Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 08:47 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times

Advertisements

From the sounds of it, covid19 has generated a substantial amount of first time gun owners.

Apparently watching people fight over toilet paper and worrying about civil unrest has made people decide to buy guns for the first time ever.

I just thought this would be a good thread to talk about it and if any first time owners are out there to stop in and say hello. If you have any questions no matter how simple or silly just ask we would be glad to help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 02:40 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
It's been discussed briefly in the "shortages" thread and also the prepper forum.

Old time gun owners always welcome first time gun owners BUT...and the is a big but....we realize that people are buying guns as a reactive impulse, buying it for anticipation of the breakdown of society is just stupid. I would rather people buy it for the collection or sport aspect of gun ownership. But OK, I guess that's not how human nature works. Gun ownership brings responsibility - firearms training, knowledge of safe usage, how to secure a gun so children don't get access, how to secure it so it doesn't get stolen. My guess it that many that are buying guns for the first time have never handled a gun before. So we are going to have a rash of negligent discharges, people accidentally shooting themselves while handling, or (my pet peeve) guns being stolen by criminals because idiots just keep them in the car, children gaining access, people arrested for flashing a weapon in public. The good thing is when this crisis passes we are going to see lots of guns being sold at discount. My hope is these new gun owners become responsible gun owners, maybe join a gun club, learn and enjoy the competitive aspect of gun sports, or just the relaxing nature and self challenge of plinking at paper targets.

So the message - try to get some training (to the extend you can with the stay-at-home orders), go to the internet learn safety rules, learn how to secure your firearm, learn the laws in your state, become familiar with your weapon - break it down and learn it's function, be a responsible gun owner because otherwise it makes us all look bad.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
New gun owners (and any others who haven't carried) should take the thirty day test. Carry concealed for thirty days. Then, don't carry on day thirty-one. On day thirty-two and for the rest of your life, you'll carry .

Old 04-08-2020, 04:56 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
New gun owners (and any others who haven't carried) should take the thirty day test. Carry concealed for thirty days. Then, don't carry on day thirty-one. On day thirty-two and for the rest of your life, you'll carry .

Old 04-08-2020, 05:05 PM

Hopefully these first time gun owners will realize how important the 2nd Amendment is and will vote accordingly against anyone who wishes to abolish it. Or at the very least legislate it out of existence to the point where it's just word's on a piece of parchment.

This will take some time and effort. They'll have to do a bit of research on who they're voting for, what legislation they've sponsored and statements they've made. Oh sure they'll all say they support the 2nd Amendment, BUT. The key word is "BUT".

Old 04-08-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's been discussed briefly in the "shortages" thread and also the prepper forum.

Old time gun owners always welcome first time gun owners BUT...and the is a big but....we realize that people are buying guns as a reactive impulse, buying it for anticipation of the breakdown of society is just stupid. I would rather people buy it for the collection or sport aspect of gun ownership. But OK, I guess that's not how human nature works. Gun ownership brings responsibility - firearms training, knowledge of safe usage, how to secure a gun so children don't get access, how to secure it so it doesn't get stolen. My guess it that many that are buying guns for the first time have never handled a gun before. So we are going to have a rash of negligent discharges, people accidentally shooting themselves while handling, or (my pet peeve) guns being stolen by criminals because idiots just keep them in the car, children gaining access, people arrested for flashing a weapon in public. The good thing is when this crisis passes we are going to see lots of guns being sold at discount. My hope is these new gun owners become responsible gun owners, maybe join a gun club, learn and enjoy the competitive aspect of gun sports, or just the relaxing nature and self challenge of plinking at paper targets.

So the message - try to get some training (to the extend you can with the stay-at-home orders), go to the internet learn safety rules, learn how to secure your firearm, learn the laws in your state, become familiar with your weapon - break it down and learn it's function, be a responsible gun owner because otherwise it makes us all look bad.
I agree with your post. Except the good thing about "buying it for anticipation of the breakdown of society" will finally wake a lot of people up as to why we have and how important the 2nd Amendment is.

Too many people and for too long have taken for granted our civil liberties. Many are willing to relinquish some of them in the name of public safety. That should scare the hell out of any freedom loving American. If they can easily vote away one they can easily vote away them all.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:34 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
From the sounds of it, covid19 has generated a substantial amount of first time gun owners.

Apparently watching people fight over toilet paper and worrying about civil unrest has made people decide to buy guns for the first time ever.

I just thought this would be a good thread to talk about it and if any first time owners are out there to stop in and say hello. If you have any questions no matter how simple or silly just ask we would be glad to help
The way they're emptying jails makes people nervous, not just bickering over toilet paper.

Up here in northern Maine we can buy a gun with no hassle , no permit .
Walmart sells them.
Maine, the way life should be. Gun violence is near zero.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes, and no. When I lived in Illinois I carried concealed. Every day I'd do the "phone, keys, gun, wallet...." check as I headed out the door.

I've moved out of Illinois in a small town a couple states away just less than a year ago. I am in process of getting a permit to do so, but I feel safe. There aren't many times I wish I had one, to be honest. But when I sell something on the internet and have to meet with a stranger and exchange large amounts of cash? Yup. When I visit the city for pretty much any reason? Yup.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:59 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
I’m actually getting fingerprinted today for my gun permit. NJ has a ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I’m looking at S&W M&P Shield 2.0. If anyone has any handgun suggestions that fit the less than 10 rounds criteria I’m open for suggestions. This would be the first gun I own.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:24 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I’m actually getting fingerprinted today for my gun permit. NJ has a ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I’m looking at S&W M&P Shield 2.0. If anyone has any handgun suggestions that fit the less than 10 rounds criteria I’m open for suggestions. This would be the first gun I own.
Sorry you don't live in a free state. But look into the Sig Sauer P365 if you are going to carry - 9mm microcompact and 10 (+1 in the chamber) capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting