Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:59 PM

93 posts, read 45,304 times

Advertisements

you dont feel unsafe cause you dont have enough experience. If you'll shoot a few armadillos, possums skunks, coons and groundhogs with the 380, and watch them run off for a ways with a good chest just like they do with a .22lr handgun, you'll realize that you're kidding yourself about the 380's "power", the same is true of .45 ball, .38 wadcutters, swc's and jhps, any 9mm jhp heavier than 115 grs (from 3" barrels). Such loads just dont have enough power. and the .45 wastes 2/3rds of it on the far side of a 7" thick animal. it wastes half of its power on the far side of a man, too. The .45 ball load has had more lies told about it than fish stories. Shoot those same critters with 90 gr, 1400+ fps jhp 9mm loads and you'll see a world of difference in the the effect, for the same reason that you see the same difference between a .22lr rifle, using solids, and a .22 MAG rimfire, using hp's. You transmit 3x as much power to the target and that translates to a lot more shock and destruction. It's not 99% effective, like a 60 gr 223 sp is, but it's about 90%, whereas the other loads mentioned are more like 70%.

People doint realize that a 90% load is 200% better than a 70% load, it's NOT just a 20% difference. The 90% load fails 1x in 10 shootings, the 70% load fails 3x in 10 shootings. having 30 enemies keep coming is 3x worse than having 10 of such! 1 more enemy means one more shot, while getting 2 more such hits means another half a second is needed, and each enemy gets to shoot at you at least 4x per second. So giving one of them 1/4 second longer means one more bullet that luck has to help you avoid, and the other guy gets off 2 shots before you hit him. So you have to be 3x as lucky. Those are very bad odds, guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 PM

12,960 posts, read 13,392,760 times
I have been shooting handguns for over 60 years and have shot my share of varmints.
Have owned .22 Short pistols to Model 29 S&W.

Not enough experience? Lol

Old 08-17-2018, 09:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,973,354 times
Quote:

Yeah, there's a lot of opinions as fact in this thread. Obviously somebody has life and BS confused and it ain't me and you. I was born in the country, raised with a gun in my hand. I've killed more varmints than most folks have ever seen. Some of that was because my little brother is a Government trapper. Obviously he and I have hunted most of our lives together.....that would be about 65 years.

And no, there are no full size 380's. The Browning is a semi-compact, I have 2 of them.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I have been shooting handguns for over 60 years and have shot my share of varmints.
Have owned .22 Short pistols to Model 29 S&W.

how many critters have you shot with 380's. That's the relevant issue here. The answer is "none" obviously, so my statement is correct.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of opinions as fact in this thread. Obviously somebody has life and BS confused and it ain't me and you. I was born in the country, raised with a gun in my hand. I've killed more varmints than most folks have ever seen. Some of that was because my little brother is a Government trapper. Obviously he and I have hunted most of our lives together.....that would be about 65 years.

And no, there are no full size 380's. The Browning is a semi-compact, I have 2 of them.
there are 9mm's that are smaller and lighter than the browning 380, so why hit half as hard as you could be hitting, with a gun that's smaller and lighter? No reason, which makes you irrational.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:57 AM

THIS is what you want in the gun

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_...-powrball.html

and THIS is the gun you want it in, not a 380.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCAb3sh9E5g

Old 08-28-2018, 06:10 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,135,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
A .380 has a lighter weight projectile, therefore it could never be as effective as the heavier weight bullet that would come out of a 9mm Glock.
Not so much today. The ballistic overlap is quite impressive for the .380. This and loaded weight with holster is a major consideration when carrying.
Bottom line----there's no 9mm pistol that's anywhere near as light or concealable as pistols such as the Ruger LCP.
I own nearly everything and over the years have gravitated to a .380 pistol for pocket carry. Larger calibers are for the rare time I use a belt or paddle holster.
Just my two cents.

Here's my LCP, 6+1zombies, with Blue Force holster. 12.5 ounces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_074047.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	898.3 KB
ID:	201688

Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsa View Post
THIS is what you want in the gun

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_...-powrball.html

and THIS is the gun you want it in, not a 380.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCAb3sh9E5g
23-ounces total weight is way beyond comfort level for pocket carry in a business environment with dress pants.
Casual wear with an overcoat can hide anything! Printing is not your friend.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsa View Post
you dont feel unsafe cause you dont have enough experience. If you'll shoot a few armadillos, possums skunks, coons and groundhogs with the 380, and watch them run off for a ways with a good chest just like they do with a .22lr handgun, you'll realize that you're kidding yourself about the 380's "power", the same is true of .45 ball, .38 wadcutters, swc's and jhps, any 9mm jhp heavier than 115 grs (from 3" barrels). Such loads just dont have enough power. and the .45 wastes 2/3rds of it on the far side of a 7" thick animal. it wastes half of its power on the far side of a man, too. The .45 ball load has had more lies told about it than fish stories. Shoot those same critters with 90 gr, 1400+ fps jhp 9mm loads and you'll see a world of difference in the the effect, for the same reason that you see the same difference between a .22lr rifle, using solids, and a .22 MAG rimfire, using hp's. You transmit 3x as much power to the target and that translates to a lot more shock and destruction. It's not 99% effective, like a 60 gr 223 sp is, but it's about 90%, whereas the other loads mentioned are more like 70%.

People doint realize that a 90% load is 200% better than a 70% load, it's NOT just a 20% difference. The 90% load fails 1x in 10 shootings, the 70% load fails 3x in 10 shootings. having 30 enemies keep coming is 3x worse than having 10 of such! 1 more enemy means one more shot, while getting 2 more such hits means another half a second is needed, and each enemy gets to shoot at you at least 4x per second. So giving one of them 1/4 second longer means one more bullet that luck has to help you avoid, and the other guy gets off 2 shots before you hit him. So you have to be 3x as lucky. Those are very bad odds, guys.
Interesting post. Most of us here understand the big picture and the ballistics of current ammo.

If I lived in the neighborhood you describe, I'd move!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:20 AM

12,960 posts, read 13,392,760 times
The poster you are quoting apparently got himself banned for trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting