Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 03:44 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times

Advertisements

If it coes to a .22 vs. a .32 ACP, Iwill take the .22 every time. That comes from a person who owns a Keltec .32. It has been in the safe most of its life. I call it an eye socket gun. The most effective way to use it is to wait until the perp is on top of you, stick it in his eye socket, and empty the weapon. Other than that, it is a pretty weak choice. I like the .22 better, for less recoil, plenty of penetration to get inside the skull or chest cavity, and generally not enough to come out the other side, so it just bounces around until it runs out of steam. And the ammo is cheap enough to get lots of practice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 06:29 PM

572 posts, read 435,490 times
Isn't .25 and .35 also pocket calibers, still made?

.22, .25, .32, .35, .380ACP... all small...

Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That's the model 86, right? I didn't think it was still being made (or at least not available in the US).
Yes, the tip-up barrel Beretta .380 is the model 86. I am not certain if they are still being made, the Wikipedia article that I checked did not indicate it was out of print. Hey, I buy all sorts of guns that have been out of print since before I was born, you just have to hunt around gun shows, pawn shops, and gun stores. Hardly bad duty.

While the tip-up barrel allows a person who can't rack the slide to load it, as I mentioned these pistols don't have an extractor at all, so clearing a misfire can be sort of problematic. Since it's a DA auto, you can crank through the double action pull (maybe again) and usually a reluctant primer will "go" on a second whack from the firing pin. But once in a while you get a true dud, and you have to throw it free from the pistol to get it back in operation. In a real confrontation, you have to do this while your attacker is still advancing, maybe already shooting at you, in any case you have to do it quick, and without putting your full attention on your gat. The drill for a 1911 is well known. To clear an 86, you would, I guess, have to unlatch the barrel and then shake the dud out.

Contrast the wheel gun, a second double or single action actuation of the firing mechanism will bring a fresh round to bear without any serious gymnastics required of the shooter.

Usually the DA pull on a revolver is better than the DA pull on an automatic. I'm not certain why this is true, probably because the DA auto has a more complex mechanism.

A really good shooter will start the DA pull as the gat is raised to bear on the target, rather than getting sights on target and then "crunch through". Most who try it will find that earing the hammer back with a thumb (try both hands, see what you like) and shooting the first shot SA is not much slower than using DA, and gives better accuracy.

Another technique, frowned on by purists, is to fire the first shot DA as fast as you can crank through, with little attention to trying to get a hit, just fire in the general direction of your target, then get on target as with an SA gat, and try to get a hit with the second round.

If you are starting to think that all this is getting complicated, and that the KISS principle points more to a SA gun carried in Condition 1, well, I agree with you.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:37 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
Isn't .25 and .35 also pocket calibers, still made?

.22, .25, .32, .35, .380ACP... all small...
The ACP family of cartridges is .25, .32, .380, and .45. You can include the 38 ACP and the .38 Super if you want.

Most "38" and "380" are actually .356 to .358. I am not aware of any .35 pistol cartridge on the market at this time.

The .22 rimfire, you find most auto pistols and revolvers will shoot the .22 Long Rifle, you find a few small pistols chambered specifically for the .22 Short, like the Beretta Minx.

I have a Beretta Minx with the longer barrel, I think 3 or 3.5 inch, the one where the barrel extends a bit beyond the slide. It is amazingly accurate, can hit say 7 or 8 out of 10 bowling pins at 50 yards with it, if I am having a good day (Yards. Not feet.)

Old 03-19-2017, 06:06 PM

178 posts, read 173,769 times
Cant really recommend the 22 short. I was shot 3 times on 2 separate occasions decades back by a crazy girlfriend. Snub revolver. (second time was enough). Twice in the chest when I came home early and she thought I was an intruder. They only penetrated about an inch at about 12 feet and I pulled them out with some needle nose pliers and put a band aid on. I did almost pass out right afterwords from the shock but after a minute or so I was back to normal.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Cant really recommend the 22 short. I was shot 3 times on 2 separate occasions decades back by a crazy girlfriend. Snub revolver. (second time was enough). Twice in the chest when I came home early and she thought I was an intruder. They only penetrated about an inch at about 12 feet and I pulled them out with some needle nose pliers and put a band aid on. I did almost pass out right afterwords from the shock but after a minute or so I was back to normal.
Holy Crap! One would think you would dump the crazy girlfriend after she shoots you the first time!

Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Yeah, what was her excuse the second time? lol

Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IMHO a good time tested pocket gun is the two shot Derringer in .45 long Colt. Guaranteed fight stopper under 10 feet or so.

FWIW - I saw a double bbl. cap lock pistol in a the King Museum in .78 caliber. That is just about the show stopper of all time.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post

Dude, you'll need to start thinking about risk management...

Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 PM

51 posts, read 46,510 times
Get a S&W 642 or 442, put some hard cast wadcutters in it, and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting