Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:10 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Check out PSA you can build them cheaper than you can buy them.

18 inch FN Chrome Lined Cold Hammer Forged barrel 15 inch MLOK Rail Nickel Boron BCG Geissele SSAE trigger Nikon P223 scope M223 mount
PSA Lower
UTG Recon Bipod

PSA ODG Freedom kit.
#ONEMORE lower

16 inch Freedom MLOK upper
PSA lower
Vortex StrikeFire2
Magpul MOE stock and grip.
Geissele SSAE trigger

And I have a 14.7 Pinned and welded FN Cold Hammer Forged Barrel that is chrome lined MLOK upper from PSA with a nickel boron BCG to build this for coming to their defense elsewhere, a commemorative lower
Just need a LPK and buffer tube buffer and stock and possibly jump on another strikefire 2 because they include 10 PMAGs for the price of the strikefire elsewhere.

How do you like the PSA? I've been getting their emails for a while now and can't believe some of the deals they have! Right now they have a lower for only $39.99 and this 16" mid-lenth Freedom complete AR for only $499.99. I'm thinking of ordering that one up tomorrow and then building another one later.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446841.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:36 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
How do you like the PSA? I've been getting their emails for a while now and can't believe some of the deals they have! Right now they have a lower for only $39.99 and this 16" mid-lenth Freedom complete AR for only $499.99. I'm thinking of ordering that one up tomorrow and then building another one later.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446841.html
I Love em. Their stuff is quality. And they back everything up.

Their AKs are great too.
They have an MP5 coming soon...

Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I Love em. Their stuff is quality. And they back everything up.

Their AKs are great too.
They have an MP5 coming soon...
The reviews on their site are very good but on AR-15 site they're mixed. But I've also found the AR-15 site to be a little prejudice against lower priced AR's. It's like if you're not spending 2-3K you're buying a crap rifle. I had a few AR's before but sold them when I moved and now that the prices have come down drastically it's a perfect time to buy a few more.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:31 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
If you think the AR15 forum is picky, try out the M4 carbine net site for some strong opinions.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:04 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
The reviews on their site are very good but on AR-15 site they're mixed. But I've also found the AR-15 site to be a little prejudice against lower priced AR's. It's like if you're not spending 2-3K you're buying a crap rifle. I had a few AR's before but sold them when I moved and now that the prices have come down drastically it's a perfect time to buy a few more.
I have 2 and 3k dollar ARs.
They don't do anything better than a Palmetto does.
Where the money matters in an AR really, is the trigger, the barrel, and bolt carrier.

The new lowers from PSA have the set screw for the upper like an Aero Precision lower has.

Freedom barrels are nitrided/melonited.
Their FN barrels are Cold Hammer Forged and Chrome lined.

Seriously where can you get a MLOK railed upper for 299-319?

A nickel boron bolt carrier group and charging handle for 99.99 shipped!

Salad days. To hell with what the haters say, they just want to feel better about a 5k dollar noveske that they won't operationally operate. It's a range toy safe queen.
God forbid it gets scratched....

Mine don't take up space as ornaments in a safe...
I run mine.
And if you must (I'm a brass prude) run steel cased... they'll run steel cased.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:06 PM

603 posts, read 442,759 times
PSA, Rock River (government but not mil contracts), S&W, Savage, Springfield, Wyndham... to name a few are all good quality “budget” AR builders without major Military contracts. Then you get the high end non military builders like POF,JP and Seekins etc ... again pretty good quality there that probably exceeds most mil spec quality standards. Then you have the big high end companies like BCM and Daniel Defense who probably are the sweet spot they have some military contracts but mostly civilian business. And they make top notch stuff !
The Milspec contract manufacturers Colt and FN at the moment are hit and miss with some of their pure milspec guns lacking a lot of features compared to a lot of higher end guns.
Then you have the SOCOM builders ... essentially the cream ... and these are milspec but sell mainly to special ops branches and civilians looking for the Ferrari’s ... KAC and LMT would fit in here.
I’ve got guns from KAC, LMT, FN, Daniel Defense but like most people I guess the guns I like most are the ones I built up myself.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:32 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Nothing particularly special about "mil spec". Original mil specs on the m 16 were seriously flawed. Gotta figure military contracts are given to the lowest bidder and they will build the rifles exactly to specification even if they know that the specs are wrong. With the AR there are so many makers out there any more all using the same specs seeing any appreciable difference in them is pretty tough.

My primary AR is built on an Anderson lower, DPMS upper and barrel/BCG and mil spec DPMS trigger group. It shoots like a house afire especially with heavier bullets . I'm currently working on an 80% billet lower from Battle Born and plan on this being my really high end shooter when finished. Taking my time with it.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:43 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbitesdog View Post
I have an AR15 from the early 80s. It was built up off of a PWA Pac West Arms receiver. Back then Colt was the only place to buy a fully made AR15 off the rack for the most part. The parts to finish were not colt made or any Colt subsidiaries. The gun for a while was used with a stamped drop in sear from the person I bought it from. It shot some full auto. Its as good today as it was back then. So to buy a gun for the name where the parts are all standardized is most times BS. I have two colt ars that I paid more for. But are they actually worth it? Not for shooting only but collecting yes.
What is a "stamped drop in sear?"

Old 01-09-2019, 08:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What is a "stamped drop in sear?"
Lightning Link?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Lightning Link?
That’s what I thought originally, but a LL isn’t a sear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting