Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocopico View Post
Short Barrel SBS if you want to get a stamp other wise 16 inch with pistol grip, 1.75 inch buck shot short shells with the proper block to ensure feeding.
Why invest the $200 for a stamped Short Barrel shotgun (SBS) when you can get a 14" firearm with arm brace with no stamp and no wait?

Remington now offers both an arm brace model and the new semi-auto Tac-13, and Mossberg has a mag-fed model of their original Shockwave edition.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:22 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Hello,

May I please have your recommendation for a shotgun for home defense?

I have shot a guns before and currently have a S&W 9mm M&P I use for home defense, but I want a shotgun as well.

I do not have small kids at home and I 39 years old and weigh about 175Lbs.

My Budget is $300.

I would like a pump action with the ability to add a light (tactical if needed) to see the intruder at night.

Question:
1. Do all pump action shotguns have the same recoil?

Thank you,

Mine is a Mossberg 930 auto. It's been a good choice. Only thing quirky about it is that it wants full house loads otherwise it doesn't eject reliably. Can't use inexpensive light weight trap loads with it.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:51 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
vinnyfl,

Let's keep thus very simple everyone.

All the normal person like myself need to know is 3 things

1. Which ammo to put in my 9mm , 12 gauge shot down, or ar15 that reduces risk of going through multiple sheet rock and leaving my house and damaging my neighbor stuff or killing them if miss shooting the intruder?

That's honestly all I need to know. Just 3 answers please. Very simple

Make your own, no problem.
Rock salt. Stuns intruder, hurts like hell, does not put nice several feet large holes in walls.
Or, bean bags. The non lethal ammo.

Seriously. Shot gun for in home defense? I just imagined insurance adjuster walking through the battlefield after "self defense" with raised eyebrows and Hmmmm not leaving his lips. Besides dead or hurt neighbors and following law suits....

Old 04-25-2019, 01:45 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,261,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Rock salt. Stuns intruder, hurts like hell, does not put nice several feet large holes in walls.

Seriously. Shot gun for in home defense? I just imagined insurance adjuster walking through the battlefield after "self defense" with raised eyebrows and Hmmmm not leaving his lips. Besides dead or hurt neighbors and following law suits....
There is a school of thought that says that rock salt is a bad idea for self defense as it may deter an "average" thief, the lack of consistent lethalality/stopping power beyond 10 yards might get you into trouble if there is some doped out crackhead coming at you, esp if you haven't taken the time to train on using the pump quickly and effectively to be ready to fire again, quickly. Of course there is also a tradeoff vs having #00 buck tearing through drywall so of course, YYMV. One could always resort to the ole "first one/two rounds with rock salt, #00 after that".

As for beanbags, I don't know, I've seen a ton of videos where LEO uses them against folks and it either doesn't affect them, or it takes several hits to be effective (not all the time, but more often than I'd like if I was by myself and that was my only means of defense).

Old 04-25-2019, 08:00 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Hollow points for pistols and 00 buckshot for shotguns. Break into my house and I'm looking to neutralize the threat, not annoy it. I want the odds in my favor, not the criminal's.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:20 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
There is a school of thought that says that rock salt is a bad idea for self defense as it may deter an "average" thief, the lack of consistent lethalality/stopping power beyond 10 yards might get you into trouble if there is some doped out crackhead coming at you, esp if you haven't taken the time to train on using the pump quickly and effectively to be ready to fire again, quickly. Of course there is also a tradeoff vs having #00 buck tearing through drywall so of course, YYMV. One could always resort to the ole "first one/two rounds with rock salt, #00 after that".

As for beanbags, I don't know, I've seen a ton of videos where LEO uses them against folks and it either doesn't affect them, or it takes several hits to be effective (not all the time, but more often than I'd like if I was by myself and that was my only means of defense).

I use #4 buckshot. Or BB. I have a stash of Win SXT buck n ball (slug with 4 00 buck pellets) that have proved very...effective..in testing and of course I have 00 buck on hand. But 5 3inch #4s are plenty. Since the place I was defending when I got my 930 had a LOT of space around it the shotgun was an outside the house gun. Its primary duty was against marauding coyotes and feral dogs and with #4 or #2 it would handily drop them out to 50 yards needs be. Pretty impressive for an 18 inch barreled cylinder bore.

But I've never had it out as a primary inside the house gun. It's serious overkill. Like I mentioned earlier it need full house loads to function properly an the full power #4s or #2 I run in it would indeed make a mess inside the house. I can't even imagine what the buck n ball or 00 buck would do. A shotgun is not an improper choice for home defense but I recommend lots of practice. You want to place your shots on target. That's not hard at house distances but s*** does happen.

That's one reason I use smaller shot in case I do have to use it in the house. Over penetration isn't near so much of a factor and #4 or 2 perform quite admirably in the terminal performance ring. Just my personal experience.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:07 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
The analogy of prep for home invasion with homeowners insurance is a false equivalency. The latter is required by law with home ownership. If it weren't, many people might not get it. Same with car insurance. As I said, I'm fine with you prepping for it, but you should admit that it isn't rational and is essentially fear-based. Or macho-based.
Car insurance was not always mandatory. Ohio did not make car insurance mandatory until the mid-1980s. So why did most Ohio drivers have car insurance?

Old 04-26-2019, 02:40 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Questions:

3: The odds of killing someone at home defense distances are much higher with a shotgun than with a pistol or even a rifle. How does your state treat killing someone in your home? Shoot someone close range with a shotgun, and in some states you are going to be up for murder, or if they don't die but are permanently seriously damaged such as can happen with a shot gun, you may be charged with attempted murder.

And if you don't shoot the intruder who is at close range in your home you will probably be listed in the obituaries of your local newspaper several days later.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:50 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
[mod note] Okay, this has gone on long enough. By way of a reminder, this is a "Hobbies and Recreation" forum. We try to limit discussion of killing fellow humans. This thread is now closed to further contributions. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting