Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 AM

785 posts, read 1,360,301 times

Advertisements

As I get older, I wonder what will happen to outdoor traditions like hunting and fishing?
I hear of so much anti-gun lobbying in our country; also terms like anti-hunting, PITA and Vegan which I never heard before 1990, seem to flash up in the media almost daily.
It seems with more people moving to urban centers and only the old remaining in rural areas, it won't be too long before hunting could disappear from the American scene.
To me this is 'unacceptable' and disheartening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,803,814 times
It is disheartening, but there will always be youngsters who will be enthralled with hunting and fishing. The best we can do is encourage our government at all levels to provide land for those youngsters to pursue their interests. Alabama makes an effort to provide wildlife management areas in most parts of the state. Kentucky does as well. I am sure that other states do also.

Your post has made me aware that this is an area in which that I may be able to make an impact by getting more involved. Thank you posting.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 PM

177 posts, read 127,828 times
I am a new (5th season) hunter and my #1 obstacle was finding a person to take me for the first time...I strongly believe hunter recruitment ia tied to someone being willing to offer to take someone out and get them started.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:31 PM

17,228 posts, read 57,166,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
I am a new (5th season) hunter and my #1 obstacle was finding a person to take me for the first time...I strongly believe hunter recruitment ia tied to someone being willing to offer to take someone out and get them started.

This is spot on. We old guys need to mentor younger people, hunting, fishing, reloading, target shooting and ordinary plinking, fly tying, knife sharpening - all those things that mostly my uncles taught me.

IMHO it's not too early in the year to talk to some "young 'uns" about the upcoming hunting season. And don't forget that fishing can be a good "gateway drug" to segway into hunting.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:02 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,582,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
I think a lot of this is, these days, a lot of people say they "don't have time" to take somebody hunting or fishing. Plus a lot of them don't want anybody to know where their good hunting and fishing spots are.
There is a man here in western Kentucky who has taken it on himself to get the youth back to hunting and fishing. He, with help of other adult volunteers, took young boys and girls turkey and deer hunting and, this weekend, is taking several out fishing for catfish. He is a Christian man who organizes camping trips at a county owned lake where they talk about their weapons, the animals, respect for others. He is a Christian man and gives a Bible lesson also. He has a great turnout at these campouts and you should see pictures of how proud the kids look standing by the turkey or deer they shot.

​Gods Backwoods Disciples Ministry - Home

https://44news.wevv.com/inside-commu...entoring-camp/

Old 05-10-2019, 01:49 PM

785 posts, read 1,360,301 times
This guy sounds like a winner!
I agree with all of what is said about exposing young people to hunting!
It took me along time late into adulthood before I ever went hunting and I love it.
Growing up without anyone around who hunted was the reason so I really think those who have the knowledge/skills and are able should share their passion with others.
Many youth that are from other 'walks of life' than one's own are especially missing out from the hunting, fishing, camping experience and these populations will be either supporting our interest or putting their support elsewhere.
Young people need exposure and encouragement from those experienced sportsman and women to keep hunting and fishing alive in the future.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:07 PM

705 posts, read 510,403 times
I’ve heard of this issue before. But the sad truth is most people and in particular youth, do not live close enough to legal hunting areas. When I was a kid, we just walked out the door and had miles of places to hunt. Now, that same area is full of housing tracts, mansions and golf courses with no trespassing and no hunting signs posted EVERYWHERE. And the police will arrest anyone seen with a gun, it’s in California. That is where the population lives....and those kids will vote one day.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:14 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,229,720 times
It's a double edged sword. I'll lend a hand to some young guys if they can prove they can handle a firearm safely. The trouble is, we had a couple of new guys just take the spots over we showed them by bringing up all their buddies. Now those good spots ain't so good. We've had to just take the new guys to some spots pretty much everyone knows about already and let them prove to us they are willing to pull their share like helping pack in and out, bring food up to camp and share. Put time in glassing and willing to do long hikes. The basic things all of us do.

I do feel for the guys surrounded by cidiots that hate hunters and hunting.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:42 PM

534 posts, read 1,172,830 times
I worry just as much about the tendency among many of us today to put what I consider to be too much emphasis on having to “get” something every time they head out into the woods. When a lot of us grew up and learned to hunt, it was usually more about being outside, appreciating nature, spending time with friends or family, etc.

I see too many people believing that a day hunting without success is a day wasted, or not getting a “trophy” sized animal isn’t a good hunt. Is it a rise among Americans of a sense of self-entitlement? I don’t know.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:53 PM

17,228 posts, read 57,166,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
I worry just as much about the tendency among many of us today to put what I consider to be too much emphasis on having to “get” something every time they head out into the woods. When a lot of us grew up and learned to hunt, it was usually more about being outside, appreciating nature, spending time with friends or family, etc.

I see too many people believing that a day hunting without success is a day wasted, or not getting a “trophy” sized animal isn’t a good hunt. Is it a rise among Americans of a sense of self-entitlement? I don’t know.

I guess this is just part of the coarsening of American society. I have not seen that much of it, but mostly hunt/fish alone when I get a chance to go.

Particularly on a big game hunt, you know, if you manage to bag an animal really early in the hunt, most places your hunt is over, maybe it's better that a guy hunt a few days, before scoring. And, yeah, the size of the trophy is seldom about the skill of the hunter, mostly just dumb luck. Except for the really dedicated guys who go out and see a lot of game every day, and wait till they find a really big set of horns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting