Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:00 PM

156 posts, read 162,930 times

Advertisements

I have been keeping my eye on AK drums and AR mags, the price seems to be creeping up a bit and the AK drums are getting more scarce. I just ordered two of them at 69 bucks each and I had to do some looking. Most places were out of stock. AR mags are up also, best I could do on Magpul were 8.99 for the OD for 10. Black ones are now 12.99 best I can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,290 times
A little bit, but if you remember 1994-2004 you wouldn't be complaining much.

$175-$200 for a high cap Glock, Sig Sauer, HK etc magazine.

September 13th 2004.......the price went down to under $40 and even under $20 on the Glocks.

Talk about a sinking feeling in your stomach after what you did after work on September 9th 2004 by stopping by the local gun shop to stock up...

Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 PM

286 posts, read 262,597 times
only deluded suckers were paying those prices for AK stuff, man. There's AK mags all over the WORLD. Somebody would be smuggling in trainloads of them if they could count on being able to make 10x the price/profit

Old 07-30-2015, 04:40 PM

58 posts, read 110,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
only deluded suckers were paying those prices for AK stuff, man. There's AK mags all over the WORLD. Somebody would be smuggling in trainloads of them if they could count on being able to make 10x the price/profit
Real Russian "Red Dawn" Bakelite proof-marked Izhmash and Tula AKM mags are salty and rare no matter when you buy/bought them. The Hungarian "tanker" 20 round mags specially made for tanker crews are also rare and pricey. They were cheap for a brief time, but it caught on among target shooters just like they also have done with old USGI 20 round AR15/M16 magazines that it's much easier to shoot from a bench or rest without a big 30 round "banana" hanging out of the bottom of your rifle.

75 round windup drums were pushing $300+ during the ban. Even $100 is a good deal today, let alone $69.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:57 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
There was a massive buildup in production and hording in the wake of Sandy Hook. Then after the proposed high-cap mag ban never happened the hoarders started dumping. This flooded the market driving prices down and causing fabricators to slow production. Things are just getting back to normal. Maybe a slight uptick as the pendulum swings back.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:21 AM

I bought two more of the Romanian drums at 153 delivered, I also picked up a few more of the Butler Creek steel lips 25 round 1022 mags. 9 bucks each on those. I remember during the ban those were going for 100 bucks each or more.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:10 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Not being a drum and magazine collector, how many loaded rounds does everyone feel is necessary to keep on hand at one time? I don't mean all total rounds owned, just loaded up into mags and drums.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Not being a drum and magazine collector, how many loaded rounds does everyone feel is necessary to keep on hand at one time? I don't mean all total rounds owned, just loaded up into mags and drums.
You don't buy magazines to keep them all loaded, they are an investment. Politicians are targeting so called "Hicap" magazines to ban and have succeeded in some areas of the country. If by chance there is ever a ban a 6 dollar mag will go for 100 dollars fast. Now if they ever do a retro ban which has not been done on a national level yet, then I don't know it would be black market only I guess. But what can you put money into to buy so cheap as Magazines now? ARs, AKs sure but mags are cheap and no licensing and you can keep them in the back of a closet and wait. Put a few hundred into a 10/22 BX25 mags and they will go from 19 to 100 if there is any wiff that the usual suspects are coming. AK all steel mags from the old commie block nations are still 89 bucks for 10, but I also remember when cheap AKs from China with underfolder stocks were lined in every gun and pawn shop for 299 in the mid 80s. Now who would not want to have several or a 100 at that price?

Old 08-15-2015, 08:24 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger4u View Post
You don't buy magazines to keep them all loaded, they are an investment. Politicians are targeting so called "Hicap" magazines to ban and have succeeded in some areas of the country. If by chance there is ever a ban a 6 dollar mag will go for 100 dollars fast. Now if they ever do a retro ban which has not been done on a national level yet, then I don't know it would be black market only I guess. But what can you put money into to buy so cheap as Magazines now? ARs, AKs sure but mags are cheap and no licensing and you can keep them in the back of a closet and wait. Put a few hundred into a 10/22 BX25 mags and they will go from 19 to 100 if there is any wiff that the usual suspects are coming. AK all steel mags from the old commie block nations are still 89 bucks for 10, but I also remember when cheap AKs from China with underfolder stocks were lined in every gun and pawn shop for 299 in the mid 80s. Now who would not want to have several or a 100 at that price?
Got it, I just wasn't looking at the right angle!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:09 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
I don't buy mags for investment, but for what each of my semiautos should have to accompany them. Pistols, at least three each, 10/22 Rugers the same, then a minimum of 8-10 for the AR15s & Mini-14. Some shooters will think that's totally inadequate and one should have dozens for each gun. I don't care - whatever floats your boat.

And buy NOW while they are relatively cheap instead of waiting for the greedy neckbeards to gouge the naïve procrastinating suckers when the next ban causes more craziness. Same with ammo - it'll keep for decades if properly stored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting