Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 02:11 PM

2,722 posts, read 2,226,369 times

Advertisements

I plan on going to a range in a few weeks for the first time ever to shoot my handguns. I have done my shooting outdoors at my brother's and I have some questions. I have my ear muffs and safety glasses. I have some new target loads and some reloads I have had for 20 - 30 years (9mm). I know I will be a newbie, but I don't want to seem like a newbie to much.

1) What am I allowed to shoot?
2) Do I bring in the handguns unloaded, in my bag, on my hip or what?
3) Could someone point me to what I would expect and what the range would expect of me?
4) Do I only bring what I want to shoot and leave my extra loads and magazines at home?
5) What will the fee cover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 03:52 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,158,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I plan on going to a range in a few weeks for the first time ever to shoot my handguns. I have done my shooting outdoors at my brother's and I have some questions. I have my ear muffs and safety glasses. I have some new target loads and some reloads I have had for 20 - 30 years (9mm). I know I will be a newbie, but I don't want to seem like a newbie to much.

3) Could someone point me to what I would expect and what the range would expect of me?
4) Do I only bring what I want to shoot and leave my extra loads and magazines at home?
A great investment is a shooting bag or range bag. I bought a more or less universal bag from Midway who knows how many years ago. Can't miss it. Why: fumbling around with full hands and other BS going into a range, never mind the range bay, is a real bummer. Avoid that. I walk in with one bag, and out with same (though it's a bit lighter en route out!)

To your inquiries:

1) Range may have ammo rules, show them the ammo and ask if okay. In WA "my" ranges ask what I'm shooting, often as not.
2) Unload weapons, lock open, place in your bag or case. Handle only on the firing line, not the bench behind the line: bring the bag or case to the line. I've never seen a range that allowed customers to wander with weapons on hips outside the bay(s). Not impossible, perhaps, but not that I've seen.
2a) I personally separate mags from weapons in another bag pouch, too: loaded or unloaded mags (here), weapons (there) as a best practice.
3) Many range...perhaps most...have rules and plenty of them posted somewhere. Onsite, surely. Here in WA they'd ask you to fill out a few forms with things to read along those lines: not onerous, but necessary.
4) Probably what I'd do!
5) a) your range time b) eyes and ears, if needed c) there may be RO's available for Q&A, I'd avail myself of that w/o hesitation.

Implicit in question 5) is a desire for training, perhaps. See below.

When handling weapons on the line, please obey the four fundamentals or rules. Look them up, they're everywhere.

An outfit called InSights based here in WA has a course called "General Defensive Handgun" that in a weekend hammers home the fundamentals, with plenty of shooting and equal classroom time. More of a concealed carry thing, but they sure do teach a lot in c. 16 hrs of class and range time. Other outfits nationally have similar. Cannot recommend that highly enough WHEN you are comfortable: I attended before ever carrying (legally), way back when, to ensure both skills and knowledge were at a baseline.

I'm sure others will have additional comments. I hung up my spurs for 2020 due to crazed ammo prices and and truly can't imagine what 2021 will bring.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:20 PM

I do have a range bag. I am assuming I would need to buy targets. There are two ranges that I am looking at. One is outdoors and one is indoors. If offered different distances which would be best?

Old 01-19-2021, 06:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,089,681 times
I like to use ear plugs under my ear muffs.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:17 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times
Quote:
I do have a range bag. I am assuming I would need to buy targets. There are two ranges that I am looking at. One is outdoors and one is indoors. If offered different distances which would be best?
That's basically your choice. Myself I prefer shooting outdoors so much so that even living in the snow zone I don't go to the indoor range.

Please let the RSO know you are using reloads. Not saying that it can't happen with factory loads, but more common in reloads, squibs can be a real thing. Which I personally hope to never witness!!

If you can peruse their website in advance you can get a feel in how things are handled there.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:57 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,783,305 times
Quote:
In my pre-retirement years, I shot at several ranges in the northern part of Los Angeles county. In my post-retirement years, I shoot at ranges in North Idaho.

Quote:
You are "allowed" to shoot pretty much everything, but only on specific ranges. Pistols on the pistol ranges, rifles on the rifle ranges, and shotguns on the shotgun range. Forget exotic firearms, (such as fully-automatic machine guns). Exploding incendiaries are not allowed either. Sometimes, you are allowed to shoot pistol caliber rifles on the pistol ranges, especially if they are .22 caliber. Ask if you are not sure.

p.s. Perhaps I misinterpreted your question. About reloads, I can't offer any help. Never shot them yet, even though I do have some.

Quote:
Unloaded, in your range bag. Magazines can be loaded, but best not in the gun. However, nobody checks, (at least at the ranges I frequent). I usually go with a whole boat load of "stuff". A few pistols are two-to-a-case. The hard plastic type with the foam inserts to keep the firearms from moving around and "scratching" each other. Even them, they are wrapped in a microfiber cloth. A few I wrap in a microfiber cloth and put in my plastic "ammo case", (with my ammo, log notebook, a roll of tape to hang up targets, (in case the range doesn't have any tape), magazines, earmuffs, safety glasses, and maybe a few tools). The rifles are in padded, zip-up cases. I think I once came with a rifle still in its cardboard box in which I purchased it.

Quote:
Be respectful, and obey the Range Marshall immediately and without question. He is "God" when you are on a range. What they expect of you is to exhibit proper and safe handling of your firearms. Again, if in doubt or have any questions, ask. The Range Marshalls are some of the most helpful people out there, and they are usually pretty friendly and willing to help a newby. It is perfectly okay to let them know that it is your first time, you are unsure of what is expected of you, and ask him to explain the rules to you and how to behave. Safety first, above anything else.

I don't like to shoot next to anybody, especially someone I don't know. First, if you are on their right side, you will get pelted with hot brass as they are shooting. Then, if they have a large-caliber firearm, the noise is deafening. And, I always have one eye on them because I don't know if they really are respectful of firearms and how to safely handle them. The joy of being at a range is gone if I have to constantly watch my neighbors.

When a range is not terribly busy, the Range Marshalls get easily bored and sometimes wander off for short periods of time. It is at those times that you have to be extra watchful of those around you.

Also, it is not a requirement, but it goes a long way when you grab a broom and sweep up brass on the ground. I don't like it because when I step on it, it just bugs me to all get out. Not sure if it a safety issue or not. It just bugs me. The Range Marshall will appreciate you keeping your bay clean and clear of brass. And, during cease fire times, if I don't have to go downrange, I usually grab a broom and sweep other's bays. Best to ask if they plan on keeping their brass before sweeping, (most don't, but that may change in these uncertain days). Just be sure to stay behind the yellow line. You can reach your broom across, just don't step across.

Quote:
You can bring whatever you want, (as long as it is not illegal). However, if you are not going to use it, why bother bringing it?

Quote:
Varies. Usually, the fee only covers access. I've never had a time limit and shot as long as I wanted to.

If you don't bring your own targets, a range will sell you some. I like the reactive paper targets. Much easier to see a hit.

- - -

On your question about distance . . . on an indoor range, you'll have a pulley system and can distance your targets to whatever distance you want. Set close for pistols, far for rifles. Outdoors, keep the large caliber rifles on the rifle range and pistols on the pistol range, (with the caveat of possibly shooting pistol caliber rifles on the pistol range - again, ask if permitted. They will let you know.)

The suggestion of reviewing the four fundamental rules of firearm safety is very important. Know, and practice them.

1.) Treat every firearm as if it were loaded, even if you know it is not.
2.) Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
3.) Be willing to destroy whatever you shoot. Know your target, and what is behind it.
4.) Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

I got "yelled at" by a Range Marshall once. Wasn't paying much attention to the person next to me. He was fiddling around with his firearm. I saw that it was a revolver, but didn't pay much attention after that. When he fired, the BOOM was so loud that I practically jumped out of my skin. I took a huge step back and raised my pistol straight up, pointing to the sky. He has a S&W 500 Magnum. Boy, was that thing loud! Got yelled at to keep my firearm pointed down range. Every time he fired after that, I just put down my firearms, cupped my ears, (even though I had on muffs), and stepped outside the shooting hut until he was done.

Above all, have a good time. It's "fun" putting little holes in paper. The challenge is making those holes appear in the middle of the paper.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 01-19-2021 at 09:05 PM..

Old 01-20-2021, 08:18 AM

I like the idea of a private space instead of a long table with everyone shooting. The outdoor range is like this. The indoor range has booths.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:33 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,032,304 times
Especially at the indoor range i would check first as to ammo requirements, etc as they can often list no reloads and brass only ammo needs. And some will state no holster work, one gun on the desk at a time and so on. Your first visit to a place, especially for newer shooters, can be more of a trial to see how everything works there. The more you go and the more confidence the RO’s have in your abilities and how you handle yourself the smoother each visit can be.
A local range here did not want mags preloaded. But I would shoot a lot and always loaded my mags early to save time and my thumbs. They knew me so didnt have an issue. But others that were new often had to unload their mags. At times they were sneaking in reloads. Like kids sneaking candy in a theater.

Follow all directions and be safe and it can be a fun day.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:28 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:

Every range usually will have a website, within that website they should have range rules. So you can look it up before you go. But in general (this will mostly be redundant with above):

1.) Indoor ranges are usually limited to handguns and handgun ammo. I have been to ranges that allow shotguns and some have an AR15 time.

2.) Most say to bring unloaded. To be frank I walk in with a handgun on my hip. Never any problem even when I have to present my handgun (obviosly, drawing and clearing in a safe manner).

3.) Range expect you to follow safety regulations, which again they will have posted. Most important - keep you weapon pointed downrange at the target at all times. Clear with action open when not in use or storing in your range bag. You start sweeping others and you will likely be kicked out. Range will require eye and ear protection, no problem since your already have. Sometimes they have "ears" to rent (yuck, bring your own). Advice, put on your ears BEFORE you enter the shooting area. Bring a target or usually they have paper targets you can buy for a small charge. Don't be stupid and practice 'quick draws' from your holster, don't be stupid and fire multiple shots as fast as you can. Don't be stupid and fire at the roof. They all will get you kicked out. Just don't be stupid.

4.) Bring as much ammo as you like. Usually they will ask that brass only rounds be used, and may check your ammo to verify.

5.) Fee usually covers a shooting booth for a period of time, i.e. an hour.

The above applies to an indoor range. Might be different for outdoor ranges which also usually has ranges of different length to accomodate hand guns and long guns.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:30 PM

One thing I did not think about is I would assume masks are required at the indoor range, but they may not be at the outdoor range. Wearing these make my glasses fog up. Wearing a mask and ear muffs plus safety glasses may not be very much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting