Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

Wondering if any of you wear a brace on either or both of your wrists while shooting. Feels like I may have aggravated an old left wrist injury the other day while shooting. I am right handed so of course my left wrist is not as strong.

I feel like it may be a good idea to wear something while shooting to prevent any further injury.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
My Sister already has a problem with her wrist, and does wear a wrist brace on occasion to shoot, I don’t know the brand, but I imagine that any places that specializes in medical supply items would have such a brace. I don’t know how much she spent, but I will bet less than $50.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Years ago, I was heavy into competition and we had to "Teach" our muscles. We did this by simply, never laying down our weapon. Sounds kind of funny, but:

While sitting in the evening, relaxing, lay your pistol by your side. Pick an object, like a picture on the wall. With your eyes closed, grab the pistol and point it at the picture. Now open your eyes and see where you are pointed. Do this repeatedly until you get a certain pattern going.

Now, while watching TV, pint the weapon at the upper right corner, or upper left corner, or even at the picture. See how long you can hold the bead, until you start shaking. Don't go too long because then it makes it work. Do it repeadedly. After a while, you will find that you have less sag, that you can hold the bead for long and longer.

Little things like this are to teach your muscles how, and where to hold the weapon. You can also practice grabbing the weapon and pointing it. Make sure that you always hold your hand in the same place each time. But pay attention that one time the barrel is pointed left, or right, or up, or down.

These things all help build up muscle control, and most importantly, muscle strength. Using a wrist brace can actually handycap you because you depend on the brace as the strength and not your arm.

Practice this with both hands. You will be shocked at how little time it takes to see major results. We're talking a week at most and you will see that you are grabbing the pistol the exact same each time, you are picking it up and when you lock your wrist into place the gun is pointed at the exact same place, not left, not right. You will find a comfortable way to hold the gun, when in actuality, you are conforming your muscles to accept that as being comfortable.

If you are real limp wristed, you can tie a small weight (3 or 4 ouces) to a string and hang it from the end of the barrel. All of this helps. You will see a definate advantage.

It has been years since I shot any matches, but yet today I can grab that 1911, with my eyes closed and point it at a picture. When I open my eyes, that picture is lined up exactly the way it should be, had I kept my eyes open.

When you shoot targets, you either lift, or you roll, or you do a little of each. The object of muscle control is that when you roll back, your hand stops all by itself, exactly where it shoud be. It gets to the point that you don't even think about it and you roll right back in and while you are rolling, you are taking slack out of the trigger so that when your hand stops, the gun lifts again.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
Like in Richmond VA, Westbury Pharmacy is the place to go.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:12 PM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
Near the Pharmacy in Wal-Mart they have a section with different type braces for wrists, knees etc. I have a few...

Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
This brought to mind a buddy of mine that had a enduro motorcycle wreck way back when. He ended up with a broken wrist and sprained wrist. He thought he could shoot a 41 magnum blackhawk with the broken one. It was so funny I really wished I had a Youtube of that. Hey, we were young and had to find out what would hurt us and sometimes it did.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Wondering if any of you wear a brace on either or both of your wrists while shooting. Feels like I may have aggravated an old left wrist injury the other day while shooting. I am right handed so of course my left wrist is not as strong.

I feel like it may be a good idea to wear something while shooting to prevent any further injury.

Any suggestions?
Handgun? This is a great time to train your strong-side only until the injury heals. Practice your drills one-handed. Once it does and the wrist is better, train support side. I advocate that you should be able to make solid hits on an IPSC target out to 50 yards, on demand, using strong or support-side only, as well as of course using both hands. You may not always have both hands functioning (like now...sortof). Get in the habit. Reloads, malfunction clearance, etc. You should be able to deploy, accurately engage, reload, clear, etc. your pistol using both, or either hand alone.

To help re-hab your grip...

www.ironmind.com

I am not affiliated, but I and a lot of others use them to improve our shooting, as well as our lifts in the gym. I recommend their "expand your hands" bands, and the grippers, CoC. As well as their "eggs". The CoC grippers WILL TAKE YOUR MANCARD! So beware. I can deadlift 315 for reps without gloves, but I struggle furiously to close their #1.5 gripper. Some serious big guys have struggled super hard when I hand them the #1 gripper. So with your situation, seriously pick some of the light stuff in the gripper dept. You are REHABBING! Not Buffing up! For right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting