Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 01:43 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recommend how I can dye my daughters hair from dark brown (dye) to light brown-reddish color without totally turning it orange......and I rather not take her to the salon and pay hundreds of dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
There may be a way, but sounds very risky. I would cough up the money and go to a salon or forget it...unless you and daughter are real risk-takers! I have tried to lighten my light brown hair to dark blonde (at home) and it came out very orangey-red. I don't think it can likely be done with a one-step process. I can't even imagine what could happen with darker hair.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks- I plan on going to the salon....

Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Yes, very tricky to 'lift' dark brown dye to the level you disire. I would definitly go the salon route if possible!

Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
If you've already dyed your hair darm brown, there is no way to "lift" it by coloring over it. I suggest hi-lights.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
Oh yes you can and I have. I am assuming this is caucasian hair of normal type.If not, my advice will not apply. And of course you will feel worse if you mess it up than if it were your hair. But its not so hard.

Its still not cheap but here's the way I finally found that lifts but not to orange.

Use Feria Ultra light brown designed for darkest hair I think its Downtown Brown. Leave for 45 minutes.Longer than directed, sorry its true! Use on hair washed 1-2 days before and deep conditioned, but well rinsed, no products like mousse or gel. Clean and conditioned. Follow directions, esp about applying to roots last, or the heat from her scalp will overlighten her roots. Deep condition.

This will probably not lift enough, despite the pictured results. But have her rest her hair for a day or two. Next, apply a highlighting kit for dark blond highlights on dark hair, usually "pecan",I like Loreal. Mix this solution as directed and create big chunky highlights with a coloring brush about 1" from the root. They will be dyed over with red-blonde so do not get too worried. VERY LIGHTLY use a great big COMB to brush these highlights into ALL(down from roots) the hair. Once this is done, LEAVE IT!Don't comb again the hair is very fragile Pemember to leave the roots or they will go too light, its much better to have them a bit deeper and you have already lightened them Let the hair process for about 15-20 ONLY!! minutes- remember you have already lightened half way before. The hair should look gingery and pale but not blonde.
Rinse and deep condition with packaged product.

The hair will be an odd color but you have effectively LIFTED and can now tint to the color she really wants, not a brassy orange but a pure lighter red. To tint, use Natural Instincts or some other non- lifting color. Its applied to damp hair, and stays on for only 7-10 minutes and is your final glaze. She can choose her red color, and can mix in some light brown as I do.It goes over the whole head, I only leave it on 3 minutes, for a soft effect. She may want an intense color. But remember the hair is now VERY pourous.

The effect is very natural and the roots are not a crazy light red. If you paint the highlights in carefully , its a very expensive look when you overdye. It takes a LONG time, but I can say I have done it and it works. She will need to repeat the Natural Instincts as it fades but this part is not damaging, and is easy to do in the shower.

Just make sure she protects her eyes! Be careful and not distracted, as of course you are not an expert and she is your precious kid. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 AM

wow thanks hart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care