Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

In the south east in the back lands there are feral dogs that will hunt man. What I mean is if you are way rural and break down with a flat you can be challanged by a pack of little dogs that are gray with peaked ears like a small german shepard dog would look like, but these range in packs.

Basicly this happened to me and I had a fight on my hands to get on the road again. it wasn't any fun at all.

Elsewhere at CD, there is a feral cat topic, but I bet the cat isn't feral. it is more likely long term stray, and once lived with man as a pet.

In the thread the person can handle this cat sometimes. No real all its life feral cat will allow anything like that.

I have just tilled the garden and find cat tracks in the fresh tilled loam, and no one near us has cats. The closest neighbors are 3/4 mile away, and have 3 or 4 dogs and no cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the .22-250 and the 220.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 PM

378 posts, read 424,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, a murderer is a person who kills another human. Killing an animal is not murder but rather quite natural for a species that is a hunter-gatherer just as it is with any animal that hunts.

Now some behavior is not acceptable, but killing animals in general is not the same as murder or cruelty.

Wrong.

Hunting is no longer considered necessary in the human species.

. . . killing animals is not the same as murder - or cruelty?!

WRONG.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
Wrong.

WRONG.
"
. . . killing animals is not the same as murder - or cruelty?! " No your wrong, and who said,

"Hunting is no longer considered necessary in the human species."

Because there are Govt hunters out killing deer to just waste them all the time to keep roads safe.

Lookin like your Wrong again.

And the definition of murder is people killing other people in a unlawful mannor. Wrong again...

Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
It depends on the situation. In self-defense, of course it's OK. To keep a species from overpopulating, like feral hogs and deer here in TX, it's OK. Just to shoot animals to watch them die is murder.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
Wrong.

WRONG.
Speak for yourself. I eat meat, and I prefer wild meat, it's far healthier and more humane than most store bought meat. Humans are hunter-gatherers. Maybe someone in some city who doesn't even know where food comes from can say that but that doesn't go far out here in rural places like Vermont.

I take it you've also never encountered starving deer in the winter? Either some of them are hunted, or they will starve come winter when there's little food to support a large population. It's really not a nice scene when you find a deer that starved to death in the winter...

Old 05-23-2010, 12:35 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
In the south east in the back lands there are feral dogs that will hunt man. What I mean is if you are way rural and break down with a flat you can be challanged by a pack of little dogs that are gray with peaked ears like a small german shepard dog would look like, but these range in packs.

Basicly this happened to me and I had a fight on my hands to get on the road again. it wasn't any fun at all.

Elsewhere at CD, there is a feral cat topic, but I bet the cat isn't feral. it is more likely long term stray, and once lived with man as a pet.

In the thread the person can handle this cat sometimes. No real all its life feral cat will allow anything like that.

I have just tilled the garden and find cat tracks in the fresh tilled loam, and no one near us has cats. The closest neighbors are 3/4 mile away, and have 3 or 4 dogs and no cats.
I suppose one could make the distinction twixt dumped or strayed and gone wild to being born wild in the context of 'feral'. It's putting a pretty fine point on it though. To me, a 'feral' cat is one that hunts for it's food and litters it's kittens away from human contact. We have barn cats, that are pretty shy , but will come to people anyway, and then we have ferals, which, as you said, allow NO human contact other than a .22 long rifle. It's easy to tell the difference. Feral( or just plain wild or 'long term stray if you will) are a menace and VERY destructive. I have a strong distaste for feral cats, and a stronger distaste for the people who dump cats , and dogs, out here near my spread as if the room we have somehow makes us able to provide for these animals for no better reason than their former owners could not, or would not. To delsi, you speak of that which you know nothing about. I have to kill many of the animals I speak of here, or they will clean me out. Feral cats slaughter our game birds and chickens, feral dogs kill our cattle and horses, and have attacked people as well, including my son and I and my wife once. Coyotes kill our cattle and horses as well, and the feral dogs interbreed with them creating a whole new class of predator. A formidable one at that. See pic of a coydog on my profile. Serious customer, and this one was 'tamed'. Sorry, but keeping predators and varmints thinned out is absolutely necessary, and is NOT 'murder' by any stretch. The notion is laughable, but I can forgive a certain amount of ignorance given your obvious lack of experience in the matter. We do hunt varmints as a form of recreation, that I will admit to. We consider it a test of skill, calling them in, and it serves a dual purpose. Still not 'murder', but there is killing involved, as ...insensitive...as some may find that fact.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,557 times
I'd have to agree w/ others here about the problem with feral cats. Feral cats are a huge problem and are totally devastating to the native song-bird populations and other native species that are burrowing or live low to the ground. I go after feral cats all the time. The biggest crime is (sadly) the crazy "cat lady" types that feed feral cats and other totally irresponsible "pet owners" that dump unwanted animals like so much trash. These animals either die long painful miserable deaths from disease or starvation (feral cats don't get regular vet visits) or they start to forage to survive killing whatever small creature they can snag. I love animals, but I take them for what they are a population that MUST BE PROPERLY MANAGED....NOT JUST LET LOOSE. My family has almost never bought a pet from a "puppy" or "kitten" mill, all our pets have been animals we rescued off the street. The last cat I rescued was a completely domesticated cat that I found by the train tracks, starving and emaciated, drenched by the rain. I spirited him onto the train hidden in my parka without the Conductor noticing. I got the cat to the vet after feeding him at home only to discover that he had Feline Leukemia. (which is why he was probably dumped, owners didn't want to deal with putting him "down"...so somehow they arrived at the conclusion, a totally inhumane and erroneous conclusion, that it was better to put the cat out on the street to die...slowly and miserably....)
Domestic pets are a responsibility and need to be cared for. One has to be a good steward and ensure that pets do not become a hazard. Wild animals are not pets and are best left to the wild.
So, I kill feral cats too. I've saved a number of newborn feral cats (trying to catch them before they go totally wild) by taking them to the pound....were I found out they were only "put-down" "euthanized" ie killed because no one would adopt them. Spay and Neuter your pets! Keep them fed and cared for so they are less likely to kill all the native creatures that we ALSO LOVE AND ENJOY!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
This year alone here on the Texas south High Plains I've lost three cats and two dogs to coyotes. I've never hunted varmints but right now I am leaning toward a new varmint rifle (possibly a .223 Remington or a .243 Winchester) and an electronic predator call. I have several .22 rifles as well as my 30-06 but feel that the first is too little and the later is too much for our fat and healthy Wile E. Coyotes. Any recommendations on coyote rifles and/or electronic calls?

Or maybe at my age I should just get some young "fellers" out of Lubbock to come out?
I use a 788 Remington .243, my son favors his new 700 VTR 22-250 for yotes. We are currently using a Jonny Stewart preymaster call with 200 yard remote. We are going to get a Foxpro. The most effective call is the 'house cat distress' followed closely by the rabbit distress. For 'educated' dogs the challenge howl works well, but you HAVE to hide well and be VERY patient for this. I don't have a bit of issue using my 06 on yotes, usualy with 150 grain pills, but I like the .243 for recoil and flatter shooting, bullets I use range from 80 -100 grains with the 100 taking the #1 slot because of versatility and shock power. I don't want them getting back up, and have seen them do so after taking a clean behind the shoulder hit with lighter slugs. My son uses the 62 grain V Shock in his 22-250, and despite it's light weight, a clean shot puts them right down, so, I am being a bit old school with the heavy .243, but, I'm stuck in my ways. That plus the heavier bullet can do double duty for deer, I would NOT recommend the 22 250 for anything over yotes.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:30 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,021 times
After a rabid coon latched onto the snout of our beloved black lab one night while he was guarding the chicken yard, and my Dad had to kill the coon to get him off our dog, we had to hear from the vet that our dog's wounds were fatal -- a mercy.

Raccoons in rural areas around livestock are PREDATORS AND PESTS.

Dad trapped and dispatched every one he could get until we got the local population of these vermin under control. And he posted a sign over the chicken yard:

R.I.P. BLITZ: Good Dog

THE ONLY GOOD RACCOON IS A DEAD RACCOON

I still feel that way 40 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting