Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Its a proven fact that more hunters, and non hunters, like hikers and nature enthusiasts, are hurt and killed by deer, every year, than all predator animal attacks combined. I've never had such an encounter with a deer. There is a bad habit, that many inexperienced hunters, especially inexperienced archers, to rush right in after hitting the mark. If the deer goes down, on the spot, then some folks really get in a hurry.

Best to give the critter some time. Let blood loss take over and make sure the animal stays down. Running tight to/after them charges adrenaline, and unless one really likes tracking for miles, or really risk losing it in a chase, over long distances, its best to just sllw down and engage brain.

Nope, its not prudent to take the "lowly" deer for granted. They are plumb, boot leather, tough, and, as evidenced, even a doe can throw a whoop a$$ out,, if given opportunity and motive. Things like this happen all the time. Deer account for a good number of people hurt , seriously, by wildlife.

This never gets old...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Crossbows are usually legal during rifle hunt seasons. When cornered a Deer will kick your butt.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:51 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
That video made my day. Too funny .
I have walked among several doe with out spooking them, with in 5-7 feet . It depends on the time of year and your demeanor .
Buck have Attacked people especially during the rutt .
Some times people can become complacent when so often they do not normally show aggression however injuries change the whole picture. It is literally the most dangerous thing to hunt with bow and arrow on foot, because it is not a stopper .
Only rarely had an animal stopped in its tracks hit by an arrow to my knowledge .
The chances are thin at best.
Just cause a guy is old does not mean he is using good sense.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:22 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
That video made my day. Too funny .
I have walked among several doe with out spooking them, with in 5-7 feet . It depends on the time of year and your demeanor .
Buck have Attacked people especially during the rutt .
Some times people can become complacent when so often they do not normally show aggression however injuries change the whole picture. It is literally the most dangerous thing to hunt with bow and arrow on foot, because it is not a stopper .
Only rarely had an animal stopped in its tracks hit by an arrow to my knowledge .
The chances are thin at best.
Just cause a guy is old does not mean he is using good sense.
There was a video, making the round a while back, of a would be bow hunter getting a mud hole stomped in him by a big buck. Turns out, the guy had doused himself in doe estrus, and this buck became quite....annoyed by him. Up on his haunches, just flat pummeling the guy. He was all over him like ugly on ape.

When my son took hunter safety, they went pretty deep into the dangers posed by carelessness around wildlife. We watched a film called "Urban Elk", that I highly recommend. Good film! The situations people put themselves in, just incredible. Proper thinking is a must, if one is going to hunt. Buying all kinds of expensive gear and weapons and taking to the field, does not a "hunter" make.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:04 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I hope someone put that poor deer out of its misery. Hunters who can't shoot to kill (whether gun or arrow) shouldn't be hunting at all.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:20 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
The first deer I ever took I shot with a pistol as it was facing me at about 30 yards. The bullet hit at the base of the neck and went through the heart.

The buck went down on its front knees, got up and came right at me as I was directly in front of it and downhill. It swerved just before it got to me and dropped about 6 feet to my left. It was pretty much dead when it made its run.

My brother and sister were hunting in heavy timber when a herd of elk were spooked somewhere in front of them and stampeded over the ridgeline and came right down on top of my brother and sister and their horses. My brother fired into the ground and split the herd when they closed to within about 30 yards.

I have had bull elk within 10 feet of me during the rut when their defenses are down and their hormones are in high gear. At that time they will just as likely attack as run.

Just because an animal is a herbavore doesn't mean it can't hurt you.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:21 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I hope someone put that poor deer out of its misery. Hunters who can't shoot to kill (whether gun or arrow) shouldn't be hunting at all.
Agreed, the hunter should be proficent with their weapon before hunting. However, to ease your mind, unless a fatal hit, most arrow wounds heal fairly quickly as they don't have the tissue damage associated with hydrostatic shock that a bullet imparts. It's basically just a clean cut.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
It seems as though people can be too stupid to learn from the mistakes of others, and excuse them selves from being careful.
Then blame the wild life for being what it is ,wild.
The best hunters I know put them selves the animals position.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Why don't deer EVER attack me when I'm out hunting?!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:06 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Why don't deer EVER attack me when I'm out hunting?!
I know huh?! Every time I see them, when I'm just hunting, it usually just their tail ends, disappearing over the ridge. 500 yards off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting