Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this a logical interpretation of the Second Amendment?
Yes 22 78.57%
No 1 3.57%
Mixed (elaborate) 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:41 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times

Advertisements

Since Heller & McDonald confirmed that it is an INDIVIDUAL'S right to "keep" a firearm, how could the 9th Circus ignore the "bear" part? Were they thinking of Yogi & Boo-Boo?
Do they not understand what "shall not be infringed" means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 12:34 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
"Shall not be infringed" only applies to the Federal government, as explained here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/43957310-post11.html

The Federal constitution does not put any limitations on state government unless 1) the state-level application is explicitly stated in the constitution itself or 2) the courts have used the wording in the 14th amendment to recognize specific rights that must be recognized by the states.

The right to "keep" arms and "bear" them in private for the purpose of self defense was incorporated by Chicago v. D.C.. The right to "bear" arms in public for the purpose of self defense has not been incorporated as a full and inviolable right. Each right is separate. The first amendment alone took a half dozen court cases to finally get all of it covered.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:27 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore;44367664...
The right to "keep" arms and "bear" them in private for the purpose of self defense was incorporated by [B
Chicago v. D.C.[/b]. The right to "bear" arms in public for the purpose of self defense has not been incorporated as a full and inviolable right. Each right is separate. The first amendment alone took a half dozen court cases to finally get all of it covered.
Oops... I meant McDonald v. Chicago and Heller v. D.C.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:39 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I base this on the historical and social context of 18th century America - remember, all individual adult males in that time were required to join their state militia.

Overall, it is pretty clear to me that the Second Amendment preserves both an individual right to keep and bear arms as well as a collective right to self-defense for the People.

What do you all think?

Of course it is, and that's always been straightforward to me.

The Second Amendment asserts that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed--for the reasons you mentioned.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:01 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
I think that the OP has a sound interpretation.

I also believe that it was the intent of the Founding Fathers to clarify that the right to bear arms was for the purpose of armed rebellion in defense of freedoms should the need arise. The right to self defense and hunting were considered axiomatic, which is why they did not deem it necessary to mention.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
I do notice how liberals and courts like to use the quotes and writings of Jefferson to limit the seperation of church and state, but do not use his quotes and writings when it comes to the 2nd Amendment.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:35 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I do notice how liberals and courts like to use the quotes and writings of Jefferson to limit the seperation of church and state, but do not use his quotes and writings when it comes to the 2nd Amendment.
Jefferson did not, however, envision the Bill of Rights being pressed upon the States, and in fact it was not. The Supreme Court rebuffed such attempts for over half a century--not permitting any Amendment to be applied to the States until after the Civil War. Even since then, the Bill of Rights has been applied to the States in piecemeal, one at a time--and isn't fully applied even yet.

In fact, the 2nd Amendment was not actually applied to the states by the Supreme Court until a few years ago.

Until then, it would have been entirely constitutional for a state to adopt a weapons law exactly like Switzerland's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting