Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 05:25 PM

240 posts, read 241,704 times

Advertisements

I picked up a compound bow last year and am finally getting around to taking up regular range time with it. I have no hunting experience of any kind. I am considering putting in for a Spring black bear tag (Idaho resident) this coming season.

First question, am I out of my mind trying for a Spring black bear archery hunt as my first ever hunting experience? Would this at least be a good learning experience?

Second question, can anyone recommend any good books on Western black bear hunting?

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 06:00 PM

754 posts, read 414,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
I picked up a compound bow last year and am finally getting around to taking up regular range time with it. I have no hunting experience of any kind. I am considering putting in for a Spring black bear tag (Idaho resident) this coming season.

First question, am I out of my mind trying for a Spring black bear archery hunt as my first ever hunting experience? Would this at least be a good learning experience?

Second question, can anyone recommend any good books on Western black bear hunting?

Thanks for the input.
Personally I would not do it for my first hunting experience.I would go rabbit hunting or squirrel hunting for my first hunting experience.I am afraid going bear hunting for your first ever hunt may be too dangerous.

Old 11-06-2022, 06:53 PM

19,847 posts, read 22,747,670 times
Quote:

Thanks for the input.
I've never hunted bear but hunting is hunting. Do you have any experience with bear habits, signs- things like that? The more you learn about the habits of game, the easier it becomes. Ever think of going with a guide? It may cost $$ but generally you will get an education with the paid expertise.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've never hunted bear but hunting is hunting. Do you have any experience with bear habits, signs- things like that? The more you learn about the habits of game, the easier it becomes. Ever think of going with a guide? It may cost $$ but generally you will get an education with the paid expertise.
At this point I think I'd rather figure things out without a guide. Even if it means I don't harvest anything the first few seasons, I think field practice would be a rewarding way to get that education. That said, I don't think priming myself with book knowledge would hurt any. The MeatEater big game hunting guide has a section on black bear hunting, it would be great to find something that goes into greater detail.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:53 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,151,667 times
Quote:
At this point I think I'd rather figure things out without a guide. Even if it means I don't harvest anything the first few seasons, I think field practice would be a rewarding way to get that education. That said, I don't think priming myself with book knowledge would hurt any. The MeatEater big game hunting guide has a section on black bear hunting, it would be great to find something that goes into greater detail.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
You know, I would suggest you at least price out what a guide would cost. And let them know up front that you have no experience, but you want to learn from them, that you are not looking for "executive entertainment".

The right guide will take you from zero to hero in a few days.

At least price it out.

That said, you are not wrong to read up on any sort of hunting before you try it.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, I would suggest you at least price out what a guide would cost. And let them know up front that you have no experience, but you want to learn from them, that you are not looking for "executive entertainment".

The right guide will take you from zero to hero in a few days.

At least price it out.
Did a quick search and every site I checked was well over $1k, which is already a lot more than I would want to pay. I do need to make some more friends where I'm at. If I'm fortunate, maybe I can meet some people with experience who would be willing to help me along in that way.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:37 AM

17,221 posts, read 57,151,667 times
How well do you shoot with a bow?

You are really jumping into the deep end of the pool for a first hunt, maybe you should hunt some small game and/or birds before you go bowhunting for bear.

At the end of the day, you may be better off paying the $1000 for a guide. Education is expensive, but ignorance ends up costing more and is no fun anyway.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:03 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
Sounds like a singularly bad idea to me, OP.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:28 PM

39,889 posts, read 26,566,286 times
I'd try to find someone to hunt with. Maybe hang out at your local archery shop or range for a while and ask around? Or post on Facebook. You don't need a guide as such. What part of Idaho are you in? I'm from the CDA/Sandpoint area. If you find someone to hunt with, they can help with showing you what to use to bait with, sign to look for to know a good place to bait, and it is just a more enjoyable hunt. Hounds are legal in ID as well and are commonly used, but I don't recall if that was fall only. Obviously not archery though.

Practice a lot! The shooting needs to be second nature-lots of town have a range to shoot at if you can't shoot at home. There isn't much more rewarding, or challenging than taking game with a bow. I never hunted bear with one, but got a couple bulls. Have you taken your archery class and gotten your cert yet? Also, while very unlikely, a wounded bear might charge-IMO a good idea to pack a large-ish caliber handgun (legal during bow season in Idaho). 10mm or .357 is plenty for a blackie-10mm Glock or Springfield XDM probably more affordable.

The other benefit of hunting with someone else is that they can teach you how to dress an animal, and also help packing. Most of Idaho is steep mountains, and packing is usually a given, rather than dragging out a whole animal.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 11-11-2022 at 04:42 PM..

Old 11-11-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'd try to find someone to hunt with. Maybe hang out at your local archery shop or range for a while and ask around? Or post on Facebook. You don't need a guide as such. What part of Idaho are you in? I'm from the CDA/Sandpoint area. If you find someone to hunt with, they can help with showing you what to use to bait with, sign to look for to know a good place to bait, and it is just a more enjoyable hunt. Hounds are legal in ID as well and are commonly used, but I don't recall if that was fall only. Obviously not archery though.

Practice a lot! The shooting needs to be second nature-lots of town have a range to shoot at if you can't shoot at home. There isn't much more rewarding, or challenging than taking game with a bow. I never hunted bear with one, but got a couple bulls. Have you taken your archery class and gotten your cert yet? Also, while very unlikely, a wounded bear might charge-IMO a good idea to pack a large-ish caliber handgun (legal during bow season in Idaho). 10mm or .357 is plenty for a blackie-10mm Glock or Springfield XDM probably more affordable.

The other benefit of hunting with someone else is that they can teach you how to dress an animal, and also help packing. Most of Idaho is steep mountains, and packing is usually a given, rather than dragging out a whole animal.
Ada County. I can't practice at home but there are several good ranges around here. I actually got my cert several years ago and never used it. I doubt I would be going out alone but there is a chance the guys I go with aren't experienced bear hunters. I don't have a bear caliber sidearm, I was thinking to just carry bear spray. I wouldn't be anywhere near grizzly country most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting