Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 PM

603 posts, read 442,904 times

Advertisements

It’s a serialized drop in sear that could be used ( with a class 3 tax stamp) to allow a AR to become a registered full auto.
Good example would be this ...
https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...nfa-registered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 12:25 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
It’s a serialized drop in sear that could be used ( with a class 3 tax stamp) to allow a AR to become a registered full auto.
Good example would be this ...
https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...nfa-registered
There’s no such thing as a “class 3 tax stamp.”

Furthermore, a legally owned DIAS doesn’t allow an AR to “become” a registered full auto. The DIAS IS the weapon. Nothing about the host weapon has changed.

People that don’t really understand firearms laws/rules/requirements should refrain from making posts that appear to come from a position of authority. It confuses those that are simply trying to learn.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 AM

I don’t know what practical part ( as opposed to technical pedantry) of my answer is incorrect. Yes technically the sear is the serialized weapon. Yes technically there is no such thing as a class 3 tax stamp ...a tax stamp is a tax stamp. However effectively putting a DIAS into a lower is the most effective and simplest way to turn a modern AR into a working machine gun in your technical jargon a NFA TITLE 2 firearm.The sear might be the weapon legally but it certainly won’t fire a single round without a actual weapon to put it into... the NFA is full of rubbish like this that practically serves no purposeful meaning. I have had title 2 weapons for over 30 years, I have a trust and have had zero issues following the law.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I don’t know what practical part ( as opposed to technical pedantry) of my answer is incorrect. Yes technically the sear is the serialized weapon. Yes technically there is no such thing as a class 3 tax stamp ...a tax stamp is a tax stamp. However effectively putting a DIAS into a lower is the most effective and simplest way to turn a modern AR into a working machine gun in your technical jargon a NFA TITLE 2 firearm.
Nope. A lightning link is simpler, as it doesn't require any other full auto fire control parts.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Nope. A lightning link is simpler, as it doesn't require any other full auto fire control parts.
Gosh you don’t see many of those about anymore....

Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM

625 posts, read 792,187 times
Quote:
Gosh you don’t see many of those about anymore....

You are correct for two reasons one when new they sold for 100 bucks and many shops got them free from distributors and would give you one ( you had to pay for the stamp ) for free if you bought a ar. My local guy had a jar on them in the little sealed bags because nobody wanted to pay the 200$ for the stamp ( if I knew then what I know now I would have bought all of them ) and because the NRA told Reagan to FOPA with Hughes attached today a LL will run you about 15,000.

Reason 2 most of them are fragile KNS cam out with a "stiffener" for them any years ago to reinforce them but they tend to snap. As it is illegal to replace MG that leaves having it repaired and their are not allot of people who can do them well.

A DIAS on the other hand is like a tank an the "trip" and spring are not the serialized part so they can be replaced at any time.

This is a LL that snapped sent to a 07/02 to be repaired. FYI it is a LEGAL transferable link..

co3 chemical name

Old 01-22-2019, 05:17 AM

This is all so interesting...just a note on DIAS ...in your experience if I wanted to do a two stamp SPR build would you if you had the option get a DIAS or just build out a full lower? I’ve got options for both. The ridiculous situation with NFA weapons is driving me nuts

Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
This is all so interesting...just a note on DIAS ...in your experience if I wanted to do a two stamp SPR build would you if you had the option get a DIAS or just build out a full lower? I’ve got options for both. The ridiculous situation with NFA weapons is driving me nuts
If you have a F/A lower that is currently in the Registry, it's a no brainer - you use the F/A lower. If your F/A lower isn't currently in the Registry (and that's what it sounds like given your question), it's contraband with no way to make it legal.

A DIAS is generally preferred to a F/A lower.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 PM

625 posts, read 792,187 times
Quote:

The Hughes amendment Reagan signed in 1986 outlawed all new machine guns. So if you want a full auto lower you have to buy one stamped or submitted prior to May of 1986. You can not make or buy a new one. This is why the current price for a m16 is around 25 grand.

The same law applies to a DIAS however the DIAS is the machine gun so a stamped DIAS may be used in any ar15 you own. Of course many modern lowers do not have the rear milled out and to use a DIAS you need to have that area milled out so the DIAS will drop in. These run around 20 grand currently.

Here is a pic on one of my M16's to shot the rear pocket. Look where the auto sear is and the area between ti and the rear take down pin. Unlike most post 86 lower this are is open to allow space for the auto sear to move.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:18 PM

Yeah I’ve got a registered colt F/A lower (currently is a 16” but not really happy with it ) and a registered DIAS that isn’t installed that I actually bought at auction fairly recently. What I essentially want to do is build a new F/A rig using the new Giessle uppers with a DD barrel. I’m just not sure which one to use as neither are really historical like my A1 which I don’t want to mess with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting