Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 10:04 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,011,585 times

Advertisements

We're in the midst of having a town home built for our family and my wife and I have been talking about security lately. We'll definitely be investing in a security system but we also feel it is important to have a gun or two in a safe place in case of a break in. Our new townhome will be in a nice development but it's in an up and coming area where crime, in the past, has been somewhat common so we want to be prepared. I've read on other forums that living in a townhome can pose a challange because you don't want the round going through the wall and injuring a neighbor. Any gun advice for this type of situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
There's excellent ammunition that has very little penetratration through walls. The first was the Glaser Safety Slug. Currently the best is Magsafe. They use tiny pellets that stick together until they reach a body or barrier. Then they break apart leading to real damage in flesh but seldom any to walls. For home defense in an urban area, the smaller shot is the better choice. The stuff was originally designed to be fired safely on commercial flights.

It's expensive, but you can use cheaper stuff to practice. It has an extra advantage: because of lower than normal bullet weight, felt recoil is greatly reduced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug

GLASER SAFETY SLUG

Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA

Old 04-30-2016, 11:51 AM

391 posts, read 290,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
We're in the midst of having a town home built for our family and my wife and I have been talking about security lately. We'll definitely be investing in a security system but we also feel it is important to have a gun or two in a safe place in case of a break in. Our new townhome will be in a nice development but it's in an up and coming area where crime, in the past, has been somewhat common so we want to be prepared. I've read on other forums that living in a townhome can pose a challange because you don't want the round going through the wall and injuring a neighbor. Any gun advice for this type of situation?
I'd say a shotgun... Mossberg 500 pump shotgun. Although most are now saying people should buy automatic shotguns since in stressful times, people might not cycle a pump shotgun all the way. In all my years, I've never not cycled a shotgun and caused a jam. Not that I won't do that, but I've not done it yet.

My thoughts on guns for home protection:

1. Shotgun
2. Glock 19
3. 357 revolver

It all depends on what you are after. If something goes bump in the night, my shotgun gets the nod. All I have to do (mostly) is shoot down the hall or general vicinity. Under stress and still trying to wake up, not sure how accurate I would be with a handgun. I belong to a range and practice all the time. I don't practice at 3 am right after I wake up.

I'm most accurate with my glock 19 than my two revolvers (I have a 442 38 and taurus 357 (with 4 inch barrel). The 357 is a handful but fun to shoot. The 38 is for backup.

357 is great if you don't want something complicated.

If you don't know guns, I recommend training along with the purchase. I also recommend going to the range at least once a month. If you don't want to pay for training or go to the range, get a revolver.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:04 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
To keep it simple, you could just get a side by side double barrel "coach gun" in 12 or 20 gauge. the barrel length of a "coach gun" is usually a little over 18 inches.
Yes, you will only have 2 shots, but that may be enough.
Yes, a 12 or 20 gauge pump with 18 inch barrel would be better.
There is something about the sound of a round being chambered in a pump or auto-loading shotgun that really gets a person's attention, even if they have never heard it before!

Old 04-30-2016, 02:33 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,334 times
I would vote for a shotgun and perhaps a revolver as well; check your State laws for less than lethal rounds, like soft rubber rounds, in some states, it is not illegal to own those rounds only to buy them from the dealer; if they are not illegal to own; if you have a friend that could buy it for you it could be worth your while; it will render an assailant incapacitated but will not kill. The only problem I see with a shotgun is the rounds that will do the most damage like 00 Buckshot; have the potential to go through walls as well; The rounds that most likely will not go through walls like bird shot; may not be enough to stop an
intruder.

Good luck in your search; also as indicated in what ever you get; please practice with it.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,011,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I would vote for a shotgun and perhaps a revolver as well; check your State laws for less than lethal rounds, like soft rubber rounds, in some states, it is not illegal to own those rounds only to buy them from the dealer; if they are not illegal to own; if you have a friend that could buy it for you it could be worth your while; it will render an assailant incapacitated but will not kill. The only problem I see with a shotgun is the rounds that will do the most damage like 00 Buckshot; have the potential to go through walls as well; The rounds that most likely will not go through walls like bird shot; may not be enough to stop an
intruder.

Good luck in your search; also as indicated in what ever you get; please practice with it.
I've been told a couple of times a shotgun would be a good choice, so I think sooner or later we'll get one. Having rounds that hurt an intruder enough to stop them but don't go through a wall will be important. I also think, as many have mentioned here, we should also get some kind of handgun/pistol that'll be more weildable. And yes, practicing will be crucial, as well as keeping it safe from our almost 1 yr old!!!

Old 04-30-2016, 06:28 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Keep in mind that EDUCATING your child about guns is as, if not more, important than keeping the guns hidden from him (or her).
Children who have "accidents" with firearms, more often than not, have had little or no education about guns, have never seen what a gun can do, and are not aware that they are not toys! THAT, IMO, is tantamount to child abuse!
If a child is old enough to walk, talk, and understand the concept of "NO!", he is old enough to be taught about guns. After all, YOU might keep your guns secured, but do you know if your neighbor has guns, and how they are secured (or not)? If the neighbors guns are not secured to your standards, how will your child know how to act if YOU have not taught him what he needs to know?
THINK about it!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:13 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,830,293 times
Don't overlook something like the Mossberg HS410. The once-overlooked 410 is a good choice for home defense because the are many defensive ammo choices available today.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:19 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,256,626 times
Don't miss and then it really will not matter what gun, but overkill might be a .357 or 44 mag, otherwise do not use ball ammo, use only hollow points and any average caliber should be okay.

A shotgun is a good choice but not with slugs, with #7 or 8 shot should be okay. 410 is also a good choice...

Old 05-01-2016, 11:03 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,182,366 times
Not so sure that a shotgun is your best choice.

I assume you have children ("our family")? Foremost in your mind should be how you are going to keep this weapon so that it is both safe from curious minors, and accessible in case of an emergency. A shotgun requires a large safe. And, when you hear that bump and crash in the night, you will have to make your way to your gun safe and open it, after having woken from a sound sleep (get a safe that goes with the bedroom furniture?). The adrenaline that you will be experiencing is not going to help you function efficiently and smoothly. Then you will have to maneuver the long barrel around doorways.

A handgun is easier to store safely in a small lockbox besides or under the bed. Some are made to open with the push of buttons that you can easily identify in the dark. You can keep it pointed down or in a close range firing position next to your ribs as you make your way around the house, which makes it less likely to get grabbed by a burglar.

Most importantly, any experienced shooter will tell you that the odds of you using this weapon effectively depend on how often you practice with it. A handgun is better, because it is much less punishing to practice with -- does you wife shoot or is she interested in learning? -- and because practice ammo is cheaper. Also, shooting any firearm indoors with no ear protection may deafen you, but a shotgun is louder than a .38 or a .45, and more likely to do permanent damage.

A shotgun or rifle is best if you own acreage and there is a chance that you will have to engage someone outdoors. You have a townhome, and a handgun is best for protection inside the home.

Whatever you get, I suggest an occasional dry run. Let your wife know you'll be setting the alarm for 3:00 am, then get up and go thru the motions of clearing you house. You will learn a lot. Good luck and be safe.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 05-01-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting