Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 17,226,594 times

Advertisements

Shooting an Ar 15 is a fun hobby but it can be expensive with the cost of ammo so I wonder who actually uses bump stocks?
I have seen guys at the range who can shoot very fast without such an attachment.
In my mind bump stocks are a waste of ammo but to each their own and I certainly wouldn't tell someone that they do not have the right to own one but after what happened in Vegas even the NRA seems to be onboard with limiting or outright banning of the bump stock.

I might have to agree with the NRA on this one but will the gun grabbing Left be happy with that concession because we all know if we give them an inch they will try and take a mile.

How do you feel about a ban on these bump stocks?
Do you own one or have used one and would you mind if they became outlawed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 10:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
I've never used them but from what I read, and I am a member of several gun forums such as AR.com, they are pretty much worthless range toys and are not highly regarded in the gun community - not accurate and subject to malfunction. Look what the LV nut had to do to make them practical - tripod, optics, forward grips, high capacity surefire mags, maybe muzzle brakes, and multiple long rifles which certainly he used to replace his other weapons when the inevitable jamming that likely occurred.

I don't have any problem with legislation on bump stocks, as totally worthless as such "feel good" legislation would be. Throw them a bone to make these idiots happy. My only fear is if you give them an inch then they try to take a yard.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,794 times
The concern of some is that if there is regulation needed, the regulation should come from ATF and not Congress. If a bill should make it through Congress (that looks likely), there is no telling what riders would be put on it. The pro-gun people (there might be at least one Dem who's pro-gun :-) would be hard pressed at this time to not vote for a bill banning or regulating bump stocks which would mean the riders might be pushed through also. Those riders could include many of the things we would not like to see pushed through, hi-cap mag bans, no pistol grips, muzzle brakes, basically the return of the "assault weapons" ban.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:29 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalomountain View Post
What do we give as a bone next time? They are not usless and they do not malfunction. They just work. When I bought mine I thought the same thing. Took it to the range and it just works. Does it waste ammo sure it does. Any kind of full auto wastes ammo. But that is the point. This guy did not go to vegas to target a specific person he went to create terror. If your goal is to shoot into a crowd of people then as fast as you can lay down fire works. No they are not "accurate" but they are not supposed to be. The US got rid of the M16A1 and went to the A2 that has 3 shot burst because GIs were just spraying ammo. I only bought one because it was fun to dump a mag or two at the range. Once that was done it came off and I do not really intend to use it. I am thinking about selling it because of the 1500 bucks these are bringing. What if they make them illegal and no grandfather. I have to turn it in and get jack. The big issue is not bump fire but why. And the brother of this guy knows way more than he is telling. This looks to me to be a left wing terrorist attack.
OK, that's what I was on about my reluctance: "give an inch and they take a yard"
Reliability? I just go by what I read.
I know about the burst fire change in Army M16s, I'm into C&R military weapons (just acquired an M16A1 with everything original Colt except lower receiver).

Curious - Can you shoulder fire weapons with a bump stock (i.e in burst mode)? Can you easily burst fire them?

Old 10-06-2017, 02:27 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I was in the Army when the M-16 came out. I hated it. the bolt caked up and jammed, and it was nearly impossible to get really clean. If an inspecting officer had it in for you, all he had to do was allow the bolt to slam shut, and crud magically appeared in the bolt well and chamber, no matter how well you employed the "cleaning brush". So, I do not own and do not want an AR-15.
In all honesty, I would much rather have a WWII or Korean issue M-1 Carbine than any AR-15 variant. It is, IMO, just as much fun to shoot, and there is a revolver available that is chambered for the Carbine cartridge.
No, I do not have a bump fire stock, and I do not want one. However, I also do not want to see them banned. For one thing, confiscation without compensation is Un-Constitutional, and we (the taxpayers) can not afford to pay fair market value for every one of the things that would have to be taken under an outright ban!

Old 10-06-2017, 03:17 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
I always looked on the Bump Stocks as a toy. I never had any real use for one.

My best friend when he was still alive, he had a very fast trigger finger, he could empty a 8 shot semi-auto Benelli M1 12 gauge loaded with buck shot in under 2 seconds. When I would be with him, I would swear he had only fired 4 shots, and the tube was already empty.

In fact I think he had all 8 shots fired, while the first spent shell casing was still in the air.

My Friend Carl was never in favor of full auto, it wastes too much ammo. Carl would always say, you can have much better fire suppression with just a few shots on semi-auto. Plus you were always more accurate.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:07 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
As an NRA Life Member, I have no problem with them passing legislation or whatever. As others have pointed out, you don't need a bump stock to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKI9S5qT5IA

How would they ban this?

Old 10-06-2017, 05:06 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I figure if I need a full automatic gun it had better be belt fed.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:56 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I figure if I need a full automatic gun it had better be belt fed.

Twin MA Deuce's would be very nice

Not that I could ever afford to feed those monsters, but it still would be nice.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I remember a guy that used to frequent the club many years ago and he claimed to be a body guard. I don't know about that but boy could he shoot his semi auto. I think it was a 9mm. He used to practice in all sorts of positions including laying upside down and he would say that he would use that position if all that was available for cover was curb.
Anyways he could shoot his handgun like it was a full auto. He said the idea was to fire off in a burst and the sound of a full auto got most people to get down allowing his people to escape.

He taught me how to do this with my 22 Ruger target pistol and it is pretty cool.

It seems that even if the bump stock is banned there are plenty of other ways to spray lots of bullets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting