Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,379 times

Advertisements

I am a mother of 14 year old son, who has very long curly hair (past his butt) and loves it. He plans to go for a summer boot camp, but we do not know if there are induction haircuts (you know, buzzing to 3mm). He is very sad and scared about it, but he told me he could go for short hair once in whole life, but only once. Wh at should I do? SHould I give him a buzzcut before he goes if it is required? Should he go for it, if he had to remove his lovely hair or stay? I think it would be very scary for him to loose his very long hair, loved by him so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
Call the camp and ask. If they require a buzzcut, go to a local salon beforehand and at least let them cut it for Locks of Love (they provide wigs to children undergoing cancer treatment).

Old 03-02-2012, 06:20 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
I think it would be safer for him to have short hair if they are rough housing around and really training them to climb etc. Why not talk about donating his hair to "locks of love" for kids with cancer? He may end up liking the short hair in the end, and if not, it will grow back.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
I would just call the camp and ask them if they cut hair.... It doesn't sound like your son is going to some sort of troubled teens camp, so I wouldn't think that they would cut his hair (?)

I'm a former Marine myself - I had quite long hair when I was on active duty and if he does keep his hair he might want to make sure he has some way to bind it up and keep it out of the way while he's there.

If he does get it cut - I'd recommend Pantene program over Locks of Love. They seem to have a better track record, IMO

Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
Like others said, but do not use Locks of Love. They mislead folks into believing their wigs go to children with cancer when they more often go to kids with alopecia (still a good cause, but not what people think they're giving to) and they've had some fishy financials, producing very few wigs and yet taking in a huge amount of money, supposedly to cover production costs.

I also recommend the Pantene program. It has a better reputation and goes to women and children with cancer.

He can always grow it back if he wants. I rather dislike folks with long hair who are bizarrely attached to it and have never tried short hair. If a person is so in love with their hair that they have nightmares about cutting it or cry if it's cut above chest level, then I think they need to reevaluate their priorities.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
If having long hair is more important then dont send him.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyhollyfan View Post
I am a mother of 14 year old son, who has very long curly hair (past his butt).

Wow, will this be his first haircut or something?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care