Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,129,353 times

Advertisements

Generally the .22 tends to drift a lot in wind, high speed is actually worse than standard velocity, because wind drift is related to "delay time", the difference in actual time of flight compared to flight in a vacuum where the bullet would maintain muzzle velocity (I have read this and never worked through the math to really understand it).

If the bad groups were due to wind, you would have mostly horizontal stringing, rather than vertical or a big but round group.

The .22 rifles that "drive tacks at 250 yards" would be center-fire rounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:40 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,702,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I usually shoot my 10/22 at 50 yards with excellent grouping, extremely accurate. Shot the .22 at 100 yards yesterday for the first time on a windy day. Yikes! Extreme bullet drop as my sights were zeroed at 50 yards, hitting the grass 25 yards past the target. Once I got my scope back to hitting paper my groupings were terrible, maybe because of the wind, and bullets were still hitting the ground maybe 50 or 75 yards past the target.

I love the internet, go on some of the internet sights and they are all like "yeah mine is a tack driver at 250 yards". Riiigghhhtttt. Think I will stick with 50 yards for my .22, or try again on a less windy day.
See if any of the gun clubs in your location shoot small-bore silhouette. Little bitty targets shot at out to 100 meters. It's a fun game, and it will really teach how to shoot offhand. You can shoot it with any .22 lr you want to use, but the 10/22 (while a great gun) doesn't generally do too well. Most people tend towards target style bolt actions.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:11 PM

19,823 posts, read 22,721,802 times
My old Winchester 75 target shoots the day lights out of prairie dogs at 75-100yards. Super accurate golden oldie..

Old 04-11-2017, 06:29 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
See if any of the gun clubs in your location shoot small-bore silhouette. Little bitty targets shot at out to 100 meters. It's a fun game, and it will really teach how to shoot offhand. You can shoot it with any .22 lr you want to use, but the 10/22 (while a great gun) doesn't generally do too well. Most people tend towards target style bolt actions.
My gun range has Appleseed clinics, I understand most of the attendees use 10/22s. Thinking about attending one, but a 2 day course...that's a lot of time.

I go bench shooting quite a bit and have some higher caliber bolt guns dedicated to long range, combined with shooting bags, I enjoy milsurp so I got a selection for whatever I want to shoot that day. My swiss K31 just cuts right through the wind and theoretically is good for 600 yards with extreme accuracy...or farther. But my range does have a 600 yard portion that I have yet to use.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My old Winchester 75 target shoots the day lights out of prairie dogs at 75-100yards. Super accurate golden oldie..
What a classic gun. My buddy (former MT state small-bore champ) has a couple of those, and they sometimes come out to play. The prairie dogs don't like it one bit.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
My gun range has Appleseed clinics, I understand most of the attendees use 10/22s. Thinking about attending one, but a 2 day course...that's a lot of time.

I go bench shooting quite a bit and have some higher caliber bolt guns dedicated to long range, combined with shooting bags, I enjoy milsurp so I got a selection for whatever I want to shoot that day. My swiss K31 just cuts right through the wind and theoretically is good for 600 yards with extreme accuracy...or farther. But my range does have a 600 yard portion that I have yet to use.
Appleseed clinics are great, I highly recommend them. Another very good way to learn to shoot well.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:55 PM

136 posts, read 129,932 times
.22's are accurate to about 50 yards max. The cartridge is just not designed for long range accuracy. The bullets have a poor ballistic coefficient which makes them awful at overcoming wind resistance.

I also love people's claims of rifle accuracy on the internet. "My ___ rifle will shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards 'all day long'". No, it wont. People shoot groups of 3 and get a fluke tight grouping, then call it a day and claim their rifle is like a laser. Ask them to repeat it and you'l never see that group again.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
.22's are accurate to about 50 yards max. The cartridge is just not designed for long range accuracy. The bullets have a poor ballistic coefficient which makes them awful at overcoming wind resistance.

I also love people's claims of rifle accuracy on the internet. "My ___ rifle will shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards 'all day long'". No, it wont. People shoot groups of 3 and get a fluke tight grouping, then call it a day and claim their rifle is like a laser. Ask them to repeat it and you'l never see that group again.
I routinely shoot prairie dogs from my kitchen window out into the field at 75-100 yards with match grade lead head ammo. Sitting at the window, 12" sill, long sandbag. I only shoot Winchester target .22's- that is all that old gun ever sees.

But you are correct- if the wind is blowing it do require a little Kentucky windage, lol.

It makes a cool sound when hitting a PD too.. Kinda like a 'wump' sound

Old 04-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
Go to a small-bore silhouette match and you will see how wrong you are. 100 meter shots are routine.

Quote:
You need to get out more. Plenty of people have rifles that will do that. That you may not have experienced it with your own rifles and your own shooting doesn't change that.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 PM

It's more accurate than my old Colt HBAR AR-15 and my current franken AR-15. It's only match in my safe is a Mauser built .257 AI.

Those old Winchesters can flat a$$ shoot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting