Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 07:15 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times

Advertisements

I know one is a little more, Sig. Fit and finish is much better. Colt has the history etc due to its battle proven milspecs.
Just curious of pros and cons.
I am looking a reliable , plinker, HD and SHTF gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 07:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Colt 6920 is a proven solution. SIG has been dumped by government agencies because of QA/QC and reliability issues (handguns). I just don't have any faith in SIG, while Colt provides M4's via contract to the military...you don't think they make a military gas tube, and a civilian one? A military upper, and a civilian one? Nah, everything that can, does come from the same place. Maybe a different assembly line, but you know you're getting something with a decent amount of quality behind it vs. a company who makes products to arbitrary personal standards vs. that of a large organization (I don't think any military is using the SIG 516)

Old 09-18-2016, 10:02 PM

30 posts, read 35,503 times
Default I have both...

I have both and am torn which I like better. Both of these rifles are great quality and have very few FTFs (Failure to Feeds) and FTEs (Failure to Ejects). My Colt is bone stock and my Sig is fully accessorized with a holographic sight, quad rails, etc. I prefer to shoot my Sig as it has a 10" barrel and the "red dot" sight...mainly because my eyes are aging. Both shoot with about the same high accuracy, too. However, finding parts (especially) the Sig specific parts is a nightmare. Genuine Colt parts are hard enough to find, but there compatible parts from quite a few competitors.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
OP just curious why you limit your selection to just these two models. It's a buyers market for AR15s and other manufacturers - S&W, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc also offer quality rifles sometimes with more competitive prices. Is it a gas piston feature you are looking for?
For the colt, an excellent weapon, realize you are paying somewhat for the "colt" brand name.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:02 AM

41 posts, read 42,888 times
I would go with the Colt hands down. Parts for it are in every pawn shop just about. Colt also just came out with the sub 700 M4. 699 MSRP. https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sub...e-full-review/

Old 09-19-2016, 02:52 PM

75 posts, read 87,738 times
I love my Colt 6920 and have two(sorta, one is for work) and out of the box its good to go.

If you plan to put all the fancy things likes triggers, rails, stocks BCG, etc...I would strongly suggest building one yourself. He nails it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glk1qMbj7S0

Also look at ar15.com There is a TON of info on that site to help make your mind up

Old 09-19-2016, 03:35 PM

990 posts, read 2,557,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Colt 6920 is a proven solution. SIG has been dumped by government agencies because of QA/QC and reliability issues (handguns). I just don't have any faith in SIG, while Colt provides M4's via contract to the military...you don't think they make a military gas tube, and a civilian one? A military upper, and a civilian one? Nah, everything that can, does come from the same place. Maybe a different assembly line, but you know you're getting something with a decent amount of quality behind it vs. a company who makes products to arbitrary personal standards vs. that of a large organization (I don't think any military is using the SIG 516)
^^^^This^^^^^

Sig is NOT the company they once were.

Sig is attempting to live off a reputation earned years ago by artisans who took pride in their designs and work.

A reputation that is no longer deserved.

It seems they have degraded to "kick it out the door", we'll deal with the defects later.... AFTER the customer gets it.

Not a business model that inspires confidence..... Truly sad.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:25 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatguyinAK View Post

Also look at ar15.com There is a TON of info on that site to help make your mind up
I love that site, the only problem is some of the posters think that any furniture you add to your AR must somehow be top of the line, able to withstand Iraq, Afhiganistan, the next world war, and the zombie apocalypse. It's like - we don't all need a $1,000 ACOG. They seem to ridicule those that dare to go with a $150 bushel.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:14 AM

41 posts, read 42,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I love that site, the only problem is some of the posters think that any furniture you add to your AR must somehow be top of the line, able to withstand Iraq, Afhiganistan, the next world war, and the zombie apocalypse. It's like - we don't all need a $1,000 ACOG. They seem to ridicule those that dare to go with a $150 bushel.
I know. I argue all the time with the Aim and Eotech people who pay 1000 dollars or a bit less because if the glass breaks you can pick up a piece and tap it to the front sight and still shoot. LMAO. I have several TRS25s and they for 75 bucks great. Red dot is not a 300 yard sight. Its designed for close combat quick acquisition. Most of the guys who buy this that I see at the gun range are so over weight they could not get over a picket fence 2 feet high. They will stand at the range huffing and puffing telling me a fantasy where this sight holds up.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:50 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Colt - because the rest are just imitations.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting