Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times

Advertisements

Another thing about having a shotgun most people don’t think about, is take a training class, on how to reload, clear jams, and shoot from different positions & from behind covers.

Specifically take a “tactical” shotgun training and not clay or competitive shooting. There maybe a possibility that bad guy(s) will shoot back or you face multiple intruders. Shotgun has limited rounds so you must keep feeding ammo during the fight. You may need to change ammo type from buckshot to slugs, or to bird shots, and vice versa. Learn how to do that during a gunfight.

Those who think you don’t need to aim with a shotgun are sadly mistaken. A 00 buckshot at 25 yards has the spread of the size of my hand, and even smaller spread indoors at closer distance. You will miss if you don’t aim.

Know how to shoulder a shotgun correctly can reduce much of the “felt” recoil and keep the muzzle pointing at the target instead of the ceiling. This gives you a faster follow up shots.

Speaking of penetration, Paul Harrell has a YouTube video demonstrating a 00 buckshot can penetrate 2 interior walls plus an exterior wall. The apartment wall between units are just interior wall, sometimes with little to no sound proofs, so there’ Nothing holding the buckshots back. The #4 buck is what he recommended but it will still go through 2 interior walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

#1.........(snip). Shotgun has limited rounds so you must keep feeding ammo during the fight.

#2........(snip)...Those who think you don’t need to aim with a shotgun are sadly mistaken. A 00 buckshot at 25 yards has the spread of the size of my hand, and even smaller spread indoors at closer distance. You will miss if you don’t aim.

#3..........(snip)now how to shoulder a shotgun correctly can reduce much of the “felt” recoil and keep the muzzle pointing at the target instead of the ceiling. This gives you a faster follow up shots.

Speaking of penetration, .
NOTE.......I'm using a Smart Phone with no Java Script,, so pls forgive formatting and other peculiarities.
Following are my thoughts and opinions......the thoughts and opinions of others are respected and welcome.

IMO, The geographical location of the residence.....rural setting vs city neighborhood. the type of residence....cabin type vs 2 story........living alone vs other family members present......All these factors will determine what you load the magazine with.

#1,... this is true, However, my Mdl 12 Win, 12 ga w/ an 18 inch barrel and fitted w/ a SREADER Choke Tube, has 6 in the mag and 1 in the chamber......most revolvers in suitable calibers for home defense are 6 rounds.

#2,.... if the stock fits one correctly, the shot gun should be pointing correctly at slightly above center mass when shouldered by reflex action....My Mdl 12 w/ #4 buck at 15 feet has a pattern spread of 12 to 13 inches.

#3.....up to about 1963 or so,approx 85 % of all Mdl 12 shotguns were mfg with the "trigger disconnect" which allowed one to fire the gun as fast as you could work the pump action while holding the trigger back......With practice, some guys are able to fire all 7 rounds faster than when using a semi auto.

Re Penetration: ......... My personal choice (considering a home defense situation in MY home--15 feet to 60 feet---, ...would be to have #4 buck in chamber, ...followed up with #2 buck and then followed up w/ #00 buck, and then a slug last....... Being alone, I could care less about penetrating walls, doors or whatever......YMMV.......

As an optional choice,....I have a Walther P99 AS in 9mm, equipped w/ a Streamlight green laser/800 lumens light........it sets on my nighstand just 12 inches from the edge of my pillow.
......."Better to be prepared and never have to use either one------than to need one or the other and not have them"!!!!

Last edited by Montana Griz; 05-16-2018 at 11:26 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 04:53 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
To be honest, this is strictly my opinion shotguns are great for home defense but I think the absolute best weapon is an AR15 or similar. Light, easy to manuever, low recoil, easy follow up shots, depending on ammo it will start to tumble and break up after hitting 2 layers of drywall.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:19 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not an apartment dweller, but, from what I have read, actually #4 buck is more effective than 00, because you have more pellets.

Inside an apartment, probably ordinary bird shot is fine. 8, 7.5, or 6, I don't think it would matter much

I picked up some Aquila short shot shells for the 12, these have a few 00 and a few #4 buck pellets, a very abbreviated wad column, and I am not certain how hot they are loaded, have not tried them yet.
Went with the 7.5 birdshot.......feel comfortable with that.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:29 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
If you are using a shotgun in a self defense situation in an apartment it will likely be a distance less than 10ft. A shell of bureau of that close would ruin someone's day.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:08 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Wow that’s pretty small stuff. I hunt grouse with 20ga 3” #6, early season pheasant same thing, then I move to #5 or 4 as the season goes on.

Mallards are #2 and #3 12ga, and geese #2, 1 or or BB.

I don’t think I would use anything less than #2 for home defense. I stick with 00 buck, personally.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:45 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Wow that’s pretty small stuff. I hunt grouse with 20ga 3” #6, early season pheasant same thing, then I move to #5 or 4 as the season goes on.

Mallards are #2 and #3 12ga, and geese #2, 1 or or BB.

I don’t think I would use anything less than #2 for home defense. I stick with 00 buck, personally.
I hear yah, but I would be within 5-10 feet of a bad guy in my apartment......think that bird shot would stop 'em. If not, the M&P .45 I usually have by the bed will take care of it. Either way, I'll win the day.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I hear yah, but I would be within 5-10 feet of a bad guy in my apartment......think that bird shot would stop 'em. If not, the M&P .45 I usually have by the bed will take care of it. Either way, I'll win the day.
I personally don’t think it will. That size is for quail or partridge, very small thin skin. Heavy clothing will absorb a lot. Go to brass fetcher the website and check out their tests. You may change your mind.

They have penetrating videos on drywall and lumber with various shot sizes too.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:43 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I personally don’t think it will. That size is for quail or partridge, very small thin skin. Heavy clothing will absorb a lot. Go to brass fetcher the website and check out their tests. You may change your mind.

They have penetrating videos on drywall and lumber with various shot sizes too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc

Old 05-19-2018, 07:11 AM

Brassfetcher article on defensive shotguns.

Shotguns

Quote:
If you are certain that the distance will not exceed 10 yards, then I recommend #4 buckshot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting