Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 05:15 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,212,297 times

Advertisements

I finally got my cataracts done and I have my new glasses. I now want to go to the range to sight in my Hi-Point 9MM carbine and my 9MM pistols. I have a new red dot for the carbine. Will it be close to center to start off with? What type of targets do I need? I have an outdoor range that is free to use less than 5 miles away. I have not been there yet to see it, plus I have never shot at a range before. The only shooting I have done in many years has been at my brother's where he has a target set up. Any idea what else I will need for the first visit. I have glasses and ear muffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 08:28 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I finally got my cataracts done and I have my new glasses. I now want to go to the range to sight in my Hi-Point 9MM carbine and my 9MM pistols. I have a new red dot for the carbine. Will it be close to center to start off with? What type of targets do I need? I have an outdoor range that is free to use less than 5 miles away. I have not been there yet to see it, plus I have never shot at a range before. The only shooting I have done in many years has been at my brother's where he has a target set up. Any idea what else I will need for the first visit. I have glasses and ear muffs.
I suggest that you contact the range and ask them or see if they have a website. If you're new to going to a shooting range it wouldn't hurt to attend a range safety brief or basic shooting class if they offer one. Besides eye and ear protection keep your firearms holstered or in a case until your ready to shoot. Obtain a small bag specifically for range days. Store your ammo, eye and hearing protection, extra magazines and cleaning supplies in this bag. Keep this bag for going to the range or field with your firearms. I recommend never using this bag as a carry on for flying on commercial airliner. I've seen too many people make the mistake of thinking they sanitized their range bag of anything prohibited on an airliner only to have TSA find ammo or a loaded magazine. TSA and airport police have no sense of humor about this.

Purchase some paper silhouette targets. They come in a variety to sizes and designs. If the range is unattended you might want to bring a stapler to a fix the targets to the target frame. Some ranges have clips on the target frames for this purposes. It just depends on their set up.

The firing range safety basics are:

-Keep all weapons pointed down range.
-Know your target and it's surroundings.
-Keep your finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot.
-Treat all guns as though they were loaded.

Are you referring to the Bella Vista Shooting Range on 16407 Rocky Dell Hollow Rd, Gravette, AR 72736?

Last edited by irishcopper; 09-27-2021 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-27-2021, 09:00 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
For the red dot site or scopes, I usually optically boresite before I get to the range (or you can laser boresite). That will get you close enough, then at the range you zero in. Plenty of youtube videos show you the process. Buy some paper targets, or you can even print them off online. If you really want to site in your carbine properly, you need a shooting rest. For 9MM carbine I would also use a 50 yard range.

For the handgun it might be a bit more complex, some handguns have fixed sites, some need specialized tools to adjust the site, and a shooting rest designed for long guns might be a bit more difficult to use. Most handguns should generally be accurate out of the box for the limited range of intended use. In many cases, the sites aren't the problem, it's the shooter.

For first time at the range, acquaint yourself with the standard safety principles of firearm usage:
  • All guns are always loaded
  • Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy
  • Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target
  • Identify your target, and what is behind it
(edit - same as listed in post above me, just reworded)

But also there are some extra safety/courtesy steps at a public range you should be familiar with mostly regarding changing out targets. You may have shooters beside you, and from time to time they need to check and change targets. It's important to communicate with them when this happens on when the range it "hot" or not. If people need to go out on the range, step away from the gun, ideally the gun should be layed down with chamber open. This is just the basics - again, google safe operating procedures at a public range.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:08 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
If it's a public range you may want to bring someone with you to watch over your property while going downrange to place targets. I have never experienced theft of property myself, but I've heard of it happening.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
I suggest that you contact the range and ask them or see if they have a website. If you're new to going to a shooting range it wouldn't hurt to attend a range safety brief or basic shooting class if they offer one. Besides eye and ear protection keep your firearms holstered or in a case until your ready to shoot. Obtain a small bag specifically for range days. Store your ammo, eye and hearing protection, extra magazines and cleaning supplies in this bag. Keep this bag for going to the range or field with your firearms. I recommend never using this bag as a carry on for flying on commercial airliner. I've seen too many people make the mistake of thinking they sanitized their range bag of anything prohibited on an airliner only to have TSA find ammo or a loaded magazine. TSA and airport police have no sense of humor about this.

Purchase some paper silhouette targets. They come in a variety to sizes and designs. If the range is unattended you might want to bring a stapler to a fix the targets to the target frame. Some ranges have clips on the target frames for this purposes. It just depends on their set up.

The firing range safety basics are:

-Keep all weapons pointed down range.
-Know your target and it's surroundings.
-Keep your finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot.
-Treat all guns as though they were loaded.

Are you referring to the Bella Vista Shooting Range on 16407 Rocky Dell Hollow Rd, Gravette, AR 72736?
I have a bag already for the range. Yes, that is the range I was referring to.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:11 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,030 times
Quote:
I have a bag already for the range. Yes, that is the range I was referring to.

I prefer to go to public ranges when it's quiet. That's usually during the middle of the week. Otherwise, I'm distracted by other shooters who many not being practicing range safety. I'm spoiled after forty two years of practicing and qualifying on military and law enforcement ranges where everyone is shooting the same course of fire at the same. There's certainly nothing wrong with public ranges you just have to make certain people aren't doing anything stupid that will get someone shot.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:42 AM

Before I go to the range I have to get a red dot that will fit on the "odd" rail on my rifle. It was on there when I got it. I bought a red dot for a picatinny rail, but it won't fit. It looks nothing like a picatinny or weaver rail.

I am an early riser and I am hoping I can go to the range when they first open.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:36 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,177,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
...other shooters who many not being practicing range safety...you just have to make certain people aren't doing anything stupid that will get someone shot.
Yup - over the past 15-20 years or so (coinciding with the general public becoming more interested in owning firearms), I've noticed a considerable decline in the "quality" of the other shooters I see at public ranges...for the longest time I'd wear a lvl II vest when going to the range; a few years ago I decided to add some lvl 4 plates to that, now that AR-15s and .500 handguns are pretty commonplace to see (with, as mentioned, less than stellar attention to safety).

So..for OP - re-read irishcopper's sage advice in his first post in this thread...then read it again a few more times until it's second nature to you.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:48 PM

I got my red dot installed and in the next few days I plan on making a visit to the range. This will be to find out the range details. One thing I wonder is do I take a rag or towel to lay my gun on when they are not in my bag? Whenever I do anything on my guns at my work bench I have a towel or small blanket to lay them on.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
I got my red dot installed and in the next few days I plan on making a visit to the range. This will be to find out the range details. One thing I wonder is do I take a rag or towel to lay my gun on when they are not in my bag? Whenever I do anything on my guns at my work bench I have a towel or small blanket to lay them on.
Most ranges have a shooting bench...for long guns at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting