Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times

Advertisements

I now put mine in the center console. My Glock 19 won't fit the console very well, it's just a bit big. For now, I'll do that..but I see gun magnets and other ways to attach it inside the car. I'd love some input on them. Not sure I want to go drilling holes in the interior of my car. I'm also leery of how well a stick on magnet would hold a fully loaded glock 19 with a 15+1 mag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:35 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
I just keep it in my holster on my belt unless it's a long trip and it starts digging in your ribs, then I might take out and put in center console. Works well if you have a detachable holster so you can keep it in the holster.

The important point is not to LEAVE it in your car unattended, for what should be obvious reasons.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:58 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I just keep it in my holster on my belt unless it's a long trip and it starts digging in your ribs, then I might take out and put in center console. Works well if you have a detachable holster so you can keep it in the holster.

The important point is not to LEAVE it in your car unattended, for what should be obvious reasons.
I get that. And yes---there are times when it must be left in the car when one enters a gun free zone. At that point, it's hidden under a seat or in a center console, with doors locked.

My issue is that my Glock 19 is just big enough that there isn't a simple place to put it in my car. And I'm getting ready to go on trip to a place 9 hours away by car in a few weeks, so I'm just thinking ahead.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:56 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I get that. And yes---there are times when it must be left in the car when one enters a gun free zone. At that point, it's hidden under a seat or in a center console, with doors locked.

My issue is that my Glock 19 is just big enough that there isn't a simple place to put it in my car. And I'm getting ready to go on trip to a place 9 hours away by car in a few weeks, so I'm just thinking ahead.
Don't overthink it. You can buy accessories that attach between the seat or the center panel or the door panels, they sell fancy storage options on on the market, but really why spend the money? - It's like a wallet or cell phone, just shove it in somewhere easily accessable and shove something next to it so it doesn't bounce around or knocked over, keeping safety in mind of course as well. Gotta be somewhere - glove compartment, cup holder?

Not to beat the subject to death but I have a car safe for when I have to leave it in the car for even a few minutes. Safe is under the seat secured to frame. I purchased it for the sole purpose of when I have to enter gun free zones. Smash and grab car burglaries are the number one source for stolen weapons. Glove compartment or under seat is not good enough.
This was a topic a few months ago and we actually had one knucklehead that thought nothing of leaving handgun in a car, not for a few minutes, but overnight on the street. Locked or not, safe neighborhood or not, that's just stupid.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:32 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I now put mine in the center console. My Glock 19 won't fit the console very well, it's just a bit big. For now, I'll do that..but I see gun magnets and other ways to attach it inside the car. I'd love some input on them. Not sure I want to go drilling holes in the interior of my car. I'm also leery of how well a stick on magnet would hold a fully loaded glock 19 with a 15+1 mag.

Years ago I was leery of keeping a gun stored in a car, I have already had my car at my parents old house, and had my wife's cars had someone go through it in our driveway. No firearm was stolen so that is a good thing.

As to a magnet, at least 4 years ago, I bought a single magnet one that is designed to hold a firearm mounted even upside down on a desk. I mounted it on my desk in office at home, and mounted a Browning High-Power for a year or two, I have a Beretta 92F currently mounted their, 15+1 no issues.

That might not be my first choice for a car, but yes their are magnets that support the weight of a Glock, since it is a magnet, you would obviously have to have the magnet attached to the slide. You would need metal to hold it.

Hope this helps

Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
I keep my pistol on my person at all times. I prefer the crossdraw carry, which is perfect for when you're seated in a vehicle. A pistol in the console does you no good if you're outside your vehicle, even for a moment. For those rare occasions that I can't take my pistol with me, like a courthouse, I store it in the lockbox that each of my vehicles has.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:04 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Magnets are an auto no-go IMO. While they may hold the gun at rest or at normal motions, I don't believe for a moment that they'll hold the gun through a minor crash or even an emergency stop.

I'd like to say that I always put my gun into a safe bolted to the frame when I dash into a no-gun store, but, no, I don't. But I don't leave it there for any extensive amount of time, and I don't have a vehicle that would be anyone's first choice to break into.

I've thought about having some specific gun-holding device in the car for long trips, but I've decided that the laws for "gun in the car" differ enough to make it a possible trip to jail if I forget to change it when I cross the state line.

So, generally, it's going to be in my waistband holster.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-14-2018 at 07:30 AM..

Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
I don't dash into no-gun stores as a rule, but if I do, my pistol is in my pocket anyway.. Solves that problem.

Seriously though, most of my EDC is an LCP which is either in my pocket or in the little dashboard compartment under the radio (Honda Accord) where it fits perfectly in its Desantis Nemesis holster. The compartment has a snap-closing cover.

Same thing for road trips, but with the addition of my Ruger SP101 .357 that rides in the console. When stopped for the night both of them go into the hotel with me. I never leave guns in my vehicles overnight or if it is out of my sight.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:27 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
Keep it appendix.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:36 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I don't dash into no-gun stores as a rule, but if I do, my pistol is in my pocket anyway.. Solves that problem.

Seriously though, most of my EDC is an LCP which is either in my pocket or in the little dashboard compartment under the radio (Honda Accord) where it fits perfectly in its Desantis Nemesis holster. The compartment has a snap-closing cover.

Same thing for road trips, but with the addition of my Ruger SP101 .357 that rides in the console. When stopped for the night both of them go into the hotel with me. I never leave guns in my vehicles overnight or if it is out of my sight.
Well, I might ignore the sign sometimes around here, but you never heard me say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting