Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,000,731 times

Advertisements

Looking for these for my Marlin .375 win. I have the dies but cannot find any bullets.
Tried Sierra/Nosler/and other supply companies.

If you have any or know where to get them I would appreciate it.

Been doing a little sightin in on my rifle and elk season is 2 weeks away and I am down to 4 shells/which should be ok; but want to reload the brass for upcoming hog hunting

Thanks;

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Looking for these for my Marlin .375 win. I have the dies but cannot find any bullets.
Tried Sierra/Nosler/and other supply companies.

If you have any or know where to get them I would appreciate it.

Been doing a little sightin in on my rifle and elk season is 2 weeks away and I am down to 4 shells/which should be ok; but want to reload the brass for upcoming hog hunting

Thanks;

HW
..............Currently available:......................

Sierra 200 gr Flat nose.................................

Hornaday 220 gr Flat Nose........................................

Barnes 250 gr Flat Nose................

.............IMHO to go into an elk hunt with 4 rounds.........................is,......is, well...................... Just my opinion

Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

Sierra 200 gr Flat nose..............................NOT AVAILABLE FROM SIERRA OR MIDWEST...OUT OF STOCK THEY TELL ME....

Hornaday 220 gr Flat Nose...........i WILL CHECK THIS ONE...............................

Barnes 250 gr Flat Nose........DON'T NEED 250 GR. I HAVE A SUPER GROUP W/ THE 200 GR. AND IT'S ALL I NEED........

.............IMHO to go into an elk hunt with 4 rounds.........................is,......is, well...................... Just my opinion
THANKS Griz..

Old 11-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Oh, the Elk are like 1/4 mile out west on my property. Not like a big time hunt, just wait until sunset and they show up...look for a big un..

Old 11-07-2011, 04:01 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:

Sierra 200 gr Flat nose.................................

Hornaday 220 gr Flat Nose........................................

Barnes 250 gr Flat Nose................

Do you have a preference among these Griz? I have not shot any of these bullets but Barnes has a reputation for making heavier than average bullets with thick but soft jackets, that just plain work.

Probably any of these would be fine though.

If a guy wants to go there, the .375 Win is a good cast bullet shooter...

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Do you have a preference among these Griz? I have not shot any of these bullets but Barnes has a reputation for making heavier than average bullets with thick but soft jackets, that just plain work.

Probably any of these would be fine though.

If a guy wants to go there, the .375 Win is a good cast bullet shooter...
...........Hey M3...............

I don't own a .375 Winchester so I can't comment on these bullets in that cartridge...HOWEVER...........I do own and shoot handloads out of a .375 H&H Magnum that I had a gunsmith put together for me... (I bought the components)... back in 1985 with the prospects of using it on big game with specifically taylored loads for the game involved. The gun is composed of a magnum length Withworth (Manchester, England mfg) action; a Douglas barrel (1:12 twist) a Bell & Carlson Synthetic stock (action is glass bedded & barrel is free floated).
Weight is 7#-14oz with a 1 1/2 to 6 Burris in Warne rings and bases (I like all steel in my scope, rings and bases).

I have used the Hornaday 220gr for deer (loaded "DOWN" to 1700 fps with great results (using 28gr of 4759 powder). I try and keep the bullet impact area at the point where the neck starts to widen out & begins to form the beginning of the shoulder. Blood-shot meat is minimal & death is instaneous.

I do not use it for Elk......I have a .338 Win Mag that I've used w/ 250 gr Nosler Partitions since 1965 for those guys.

However, the actual reason for the .375 H&H is (was) to have a rifle suitable for a Kodiak hunt...........well, in 1991 I got that chance. (my name was on a guide's "cancelled-hunt" list for 4 years and finally came to the top. (cancelled hunts on Kodiak --at that time-- were re-sold for 1/2 price). I had worked up a load for the 300gr Nosler Partition and that's what I used at 40 yards in November 1991 in my 60th year .

But to get back to your question..................yes, IMO any of the 3 bullets should be fine (when handloaded to suit the game and the expected range).

.......SIDE BAR NOTE, regarding BARNES Bullets:.....(a little story about FRED BARNES).....................

Back in early 1960's "THE" Fred Barnes was mfg his bullets in his home/garage/basement in Grand Junction, CO. I used to have to go over to G.J. (from the Denver area) about 4 times a year to call on Union Carbide and see if any projects were coming up where I could sell them some steel.

Any way, in about 1962 I stopped at his place, sat down at the kitchen table and we "shot the B.S. for a while". At that time my rifles consisted of a .243 & a .30/06. He ended up giving me some 112gr .243 & some some 250gr .30 cal bullets. (as I type this I have a few of each in front of me). These bullets consist of a soft lead core inside a .032" pure copper jacket with about 1/12th" of the lead tip exposed. And all his bullets (at that time) had the "tell-tale" "dimple" dead center in the base of the copper jacket. His semi automated equipment ....(a lot of the process was also hand operated).... for swaging the lead into the copper jacket material caused that dimple to occur. His bullets weren't the most accurate, but boy did they ever give deep penetration and expand beautifully.

The other three "firearms & ammo" gentlemen I had the good fortune to meet and have "gun-talk" with ...(in the 1960's, 1970's & '80's) during my traveling around the Rocky Mountain west servicing the mining industry......were: ELMER KEITH...,BOB HAGEL....and P.O. ACKLEY. They were all: "The-last- of-a-breed", that exists "no more'.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
...........Hey M3...............

I don't own a .375 Winchester so I can't comment on these bullets in that cartridge...HOWEVER...........I do own and shoot handloads out of a .375 H&H Magnum that I had a gunsmith put together for me... (I bought the components)... back in 1985 with the prospects of using it on big game with specifically taylored loads for the game involved. The gun is composed of a magnum length Withworth (Manchester, England mfg) action; a Douglas barrel (1:12 twist) a Bell & Carlson Synthetic stock (action is glass bedded & barrel is free floated).
Weight is 7#-14oz with a 1 1/2 to 6 Burris in Warne rings and bases (I like all steel in my scope, rings and bases).

I have used the Hornaday 220gr for deer (loaded "DOWN" to 1700 fps with great results (using 28gr of 4759 powder). I try and keep the bullet impact area at the point where the neck starts to widen out & begins to form the beginning of the shoulder. Blood-shot meat is minimal & death is instaneous.

I do not use it for Elk......I have a .338 Win Mag that I've used w/ 250 gr Nosler Partitions since 1965 for those guys.

However, the actual reason for the .375 H&H is (was) to have a rifle suitable for a Kodiak hunt...........well, in 1991 I got that chance. (my name was on a guide's "cancelled-hunt" list for 4 years and finally came to the top. (cancelled hunts on Kodiak --at that time-- were re-sold for 1/2 price). I had worked up a load for the 300gr Nosler Partition and that's what I used at 40 yards in November 1991 in my 60th year .

But to get back to your question..................yes, IMO any of the 3 bullets should be fine (when handloaded to suit the game and the expected range).

.......SIDE BAR NOTE, regarding BARNES Bullets:.....(a little story about FRED BARNES).....................

Back in early 1960's "THE" Fred Barnes was mfg his bullets in his home/garage/basement in Grand Junction, CO. I used to have to go over to G.J. (from the Denver area) about 4 times a year to call on Union Carbide and see if any projects were coming up where I could sell them some steel.

Any way, in about 1962 I stopped at his place, sat down at the kitchen table and we "shot the B.S. for a while". At that time my rifles consisted of a .243 & a .30/06. He ended up giving me some 112gr .243 & some some 250gr .30 cal bullets. (as I type this I have a few of each in front of me). These bullets consist of a soft lead core inside a .032" pure copper jacket with about 1/12th" of the lead tip exposed. And all his bullets (at that time) had the "tell-tale" "dimple" dead center in the base of the copper jacket. His semi automated equipment ....(a lot of the process was also hand operated).... for swaging the lead into the copper jacket material caused that dimple to occur. His bullets weren't the most accurate, but boy did they ever give deep penetration and expand beautifully.

The other three "firearms & ammo" gentlemen I had the good fortune to meet and have "gun-talk" with ...(in the 1960's, 1970's & '80's) during my traveling around the Rocky Mountain west servicing the mining industry......were: ELMER KEITH...,BOB HAGEL....and P.O. ACKLEY. They were all: "The-last- of-a-breed", that exists "no more'.
Thanks for this - To digress a bit I have met one of the shooting world's heavies - the current CEO of Ruger - at a 2nd Amendment Foudation seminar, when he was "just" their chief counsel. Hell of a guy, not at all pretentious.

I called Hodgdon's 800 # once with a question (using a similar load of H380 in 30-40 Krag where it was not listed, as was listed in the almost identical case volume 308 (using the starting load only, respecting the relative pressure ceilings of the 2 rounds) and anyway Bruce Hodgdon himself answered my call. He said he liked to work the phones some to stay in touch with what his "public" was thinking about.

At least we gun guys have real heros, heroic shooters who don't do weird things on the side...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
I'm using the 220gr Hornady in all of my 375s with a max load of RE7. While it's not elk I'm shooting, a 500lb feral hog is a pretty tough animal to bring down. There's not a lot of difference between the 375 and a Peterbilt at 200 yds, they're dead before they hit the ground.

P O Ackley, I had Parker build my first custom rifle way back when I was a young man. It was an 03 action chambered for the 3006 Ackley. He got me started in benchrest and from there I had Bob Pease build me a bench rifle on the 40X action in 30/338mag. I still have it and a book Bob wrote on accuracy that he signed for me. That rifle is still a one hole rifle at 100 yds and has shot the one hole groups in competition. Bob got me started on league shooting and if you really think yer good, get on a league. You'll learn things that you would have never thought about. I've also competed with a .261x 47 Dietz TNT and that was a hoot. Crazy how things go around as the guys are now shooting the 6 Dashers and 6XCs at 1 mile and doing really great. I've got a 6XC coming and can't wait. A friend had one built and we shot a half inch group this last weekend at his ranch at 500 yds. It was the perfect morning for shooting with zero wind and cool. Now if all shooting scenarios would just be like that....

Old 09-25-2014, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,337 times
Hunter Wold,
If you reload, call Hawk Bullets, NOW (9/25/14) They have 200 grain FP bullets for the .375 Winchester. Don't screw around, they only made a small run. Get now or wait for months.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:21 PM

Hunter,

Why do you specifically want 200 grain bullets? I am thinking for hog hunting the 220 Hornady would be, if anything, better.

You can get into swageing your own jacketed bullets if you want, or like I mentioned before this gun is usually a good shooter with cast bullets. Here, again, if you don't see a mold that casts what you want, there are custom molds available, for reasonable prices really considering that it was made to your order.

-Mitch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting