Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times

Advertisements

I used Clairol Condition in the 70s. You put it in and left it in for 30 minutes then rinsed it out. It really made hair shiny and silky. I did a Google search and actually found it. I don't think they make it anymore.

1975 Clairol Condition Beauty Pack Treatment Ad

Could be diet too. I think we had more real food then, less fast food, less processed food, less preservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 06:32 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Prell shampoo is what I was told to use when my hair color came out too dark or as a clarifying shampoo. I haven't even seen it in the stores in years. It's a horrible product unless you have super oily hair.

Most people shampoo more than they need to and these days most women are using blow dryers and flat irons on a regular basis. All of that is very drying to the hair. Plus I see very few hairstyles that lend itself to a real shiny look which you get the best when the natural hair is long, straight and dark. Styles today are more piecy and textured so we are not seeing a lot of shine.

Back in the late 60's, early 70's, we didn't even use a blow dryer. We shampooed, didn't even use a conditioner and then put giant rollers in our hair which we had to try and sleep with. For a special occasion I might use electric rollers. My hair was always shiny and down to my bra strap and it was a medium brown with some auburn in it that was natural. I don't think I even owned a blow dryer until 1976.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 03-25-2017 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 09:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Prell shampoo is what I was told to use when my hair color came out too dark or as a clarifying shampoo. I haven't even seen it in the stores in years. It's a horrible product unless you have super oily hair.

Most people shampoo more than they need to and these days most women are using blow dryers and flat irons on a regular basis. All of that is very drying to the hair. Plus I see very few hairstyles that lend itself to a real shiny look which you get the best when the natural hair is long, straight and dark. Styles today are more piecy and textured so we are not seeing a lot of shine.

Back in the late 60's, early 70's, we didn't even use a blow dryer. We shampooed, didn't even use a conditioner and then put giant rollers in our hair which we had to try and sleep with. For a special occasion I might use electric rollers. My hair was always shiny and down to my bra strap and it was a medium brown with some auburn in it that was natural. I don't think I even owned a blow dryer until 1976.
I was using a blow dryer in the seventies. In the sixties, no.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I used Clairol Condition in the 70s. You put it in and left it in for 30 minutes then rinsed it out. It really made hair shiny and silky. I did a Google search and actually found it. I don't think they make it anymore.

1975 Clairol Condition Beauty Pack Treatment Ad

Could be diet too. I think we had more real food then, less fast food, less processed food, less preservatives.

Thx for that link -- the ads would be fun for framing, even though high school and college was in the '60''s for moi. (I can remember using Johnson's Baby Shampoo or Prell), it wasn't harsh. We didn't have umpteen brands or types of shampoo, and there were no 'designers', just movie stars to emulate.

However, I don't think we washed our hair every day in the shower either, like many of us do today. We used shower caps, and had a spray hose we could attach to the kitchen sink for shampooing.) And there were several types of 'rollers'. I wore my hair in a page-boy for years, rollers were a major necessity, and you stayed in the house or yard until your hair was dry.

Do y'all remember using "hair spray" to keep hair from 'moving'?

Old 04-13-2017, 12:55 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I was flipping through the channels last night and came to the Hallmark channel and an episode of The Bob Newhart Show.

I don't know what was going on or what the episode was about but I was shell shocked at this lady's hair. It was maybe waist length and platnim blond and SHINY as all get out.

Then I started to think and realized that women had REALLY shiny and healthy looking hair back then.

What the crap were they doing to it and what happened? I know her hair was probably dyed because she had no dark roots. But in comparing her hair to say Gwen Stefani today, Gwen's blond looks really dry.

This hair was like a Pantene commercial and women had hair like this every day.

Every woman of every race had such shiny and healthy looking hair.

What happened to these products and hair care?
TV star's hair would get better treatment than ordinary ladies would have.

I was in my twenties in the early 70s. I strove for my hair to be curly and long - the cool look in my town then. I don't remember if short hair wasn't a favored cut or "beautiful" yet. Hair stylists did not give razor cuts or own texturing scissors. I never heard of mousse back then. Maybe I was too sheltered?

There was still cause for damaged hair in the 70s. Ogilvy permanents were very common. Over spraying dried out hair and made it brittle just like it does today. Hair dye was not used often like it is now.
I'd never heard of deep conditioning treatments.

Men used Brylcreem to kind of paste their hair flat for either short or shoulder length hair.
The soft bonnet hair dryers were still used a lot then to dry hair in curlers. The hand-held blow dryers were a novelty to me and so were the hot rollers and curling irons. Every girl I knew used a ton of hairspray (Adorn was popular even with hair stylists).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care