Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 04:06 PM

767 posts, read 421,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
A bolt action in 6.5 Creedmoor would be better than a .270. I have never thought the .270 is that good. It's a long case, same length as the .30-06, and felt recoil is far higher than a .308 or 6.5.

The first round used in the M1 Garand was the .276 Pedersen, which is about the same length as a .308 case but with a smaller base. Douglas McArthur forced the use of .30-06 because there were large stocks of ammunition and factories set up to make it in large quantities.

The 7.62x51 (.308) was developed as a shorter cartridge with ballistics similar to the .30-06 due to new smokeless powders that provided enough energy to achieve 2700 fps with a 150gr bullet(later 147gr).
I like the idea of the 6.5 Creedmoor but our fishing guide buddy who hunts a lot thinks the 6.5 Creedmoor is no good because he heard deer run most of the time after getting hit.I dont know how true that is.I have heard that one possible cause for it is that some people use non-hunting ammo like match bullets for the 6.5 Creedmoor to hunt deer and other game.I dont want to take that chance so I am real hesitant to get a 6.5 Creedmoor because my deer run a lot with my .243 but they typically run 50 yards tops.Also could be poor shot placement or combination of the two or something else all to gether.I like the idea of a .308 vs a 6.5 Creedmoor because a .308 would likely cause a deer to bleed out faster than a 6.5 Creedmoor because its a heavier and wider bullet.Why would a 6.5 be better than a .270 other than lower recoil because I have heard that deer possibly run less with a .270.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 08:27 PM

15,579 posts, read 7,596,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
I like the idea of the 6.5 Creedmoor but our fishing guide buddy who hunts a lot thinks the 6.5 Creedmoor is no good because he heard deer run most of the time after getting hit.I dont know how true that is.I have heard that one possible cause for it is that some people use non-hunting ammo like match bullets for the 6.5 Creedmoor to hunt deer and other game.I dont want to take that chance so I am real hesitant to get a 6.5 Creedmoor because my deer run a lot with my .243 but they typically run 50 yards tops.Also could be poor shot placement or combination of the two or something else all to gether.I like the idea of a .308 vs a 6.5 Creedmoor because a .308 would likely cause a deer to bleed out faster than a 6.5 Creedmoor because its a heavier and wider bullet.Why would a 6.5 be better than a .270 other than lower recoil because I have heard that deer possibly run less with a .270.
Deer can run 100 yards after getting hit with a .300 Win Mag. The only way to ensure a deer does not run is to shoot it through the shoulders. Of the deer I've shot, the ones that didn't run were shot in one or both shoulders and were incapable of running. I had a deer shot through the heart with my .308 run over 100 yards. One of the guys that hunts the same ranch I do uses a 6.5 Creedmoor, and his results are the same as mine. The guy who owns the place uses a .270, and his deer run just as far as the .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor deer.

Again, any deer that isn't shot in a spot that breaks bones is capable running a much longer distance than you would think.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Deer can run 100 yards after getting hit with a .300 Win Mag. The only way to ensure a deer does not run is to shoot it through the shoulders. Of the deer I've shot, the ones that didn't run were shot in one or both shoulders and were incapable of running. I had a deer shot through the heart with my .308 run over 100 yards. One of the guys that hunts the same ranch I do uses a 6.5 Creedmoor, and his results are the same as mine. The guy who owns the place uses a .270, and his deer run just as far as the .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor deer.

Again, any deer that isn't shot in a spot that breaks bones is capable running a much longer distance than you would think.
Oh okay thank you very much for your wisdom on shot placement.I agree with you.Does a .308 typically leave a good blood trail because I never can get a good blood trail with my .243 for some reason.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:39 PM

15,579 posts, read 7,596,973 times
Quote:
Oh okay thank you very much for your wisdom on shot placement.I agree with you.Does a .308 typically leave a good blood trail because I never can get a good blood trail with my .243 for some reason.
It depends. With a lung shot, you get a lot of frothy blood out of the nose and mouth. A heart shot will usually bleed some, but you have to look carefully in the gaps. Using good bullets helps. I use Federal Premium with Sierra 165 gr boat tail spitzer bullets. When I bought the rifle from a friend, he gave me 8 boxes of that ammo. I'm almost out, so bought a box of those bullets from Midway, and will load 100 rounds using some of my spare .308 brass. The Sierra's expand well and out of 10 deer, I've had one bullet that did not go all the way through the deer.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:46 PM

50,484 posts, read 47,246,513 times
Quote:

ding, best response.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:59 PM

Quote:
It depends. With a lung shot, you get a lot of frothy blood out of the nose and mouth. A heart shot will usually bleed some, but you have to look carefully in the gaps. Using good bullets helps. I use Federal Premium with Sierra 165 gr boat tail spitzer bullets. When I bought the rifle from a friend, he gave me 8 boxes of that ammo. I'm almost out, so bought a box of those bullets from Midway, and will load 100 rounds using some of my spare .308 brass. The Sierra's expand well and out of 10 deer, I've had one bullet that did not go all the way through the deer.
How well does non-premium standard cup-and-core soft point ammo work for the .308?Plain soft points have done pretty well in my .243.Is the Sierra 165 Grain boat tail spitzer a premium bullet?I am not familiar with all the different bullets on the market today.I know its premium ammo but does the bullet itself act like a bonded or controlled-expansion one?I am a dirt poor man so I cant afford premium ammo.Can a .308 be effective on deer out to 330 yards because thats the furthest I would shooting.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:04 PM

19,873 posts, read 22,777,197 times
Quote:

Generally I don't shoot the shoulders. I use the meat. I do the crease- right behind the shoulder either pure broadside or angling to my favor. What I've found is that at close range (like stand hunting in WV), a .30-06 with factory Rem corelokt rounds will pencil through and not really expand to full potential. I've had deer hit with Rem Corelokt that certainly took off, some leaving a blood trail through a corn field that surprised me how far they went before piling up.

When I switched over a .257 Roberts again using corelokt- totally different. Double lungers or crease shots never had a deer run more than 15 steps- 30yds or so.

Speed and ballistics matter. There are bullets that perform well at closer ranges and slower velocities, and others that need a little range to lower velocities for full performance, and others that are good at both. Usually the premium rounds offer good performance all around.

That being said- I have had occasions where I anchored deer in the front shoulder going for a heart shot. A big old mule deer a few years ago was one. He was REALLY close to the CN border so I wanted him down like NOW. 400+ yards with a 7mm-mag using a Nosler partition did just the trick.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62353407-post39.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62354173-post40.html

Old 05-05-2024, 08:31 PM

432 posts, read 978,834 times
Quote:
Well I would get a semi-automatic .308/7.62 NATO but my mom and dad forbid me from getting one for now so it would have to be bolt action for the time being until we buy another ranch if we ever do.I am not allowed to get any semi-automatic centerfires according to my parents.My dad does thinks the good old .30-06 kicks too much and is too big of a gun for me.
You could get a bolt action 30-06 and learn how to reload. If it kicks too much for you with the store ammo, get a reloading manual and you can use less powder and a lighter bullet to get a decent round that you can handle. Then as you get older and better at shooting you can start up loading the rounds. Reloading also saves you money and practice is what makes you a good shooter.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:37 PM

432 posts, read 978,834 times
Quote:
A bolt action in 6.5 Creedmoor would be better than a .270. I have never thought the .270 is that good. It's a long case, same length as the .30-06, and felt recoil is far higher than a .308 or 6.5.

The first round used in the M1 Garand was the .276 Pedersen, which is about the same length as a .308 case but with a smaller base. Douglas McArthur forced the use of .30-06 because there were large stocks of ammunition and factories set up to make it in large quantities.

The 7.62x51 (.308) was developed as a shorter cartridge with ballistics similar to the .30-06 due to new smokeless powders that provided enough energy to achieve 2700 fps with a 150gr bullet(later 147gr).
I prefer older rounds that you can pick up in a rural hardware store. The CM 6.5 is still a relatively new round so it would be less likely you could find it easily. Douglas Mac served in WW ONE and he was well aware of how we ended up with the Model 1917 Enfield. He did not a repeat of that mess in regards to ammo so as Chief of Staff he made the call.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
You could get a bolt action 30-06 and learn how to reload. If it kicks too much for you with the store ammo, get a reloading manual and you can use less powder and a lighter bullet to get a decent round that you can handle. Then as you get older and better at shooting you can start up loading the rounds. Reloading also saves you money and practice is what makes you a good shooter.
Well my dad changed his mind and he wont let me get a .308 or .30-06 or any gun whatsoever this year for the coming deer season in the fall so I am stuck hunting with my .243 again this year despite my wishes.He is making me wait till the following deer season so the earliest I would be using a .308 or .30-06 on a whitetail in Texas will be November 2025.My fishing guide thinks the good old .30-06 kicks too much for me.My dad previously committed to letting me get a new rifle for this deer season but now he forbids it so I am so very out of luck with buying a new gun this year.My dad is not willing to reload with me. Sorry for the trouble guys but my mom and dad wont let me buy any guns this year so their house their rules.I am not allowed to buy guns at this time because my mom and dad forbid it and I have to honor them by going without a new gun purchase this year

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 05-05-2024 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting