Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:50 PM

806 posts, read 877,462 times

Advertisements

What's the point of owning a reproduction ? I never understood that ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 07:46 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
What's the point of owning a reproduction ? I never understood that ....
In the case of say a Thompson... why dump 10s of thousands for the real deal when you can pick up a semi auto reproduction for 1500?

Yeah it's not the real Mccoy... but it puts one in your hands be it pistol or carbine...

Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
In the case of say a Thompson... why dump 10s of thousands for the real deal when you can pick up a semi auto reproduction for 1500?

Yeah it's not the real Mccoy... but it puts one in your hands be it pistol or carbine...
Seriously , it's still a repro . NOTHING authentic about it . Semi auto wanna be . No thanks .

Old 07-18-2017, 11:00 AM

448 posts, read 366,093 times
Quote:
Seriously , it's still a repro . NOTHING authentic about it . Semi auto wanna be . No thanks .
You can not paint all repros with the same brush. If your talking about a M1 Carbine then I agree. Why pay 700 when you can get a been there for 850. But if your talking about a Lemat or Griswold and can not afford or even in many cases find one and if you do they run in the 20,000 on up then a repro lets you shoot a gun you can not afford and they make great wall hangers. If a wall hanger is not your thing thats fine but I like to see guns on my fireplace. I have a Henry repro. Would I like a real Henry, sure but I am not gong to put out 70k for a gun I would not dare shoot. I have a nice repro by Cimmeron and it shoots 45lc I reload. Same for a SAA Colt. A first Gen. SAA will set you back several thousand dollars or more. A Ruger repro Vaquaro is around 500.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:35 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Ok and do you feel like spending big bucks and waiting for a class 3 weapon transaction???

OR would you rather go down to your local gun store and have something close to the real deal if even only for appearance sake, and be able to use?

It's like when Dynacorn came out with reproduction Mustang chevelle 57 chevy bel air bodies. You had elitists cry foul same mentality why not restore one!?
Uh... why spend 40k on body work, when for 18k I can get brand new steel? Then just a matter of obtaining Vin tags from a rot box sitting in a field swamp or back yard...

Puts a car that Jackasses with more money than brains pay 6 figures for at Barret Jackson driving up the price year after year. Why buy the real deal, to have it sit to retain value when I can build a repro and have it built the same specs or better and not worry about diminished value? Perhaps I want a pro touring 57 Belair or chevelle why would I want to cut up an original car? Or sink 1000s to fix the body and box the frame in, when I can spend less and just order an art Morrison chassis and a Dynacorn body for a total of 30-40k and drop a modern LS in on some fancy SSBC/Brembo brakes 18s/20s air ride suspension system, etc...

Old 07-22-2017, 12:55 PM

OK , we're not talking about cars . As far as a repro firearm , if you get a thrill shooting a repro and fantasizing about the real thing , knock yourself out . And I'm not going to display a fake and constantly have to answer the question " is that a real machine gun , etc .." . Zero interest in a fake . Different strokes and all that .

Old 07-22-2017, 01:00 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Back in the 90's after the Berlin Wall came down, and we started getting all the Combloc, surplus guns in the U.S. gun shows were a great deal. I bought several Russian SKS's, E. German, Russian, and Bulgarian Makarovs, and other surplus guns for CHEAP! Now, I just don't see the value of gun shows, and everything seems overpriced with little room to negotiate.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:47 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,613 times
I like to tell people that going to a gun show is like going to a museum where you can actually touch and hold the artifacts. Plus you can have a conversation with someone who knows about the guns. I agree that I have been put off by the thought of paying the rising entrance fees. I live in New Hampshire and if I go to a show in bordering Mass. I can't even buy ammo!
I tell my wife I am going to check out the current prices on the guns I already own.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:02 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Not just the entrance fees, the parking fees to. No thanks. Nothing I can't get online or local.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:23 PM

It's been a few years since I've been to one . The closest one's to me are about an hour and want $10 bucks or so to get in . Nope . Not happening .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting