB holster.

Thank you for the replies.
I'm the one that suggested you take it into the office, but I fully understand your decision and I don't blame you for it.

If you're going to leave it in your car, consider getting an alarm for it that has a pager, with enough range to notify you of a break-in while you're at your desk/work station.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Lock box hidden from view and hard to get out. Trunk would be even better.

I can pop open a locked glove box with my bare hands.

weld a steel box in between the front seats and put a nice combo lock on it. that way it even keeps cops out of it when they do their terry frisk.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
We have a policy that matches the States. If I had to drive home to load up before a trip it would really suck.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
The problem with work not permitting vehicle storage is that this is a daily problem. I teach part time on a college campus, and NC has passed a law that allows anyone with a CHP to store a handgun in a closed compartment in a locked vehicle. Very convenient for me as I can now run all my errands before or after my class on campus, especially nice for the late night classes.

This applies to all public educational campuses, from grade school to universities, but not private schools.

One of the big problems were the parents who might get a call that their kid is sick or hurt and needs to be picked up. They may have to drive home, then back to school, which could easily be 20 miles, or commit a felony by having a handgun on school property. Now they can go directly to the school, and not become an accidental felon.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Screw the company policy, your life is more important than that. Get a lockbox and hide it good. Say nothing about the gun meaning, never talk about it.

Before you hit your job's parking area stop and box the gun so no one will see you stashing it while in the parking lot. Get some rags and stuff 'em in front of the box.
If you are so worried about your life at the jobsite, maybe its time to pack up and head for the hills.

Screw company policy, yeah, such a novel idea. Then you can be unemployed, sit at home on the couch with a 45 under the seat, one in the freezer and two in the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting